Black Friday 2008: What did you buy?

Like Barracuda, I'm a big believer in Buy Nothing Day.

My concessions to commerce were dinner at Ninfas last night with out of town guests, and buying a bag of cat food this afternoon. It was nearly a buy nothing long weekend.

No offense to Native Son, who was being a stand-up brother, but it troubles me that I see so many multigenerational packs of women, getting up a 4 am to shop because it's holiday 'tradition'. So after they've cooked all day (for two or more days, sometimes) and cleaned up, they deprive themselves of sleep on a holiday to get up at 3 am to buy crap for the same people who sat on their asses watching football after thanksgiving dinner while they washed dishes. Brilliant. Black Friday shopping skills will take those young girls far in life.

No offense taken. However, it was not the women in the crowd who were showing their shopping "skills." Grown me were fighting, and I know what a fight looks like, over TV's, and blueray players..it was a sight to behold....Merry Christmas to all

No offense taken. However, it was not the women in the crowd who were showing their shopping "skills." Grown me were fighting, and I know what a fight looks like, over TV's, and blueray players..it was a sight to behold....Merry Christmas to all

And the sad thing is that these people are fighting over junk. I mean, it's all probably worth pennies on the dollar anyhow.

Marketing. In lieu of a cultural identity, we shop.

Or at the very least, stay home and consume things we previously shopped for, like vodka. :)

A black Friday for alcohol would be an incredibly good/bad idea. Good for me, bad for liquor store.

A black Friday for alcohol would be an incredibly good/bad idea. Good for me, bad for liquor store.

I would make an excpetion to Buy Nothing Day for that.

Can you see people with their sleeping bags out in front of the big Specs? Ha.

In lieu of shopping, we were drinking beer and eating fresh hotlinks at 11am. That's what the holidays are for, old friends, booze, and sausages!

Archived