Is Diamond Beach Toast?

Does anyone know anything about the construction financing arrangements for Diamond Beach? I know the end of the seaweall in front of the site collapsed and eroded, and the gulf dug a stream/channel through the site.

The channel was filled in by bulldozer several weeks later.

I've been wondering that myself. They have a note on their website that they are continuing, but the hurricane damage in the area had to at least call it into question. I would expect that at least some of the buyers who put down deposits are now having second thoughts.

I did see in the news recently that they are pulling the plug on the Sonoma and Titan condo projects in Houston since they couldn't obtain funding. I think those hadn't started yet whereas as Diamond Beach is already under construction. Even if Diamond Beach is still viable though, one would think they would consider delaying or mothballing the project until the economic picture improves. It just doesn't seem like a good time to buy an expensive condo like this right now.

I've been wondering that myself. They have a note on their website that they are continuing, but the hurricane damage in the area had to at least call it into question. I would expect that at least some of the buyers who put down deposits are now having second thoughts.

I did see in the news recently that they are pulling the plug on the Sonoma and Titan condo projects in Houston since they couldn't obtain funding. I think those hadn't started yet whereas as Diamond Beach is already under construction. Even if Diamond Beach is still viable though, one would think they would consider delaying or mothballing the project until the economic picture improves. It just doesn't seem like a good time to buy an expensive condo like this right now.

Titan was canceled???? That must have been in the subscriber-only portion of the HBJ article. :( That was gonna be an awesome building. Hopefully it'll still get done some time in the future.

Titan was canceled???? That must have been in the subscriber-only portion of the HBJ article. :( That was gonna be an awesome building. Hopefully it'll still get done some time in the future.

Not Cancelled. Yet.

From the article...

Slow-go and no-go

Projects that promised new office and living space are making slow or no headway in Houston.

Randall Davis Co. announced plans in September 2007 to build a 26-story condo tower on Post Oak, in place of an existing McDonald

Is this what all this hooplas all about? :D

http://www.newcondosonline.com/texas-condo...4-091907-95419/

869f87a3-7826-4d9f-8560-53c6a4983cb9_dt.jpgth_off2195.jpg

Yep, that's it. Their website is http://www.diamondbeachgalveston.com

Does anyone know if there are any other condo towers even under construction in Galveston right now besides DB? I presume nothing new is kicking off since developers can't get financing. Palisade Palms is complete as far as I know.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine noticed this article about a lawsuit against Randall Davis regarding the soundness of the development. It's an interesting ploy to get out of their contract and attempt to get their earnest money back. I wonder if this case has a chance, and I wonder if others are thinking of doing the same thing?

http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/216513-s...lveston-seawall

• 3 months later...

Looks like construction has started again, also this development did not collaspe.

We are pleased to report construction is moving full steam ahead at Diamond Beach Condominiums. Although we continue to experience some issues relating to Hurricane Ike, specifically as it relates to delivery of materials and supply of power, telephones and internet, the construction in place was relatively undamaged. The Seawall, parts of which were built 100 years ago to protect the Island from just such a storm, performed admirably. Despite the reports you may have seen in the news, Harris County Judge Ed Emmett was quoted saying,

• 7 months later...
  • The title was changed to Is Diamond Beach Toast?

Archived