Nov. 9 Mod of the Month- 2 Mods Open 2-5

SpaceAge

Houston Mod invites you to join us this Sunday, November 9th (2:00-5:00 PM), at two Mod of the Month open houses!

Two wonderful mid-century modern houses will be open for touring this Sunday for the November Mod of the Month event. Both are located in near-SW Houston, only three miles apart.

Houston Mod membership information and publications will be available.

1. 3611 Tartan- Braes Heights

Vg5sdvJgrgRoVyP3sH8TcLn0nzF40xWJvSYYZydTOlYUZYnvVlDhiaij8Y9qTj0tLtCtmOOfJ2pHGKL0ku2VR4TZrqoje-iNCWHa4MT5ZbLZ.TPVw2CX0QIijbb5kisbuDITcrG8eqo.46vQbTvBIg__.jpg

Vg5sdvJgrgRoVyP3sH8TcLn0nzF40xWJvSYYZydTOlYUZYnvVlDhiUaYnaDJcbzxgwYm168FnHtzJWsKT4YwV7TRKT7Q58NrMoDZtqiegnFywWWAxV44.RV0u65WSFbeZrIZF-6x93UbJ.Qdwirtmw__.jpg

Vg5sdvJgrgRoVyP3sH8TcLn0nzF40xWJvSYYZydTOlYUZYnvVlDhiUGhDUEWzcX67Cv177cSXXsORQB2VMFOS1vuIj9EIvtYp6GoEurTYGcPsnWg.ABvpspC.iPi2IL1pIGECZfT.Kc9igF9c0G3hA__.jpg

This is a very special opportunity to tour a spectacular mid-century modern home still in near-original condition. The architect of this house is still under speculation but there is no doubt the original owners got a super swank ultra modern dream home complete with boomerang-shaped swimming pool on an over-sized lot. This part of Braes Heights was home to many successful doctors and professionals.

Extremely progressive for the time it was built, the house features only one large and very open living, dining and kitchen area. Soaring beamed ceilings and walls of glass, some with marble inserts, along with stacked stone set the scene. Other features include floating cabinets, gameroom with commercial-style soda fountain, special lighting and ceiling treatments, a wall mural, indoor and outdoor copper-lined planter boxes, Nu-Tone whole house stereo intercom system with wall hung swing-out turntable, extra large rooms and closets, and pecky cypress siding.

The indoor/outdoor flow is emphasized with sliding patio doors opening from the living areas to the pool terrace or to the expansive bamboo-lined bedroom terraces. This house is a dynamic mod showplace.

2. 2304 North Blvd.- Greenbriar

lr2161377-3.jpg

lr2161377-8.jpg

HAR Link

Here is another marvelous mid-century modern house open for tour.

A sophisticated one-story home, built in 1972 and renovated in 2006, is comparable to new construction.

Strong modernist vocabulary forges a thoroughly contemporary home that both pays homage to and updates mid-century modernism. Enter through a tropical courtyard. Urban retreat in backyard. Oversize 13,000+ SF lot.

Airy kitchen, master suite & lavish baths. Open-plan living areas with continuous patio views throughout the house. Separate home office.

Floor plans and historical photographs will be available for viewing.

Meet members of Houston Mod, sign-up or renew your membership. Note the extended hours of 2 PM to 5 PM.

See you there!

I really enjoyed the two Mods of the Months today. The house on North Blvd was actually much better in person than the photos make it look. It is very much the International style of Modern. It was nice to talk to the owner, who is an architect and he did the renovation. His motto for remodelling is to make it look like he wasn't ever there. This house has alot of changes and updates, but most of them reused as much of the original materials as possible and maintain the original feel of the house. The changes weren't obvious until you looked at the before and after photos.

The house on Tartan was the epitome of MCM design swankiness. The best part of this house was it's originality. Almost nothing has been changed and it really feels like a time warp. I really like this house from the floor plan to alot of the neat design details, such as the living room windows, the cabinets, the false ceiling in the kitchen, the mural in one of the bedrooms, the built in cabinets and vanities, well , I could go on. I really hope that someone is able to save this house because it deserves it. It needs some work, but I think the end result would be well worth it. Hmmm, maybe I should go buy a lotto ticket.

• 3 months later...

Archived