2009 Nissan GT-R

TJones

Agreed, but in order for you to get MORE torque to the wheels and rev sky high you have to turn off the VDC while it is in R-mode, this is how their "Launch Control" works according to Edmunds. That is how they achieved those numbers. You see, with the VDC ON, you cannot get the power braking needed for launch, because the engine will power down. And before any of you can say, "Well Nissan should tell us that is how the numbers were achieved." Porsche didn't tell you, Ferrari didn't tell you, Chevy didn't tell you. However, Nissan cannot make it anymore clear that you are NOT to turn the VDC off for any other reason than that I have mentioned earlier, and if you choose to do so, it is at your own detriment. I would expect users of this forum to have a little more common sense, after all, you had the ability to find HAIF, so we are definately an above average crowd. So do not expect your transmission to be covered under the warranty for doing foolish things with it. This is not in any fineprint either, this also is the way a Porsche warranty works, a Ferrari warranty works, a Corvette warranty works, this is how your Kia Rio's warranty works also.

You still haven't put forth an alternate use for the feature formerly known as "launch control"

If Nissan didn't want people launching the car they could've easily obviated the feature by preventing the transaxle from dumping the clutches in potentially harmful RPM or torque ranges. We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that the clutch packs are controlled EXCLUSIVELY by the computer.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You took my statement out of context.

"If I buy an $80k performance vehicle, I don't want to drive the car like I'm in a NASCAR race. The maintenance of that is expensive (even before warranty-voided repairs) and the experience of going around and around a track is boring. I'm going to want to accelerate chicks from 0 to 60 in 3.4 seconds. Never mind that they have no concept of automotive engineering, if I'm going to buy an $80k performance vehicle, I'm going to be so delusional as to think that it'll impress chicks because the salesman told me it would..."

Are you saying that I'm just that delusional that I would buy into something a car salesman told me? I had a Nissan salesman at a dealership tell me exactly that about a used 350Z. That lameass line didn't work on me then, and it won't work on me now.

I don't know what is a reasonable definition of "abuse" as set forth in their warranty. When in doubt, reasonable people ask questions. I am in doubt. I'm asking a question. Can you give me a straight answer: yes or no?

I understand, and I have always thought you were a reasonable person. Nissan has a formula, they take the information given by the black box on board, and interpret the data, like you were asking earlier. AxY/F =Voided Warranty. The way I sell the car is NOT by overhyping the performance numbers. I know the dangers in doing that. Also, most people willing to spend $83k on this car, KNOW what they are getting into, and KNOW that they aren't going to try and hurt the car. Niche, when you were thinking about buying the Rx-8, did I say, "Oh, you'll be a chick magnet, this car gets'em wet !!! ?" There has still been no "log" produced of how many warranty claims there have been. Nissan has not produced any literature or emails(service advisories) to my service advisors about any problems with the car's tranny. It is all just a bunch of internet rumor B.S.

jm1, the engineers obviously expected everyone to read their manuals, they even went so far as to give a warning to NOT turn the VDC off unless under this conditon. Turning the VDC off is the only way to gain this "Launch Control trick". The engineers also stated in the manual what the intended use for turning the VDC off is exclusively for. So, the alternative is actually the "Launch Control trick" that voids the warranty, not vice versa.

Oh, you and meme, REALLY need to read this link:

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6356422/techno...aged/index.html

jm1, the engineers obviously expected everyone to read their manuals, they even went so far as to give a warning to NOT turn the VDC off unless under this conditon. Turning the VDC off is the only way to gain this "Launch Control trick". The engineers also stated in the manual what the intended use for turning the VDC off is exclusively for. So, the alternative is actually the "Launch Control trick" that voids the warranty, not vice versa.

Not according to the article you just said I REALLY need to read:

According to Nissan's PR department, using launch control on the GT-R does not automatically void warranty claims on damage to the car. Ditto for turning off the VDC. In addition, using launch control with VDC off does not automatically void warranty coverage.

Not according to the article you just said I REALLY need to read:

Apologies, ABUSE of the "Launch Control trick" is what will void the warranty. Abuse has always been the focal point here.

"While no one but Nissan's claims department is privy to the formula it uses to determine when acceptable use becomes outright abuse, it is important to note that Nissan is far from the only manufacturer that can and will deny a warranty claim due to blatant misuse of a vehicle."

Apologies, ABUSE of the "Launch Control trick" is what will void the warranty. Abuse has always been the focal point here.

"While no one but Nissan's claims department is privy to the formula it uses to determine when acceptable use becomes outright abuse, it is important to note that Nissan is far from the only manufacturer that can and will deny a warranty claim due to blatant misuse of a vehicle."

So you void the warranty if you abuse the vehicle, but no one from Nissan will tell you what constitutes abuse. That's pretty convenient. Sounds illegal to me.

So you void the warranty if you abuse the vehicle, but no one from Nissan will tell you what constitutes abuse. That's pretty convenient. Sounds illegal to me.

No one is privy to the info. on your GT-R's black box either. Just you, and the authorized mechanic who turns the info over to the claims dept. So, they will have a sitdown with you to discuss the information obtained and your driving habits before they either approve or deny your claim. That's fair enough, isn't it ?

No one is privy to the info. on your GT-R's black box either. Just you, and the authorized mechanic who turns the info over to the claims dept. So, they will have a sitdown with you to discuss you driving habits before they either approve or deny your claim. That's fair enough, isn't it ?

From what you & Motor Trend say, Nissan is free to refuse warranty service at any time. They could define any use as abuse. That doesn't just sound unfair, it sounds illegal.

From what you & Motor Trend say, Nissan is free to refuse warranty service at any time. They could define any use as abuse. That doesn't just sound unfair, it sounds illegal.

You believe what you want to believe, I am just telling you Nissan will discuss the matter with you fully, and I believe that there is arbitration available also if you wish. BTW, will you take MT's take on the "LC" delete for next year over Kelly's at Edmund's? We have recieved no emails or phonecalls about a deletion of the VDC off control here at the dealership either.

You believe what you want to believe, I am just telling you Nissan will discuss the matter with you fully, and I believe that there is arbitration available also if you wish.

Sure, anyone can sue anyone.

BTW, will you take MT's take on the "LC" delete for next year over Kelly's at Edmund's? We have recieved no emails or phonecalls about a deletion of the VDC off control here at the dealership either.

I'll take both of them. It sounds like Nissan has said LC will be removed and also said they haven't made a decision yet.

Just to put a little more flame on the fire.....Porsche may have disclaimers in their warranty info about racing...but PCNA (Porsche Cars North America) and PCA (Porsche Club of America) both encourage their customers/members to explore the performance of their cars in organized Drivers Education/trackday type events. The Porsche experience is not about 0-60 times but more about the overall balance and handling envelope of the car, and yes they are made to stand up to it. I have been able to take my Cayman S twice to DE events at a private track near San Marcos, both events were PCA sponsored and featured PCNA employees at them giving out driving tips and goodies. Ferrari and Lotus do this too, they have Cup programs that even encourage their customers to race their cars at company supported events. This is not meant to be hatin' on the GT-R, but until Nissan realizes that if you want to sell a performance car, you also need to back that up with corporate support.

Just to put a little more flame on the fire.....Porsche may have disclaimers in their warranty info about racing...but PCNA (Porsche Cars North America) and PCA (Porsche Club of America) both encourage their customers/members to explore the performance of their cars in organized Drivers Education/trackday type events. The Porsche experience is not about 0-60 times but more about the overall balance and handling envelope of the car, and yes they are made to stand up to it. I have been able to take my Cayman S twice to DE events at a private track near San Marcos, both events were PCA sponsored and featured PCNA employees at them giving out driving tips and goodies. Ferrari and Lotus do this too, they have Cup programs that even encourage their customers to race their cars at company supported events. This is not meant to be hatin' on the GT-R, but until Nissan realizes that if you want to sell a performance car, you also need to back that up with corporate support.

Eh!, you are about 18 hours too late for anymore fuel. Thanks for coming to the party though.

Ok boys and girls, the Black GT-R is no longer available, I sold it today and it has found a new home. We went over the whole thing, manuals and all concerning the vehicle. Yes, even told him about the VDC contorl. Another satisfied guest. Looks like it is gonna be a good Xmas.

Oh, my earlier post was about the fact that I found out the "magic number" for turning the VDC control off, so you can do burnouts. I can only tell you that it is under 20 times.

Oh, my earlier post was about the fact that I found out the "magic number" for turning the VDC control off, so you can do burnouts. I can only tell you that it is under 20 times.

So you can turn VDC off only somewhere under 20 times, but while VDC is off you can do an unlimited number launches?

So you can turn VDC off only somewhere under 20 times, but while VDC is off you can do an unlimited number launches?

This is where your common sense comes in jm1, or at least it is supposed to. Remember, the "black box" tells all. So, that would be somewhere under 20 times if you wanted to perform the "Launch Control" trick, it would seem. However, that may be only PART of the formula. Like I said, it is at your own detriment, how you wish to drive your GT-R. I would not recommend turning the VDC off and performing "unlimited launches." My best guess would be for everytime you turn the VDC off, you are granted ONE launch with that Golden Ticket.

This is where your common sense comes in jm1, or at least it is supposed to. Remember, the "black box" tells all. So, that would be somewhere under 20 times if you wanted to perform the "Launch Control" trick it would seem. However, that may be only PART of the formula. Like I said, it is at your own detriment, how you wish to drive your GT-R. I would not recommend turning the VDC off and performing "unlimited launches." My best guess would be for everytime you turn the VDC off, you are granted ONE launch with that Golden Ticket.

But then you're free to pay another $80k if you would like another ride, right?

But then you're free to pay another $80k if you would like another ride, right?

No, if you destroy the tranny and you have voided the warranty for your reckless driving, then it would make a much better move, monetarily, to simply have the transmision fixed.

No, if you destroy the tranny and you have voided the warranty for your reckless driving, then it would make a much better move, monetarily, to simply have the transmision fixed.

Of course. So you get, what, 2 rides for $20k? That's a bargain!

• 2 weeks later...
The Nissan GT-R is a full-fledged supercar at a "regular guy" price.

Top Gear had a go with it a couple of times in recently, and it's a charmer of a car. The price above is MSRP, which is good considering how rare this car is. If the economy wasn't hurting so much, it would be going for way above MSRP with a waiting list a year long.

torrent download:

http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/11/4/

http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/11/5/

$80K is not a "regular guy" price.

Archived