Westchase Living

VIP

Hi,

Come September, I will be working in uptown and living near Westchase (Estancia at Shadowlake). I just wanted to know anyone's take on the Westchase District. I've explored the area, and it seems to be quite a fit for people who work in the uptown/galleria area. I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions. Thanks.

- VIP

Hi,

Come September, I will be working in uptown and living near Westchase (Estancia at Shadowlake).  I just wanted to know anyone's take on the Westchase District.  I've explored the area, and it seems to be quite a fit for people who work in the uptown/galleria area.  I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions.  Thanks.

- VIP

I grew up in Briargrove Park which is right on the edge of the area. I loved the area and love it even more not that Westhiemer has been so built up from BW8 to Highway 6. When I was growing up there were a lot of feilds along that stretch. I think you will like the area and the commute should be reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Couple of comments on Westchase (to which I moved 1.5 years ago):

There are some nice neighborhoods out here. There are also some nice, clean apartment complexes, as well as some not-so-nice complexes. Overall it's more generic of an area than you'll find in Montrose / Heights.

A very nice thing about this area is the Terry Hershey park along Buffalo Bayou. It's a godsend for bikers and runners. It's a well maintained trail along the Bayou, stretching from Beltway 8 out to Highway 6. Easy access for all Westchase area residents! There are also some nice mountain biking trails right along the banks of the bayou.

And, regarding the median work on Westheimer: it appears many of the standard median openings were closed off, probably for safety reasons (cars backing up traffic trying to turn left or make U-turn). Also, as has been stated, many of the left turn lanes have been lengthened - also in the interest of keeping traffic from backing up in the main lanes. All in all, a very good idea in my opinion.

I think there are some nice apartments on hayes road called Citywest.  But on the same street after you pass over Westhimer, those apartment (I forget the name) are nasty.

I think they are Westchase Ranch and a couple of others. The slabs have bent and cracked so much on a lot of those that the plumbing is forever snapping, resulting in breaks that force the water to be shut off while repairs are done.

Yes, CityWest is a nice, clean complex, and there are others along Westheimer as you go west towards Woodland Park. But the complexs further north on Hayes towards Briar Forest, in paricular the one at Hayes and Olympia, are more shady. I think there was a shooting there a few months ago. But then there are nice neighborhoods just across Hayes and across Wilcrest from these complexes.

Likewise there are some run-down apartment complexes along Kirkwood interspersed among nice residential neighborhoods. No zoning. That's Houston!

A very nice thing about this area is the Terry Hershey park along Buffalo Bayou. It's a godsend for bikers and runners.

I love Terry Hershey Park, it's great! I take my dogs there off the path where all the people are because they like to go play in the creeks, it's such a nice area. But anyways, what's the deal with West 8 (right name?)? Is it supposed to be an office park, or more mixed use like they are trying to do at Town & Country? Is the project stalled?

I love Terry Hershey Park, it's great! I take my dogs there off the path where all the people are because they like to go play in the creeks, it's such a nice area. 

I wish they could extend Terry Hershey Park further into town. Ideally, wouldn't it be great if it would connect with the trails along Allen Parkway and Memorial Parkway east of Shepherd? Of course, that means going through the River Oaks and Memorial areas, which probably have large houses already bordering the bayou. And, I don't think they'll allow a bike trail through River Oaks Country Club...

• 2 weeks later...

Another friend of mine lives in Briar Forest. She once lived in a townhome but she upgraded to a "McMansion" because the townhome was too small for a family of five (one sister had to stay in a closet behind her parents' room - It was an interesting house, but it was too small).

I asked her where she would raise her kids if she lived in Houston; she says she would raise them in Briar Forest.

Are Briar Forest's schools (Bush, Walnut Bend, Ashford, Askew, Shadowbriar, Revere, West Briar, and Westside) good?

Archived