Your best/most favorite date places in Houston

lockmat

My girlfriend and I enjoy the simple dates, dinner and a movie. Dinner could be anywhere decent, from Olive Garden to Melting Pot, and the movie at one of the two Edwards theaters, or just at home. After we may go sit on the rooftop of the hirise I live in and watch the Houston skyline (that always seems to impress almost every girl I've dated). I also enjoy going bowling, shooting pool and putt-putt but after being together for over 9 months now we're still yet to do any of those things... but we will!

Only bad thing about the dinner and a movie date is its a terrible, terrible idea for a first date! Never do it! Think about it, at dinner all you can do is talk and watch each other eat (awkward for some)... there are points where the conversation can stop and a few seconds of silence can turn the tide of the date very quickly, especially if either of you are nervous. And a movie is just the opposite... you can't say a word to each other till its over. Best to do something interactive, like a carnival, or anything where there is an activity so conversation can be situational and you both can just have fun, and save dinner and a movie for the 3rd or 4th date and after.

(For some reason I thought I'd just throw some dating advice in there, its bound to help someone, there was a point a few years ago when I wish I was told the "do's" and "do nots" like that)

Only bad thing about the dinner and a movie date is its a terrible, terrible idea for a first date! Never do it! Think about it, at dinner all you can do is talk and watch each other eat (awkward for some)... there are points where the conversation can stop and a few seconds of silence can turn the tide of the date very quickly, especially if either of you are nervous. And a movie is just the opposite... you can't say a word to each other till its over. Best to do something interactive, like a carnival, or anything where there is an activity so conversation can be situational and you both can just have fun, and save dinner and a movie for the 3rd or 4th date and after.

That's an interesting perspective, especially coming from a guy. I was never a fan of movie dates for just the reasons you mentioned. But you don't think a dinner date early on is a must? We need to know that our dates have table manners, some idea of good food, doesn't act like a jackass to waitstaff, etc. It does depend on the relative comfort level of the two people and how much time they've spent together. For me, a really good dinner date can seal the deal on guy in ways that other dates can't. But then again I prefer men who enjoy eating and drinking and talking a lot. For quieter people, I can totally see your point.

That's an interesting perspective, especially coming from a guy. I was never a fan of movie dates for just the reasons you mentioned. But you don't think a dinner date early on is a must? We need to know that our dates have table manners, some idea of good food, doesn't act like a jackass to waitstaff, etc. It does depend on the relative comfort level of the two people and how much time they've spent together. For me, a really good dinner date can seal the deal on guy in ways that other dates can't. But then again I prefer men who enjoy eating and drinking and talking a lot. For quieter people, I can totally see your point.

Well there's that and just that a dinner date provides for a raison d'etre, whereas a movie date seems a little scripted. Plus, the dinner date provides for relative intimacy. It forces non-situational conversation. For this, I especially recommend Russian Bear restaurant on Dairy-Ashford Road. They have booths with curtains and are also a divey ethnic restaurant. If your date isn't the adventurous type, you'll know it right away.

Exactly... its a date for seeing if the person is relationship material. People are first dates are getting to know each other better and are likely to be shy and nervous. It can be a potential mood-killer if one person is talkative and the other isn't. A one sided dominated conversation doesn't seem like the key to an overall mutual attraction.

Also its a case of younger daters vs older daters, and the "older" isn't even old. Maybe 30s and up? Established people whom know what they want, and have developed the proper social skills for dating, whether those skills came in early childhood, High School, or Post College even. But still there are problems even then which is why I recommend a dinner date that happens NOT on the first date, so there is a comfort period, and non situational conversation can be enjoyed rather than dreaded on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Not to mention you'll already have memories together to bring up if you can't think of anything else to talk about.

Last point I'll make is, the Dinner date, while great in so many ways, is an aged tradition. Keep it around, do it yes, but think outside the box too. Show your creative side by suggesting something interactive, inventive, and fun (especially if you're the guy). Whomever you are, how would you feel if you met up with your date, asked him/her what's the plan and they came out with... say, skydiving?

Not so much? Still it's creative. Well, I'm sure you can think of something better, and less death-defying. B)

Archived