Buying house... stucco & moisture issues? Please advise!

Ah ok. So Section 5 of that form would cover if there was mold and it got remediated. What section would cover if there was just possible water damage (no mold) and that got fixed? Like if stucco need to be fixed or flashing or gutters added?

Thanks.

Section 4

flipper

"Are you (Seller) aware of any item, equipment, or system in or on the Property that is in need of repair, which has not been previously disclosed in this notice?"

You know a lot better than me, but to me that reads that you need you disclose it if it is currently in need of repair and not if it has been repaired in the past. Not that I'd ever not disclose something required of me, but wouldn't volunteer past repairs if it was fixed already and not required to be disclosed.

Thank you very much for the replies. It has been a great help.

I don't want to drop out of this if I'm possibly just overblowing things. If I do go forward I would make sure it's going to work out. Would you suggest I get any sort of specific inspection done for final due diligence? Like a stucco or mold inspection? I've been quoted $1k to get both done. And if you think I should get more inspections, do you do that sort of work or do you know of someone good?

Thanks again very much!

You could try Dale Phillips inspection services. They use code certified inspectors. I don't have the number, but you can find them on the internet.

Ah ok. So Section 5 of that form would cover if there was mold and it got remediated. What section would cover if there was just possible water damage (no mold) and that got fixed? Like if stucco need to be fixed or flashing or gutters added?

Thanks.

Have your insurance agent pull a CLUE report on the property. That database keeps a history of claims and losses and the type. However, there is no "mold" option, just "water." So if there was a "water" claim for $200 or $1000... probably to fix a broken pipe. If there is an $85000 "water" claim, that was probably mold remediation. I wish they would fix their database so you would know for sure.

The house looks great. Buy it. Then in 10 years when all the stucco falls off, just put up hardi plank and be done with it.

Have your insurance agent pull a CLUE report on the property. That database keeps a history of claims and losses and the type. However, there is no "mold" option, just "water." So if there was a "water" claim for $200 or $1000... probably to fix a broken pipe. If there is an $85000 "water" claim, that was probably mold remediation. I wish they would fix their database so you would know for sure.

The house looks great. Buy it. Then in 10 years when all the stucco falls off, just put up hardi plank and be done with it.

That was one of my main concerns. Is it possible to fully remediate mold? Meaning... can we make sure it really is gone? Assuming the numbers work out, in the end I just want my family to be safe.

The seller's agent is trying to see if the bank will take even less now, so if he can it makes this even a more attractive price point. I've been vacillating between dropping it and going through with it. I think I'll just have to pay to get another inspector out there because I'm making too many decisions without enough facts.

Thanks for the reply.

i hear a child wheezing.

Obviously that is one of my concerns. Can you give more information? Is it your opinion that once there is a moisture problem that there will be a mold problem? And there is a mold problem there is no fix?

Can you clarify your statement?

Obviously that is one of my concerns. Can you give more information? Is it your opinion that once there is a moisture problem that there will be a mold problem? And there is a mold problem there is no fix?

Can you clarify your statement?

just seems you're trying to make a buck in favor of your child's health. if 60% of the baseboards show an elevated level of moisture as you stated in the first post and others show more and you're still trying to justify your position, someone isn't thinking clearly.

just seems you're trying to make a buck in favor of your child's health. if 60% of the baseboards show an elevated level of moisture as you stated in the first post and others show more and you're still trying to justify your position, someone isn't thinking clearly.

I appreciate your opinion. I don't think it's a fair assessment but I appreciate your response. I did ask for it after all.

My main point on this is... what does 60% elevated moisture level really mean? What does a Yellow signal on a hand held unit mean to me? Does that indicate moisture that can be fixed or is that the other extreme and the mold has already taken hold in 60% of the house?

Obviously I have reasons why I'd want this to work out. I think it's a beautiful house and I have a good monetary reason to go through with it too. Of course I would never do it if my child's health is in question. The question though is, is that position clear yet? I don't want to 'horror story' myself away from this house. I want it all based on facts.

So in the end I know I need to get an inspector. This will allow me to make an informed decision. I started the thread to see what the likelihood that this deal is either a 'maybe' or a 'walk away'. So far the advice given are a toss up so I'll give it a chance at least and make it a 'maybe' by hiring an inspector.

I do really appreciate all the advice.

what does 60% elevated moisture level really mean?

It means you need more information. Is this all over the home or is it localized? I still believe the only way to find out for sure is to cut a small hole. Maybe the owner will let you pull out the refridgerator and cut behind it.

Typically in a mold remediation starts with a mold tester will come to the home and take air quality samples. These samples are sent off to a lab. If they detect elevated levels, then they will suggest a remediation. This is a complete gut and strip all the way down to the studs of the affected area. Then the studs are treated or sanded. The area is sealed off usually with plastic sheets and tape. Then air scrubbers, which are high powered hepa filters, are run for at least 48 hours. The tests are performed again and if there is still a high levels, they will run the scrubbers again. Otherwise, the "all clear" is issued and the build back begins. It is a major ordeal and extremely expensive. But once the "all clear" is issued, you can be assured that the area is clean.

The case study Opera made famous involved the installation of a water vapor barrier on both sides of the wall. Not only did the inside of all the walls become completely covered with mold, but the homeowner couldn't see it. So the family became very sick. But the unusal construction largely attributed to the problem. The lawyers went after it and wanted to make mold the next asbestos. Thus the "mold" industry was born.

Mold requires two things to grow - food and water. Food will be any cellulose product, such as paper, or wood. It cannot grow on fiberglass insulation, but can grow on the insulation paper. Once the water is stopped, it cannot grow anymore.

I've seen water hose spickets that have small leaks at the joints that cause water damage inside and outside the walls. But it is a very easy fix for any plumber.

In my opinion, you need to find the exact cause of the water intrusion before you can make a decision.

Hi cgallagher,

Once again, I appreciate the detailed reply. The explanation of the remediation process is great. And I agree I need more information so I can make an informed decision. At this point, who do you suggest I bring in to get me that information?

I've talked to this gentlemen and he said he can do a mold & stucco inspection. I'm confident he can do the mold part but not sure if he's the right person to check out structurally where the water intrusion might happen.

http://www.moldconsultanttx.com/index.php

You also had suggested Dale Phillips

http://www.dpis.com/

Thanks again.

I was just made aware of the possible use of infrared technology as part of the inspection process. Know anything about that?

http://www.texas-inspection.com/infrared/

Actually, that would be a great idea. I know there is one company that charges about 250 a trip. I don't remember the name, but I know they are members of the GHBA www.ghba.org . Make sure you get a recorded copy of the data.

Be careful of the mold guys. They make their money in the remediation process and tend to overexagerate the problem. But an air quality test may be a good idea.

Hi all,

I just wanted to update everyone since you've been very helpful in this process. I've decided to withdraw my bid. I had a stucco/mold inspector come out yesterday and he found too many problems. He said the flashing on the roof is all done wrong. He said along the roof line there should be step flashing but instead they used straight flashing or J-flashing (can't remember which he said). Even worse he said, at the bottom they did not have any kick-out flashing. He said the water runs down the roof and hit's the slight lip of the stucco and wears it down. He showed me a spot where it happened. He said to redo the step flashing I would have to pull down all the stucco... couldn't even surgically remove it because it'll never be right. So the entire wall. Yikes!

On the inside he did water testing with a two-pronged prod thingy and found 50% penetration in some spots on the sheathing. I never got around to the air sample testing because I had heard enough.

He found other code violations. Height of ceiling in one of the stairwells was only 6ft (should be 6'8" he said). No GFCI outlet upstairs at all. He mentioned something about the heating unit exhaust on the roof was not tall enough so it could cause backdraft and push CO back into the house.

Anyway, too many issues for me. I think it still might be a good investment for someone else but I don't believe I have the stomach for it since it would be my main house. If it was an investment property I think I might have gone through with it.

Thanks for helping and listening.

Even though some of those things aren't a huge deal to fix, I think you made the right decision.

Buy a house, not a hassle.

flipper

Yeah, mainly for me it was... if the builder skimped on these things I did find... what did he skimp on that I have not found yet.

Thanks for the help.

Archived