Obama Plates & Coins

TheNiche

Dark skin pigmentation is hardly an accomplishment or an enduring change in presidential politics. And that he got elected is less an indication of his own personal character than it is a reflection on changes in American culture.

I realize that there are those that disagree. What can I say about them? :shrug: They're wrong.

And what can I say about anything involving commemorative plates and coins except...they're tacky.

Well, the reason I think Obama got elected was of three reasons.

1) The media trashed Bush like hell and promoted Obama like heaven. Everyone listens to the media.

2) Here we have an African-American senator that isn't a buffoon like Al Sharpton or a nutcase like Jesse Jackson Jr.

3) McCain's campaign was...not so good.

So, Niche, I agree more or less what your saying. I respect the fact that he's the first half black President, and that is notable, but he's a shallow and no-name senator that really shouldn't have deserved the Presidency. I'd like to hear your opinions on this one.

Well, the reason I think Obama got elected was of three reasons.

1) The media trashed Bush like hell and promoted Obama like heaven. Everyone listens to the media.

2) Here we have an African-American senator that isn't a buffoon like Al Sharpton or a nutcase like Jesse Jackson Jr.

3) McCain's campaign was...not so good.

So, Niche, I agree more or less what your saying. I respect the fact that he's the first half black President, and that is notable, but he's a shallow and no-name senator that really shouldn't have deserved the Presidency. I'd like to hear your opinions on this one.

I more or less agree with you, but I place emphasis on #3. Had the election been held at certain points in the race, McCain may have won (or at least carried the popular vote). But he made a series of aggregious strategic and tactical errors, and effectively ran his campaign into the ground. ...but I'm going OT on my own thread, now.

At last count, 8,538,559 more people voted for Obama/Biden than McCain/Palin. That's a lot of voters.

Here's what I think; the Republican Party has relied on a coalition of country club Republicans (the owning class) and religious zealouts but that coalition fell apart this year. McCain has never been loved by the Religious Right so it didn't matter how much he changed his views for this election cycle. They were not fired up. Thus, to energize the base, the RNC had throw a bone to the zealouts and that bone was Palin. The problem arose when it became clear that people were paying much more attention to this election than in the recent past. Whether it was the terrible economy, the deficit, the two wars, or a host of any other reasons, there did appear to be a backlash against the Palin choice. I think this is best reflected by the fact of who voted for the Dems this time.

Obama did much better with people earning higher incomes than either Kerry or Gore. He did much better with highly educated people with graduate level degrees. He did better with college graduates than Kerry or Gore too.

In the end, Obama won 9 of the 10 most educated states (only loss was a close loss in Montana) and 12 of the top 15, including the flip of Virginia, Iowa, and New Hampshire.

I truly think the Republican Party has a problem on its hands. It needs to decide whether it wants to be the true conservative party (fiscal responsibility, small government, less regulations into personal lives) or the make believe conservative party that it's become (wild spending, governmental expansion, and invasions of privacy). If it doesn't, then it better hope the American Public goes back to not paying attention...

Archived