Mowing the right-of-way

WAZ

Our Civic Club 'dues' are voluntary and less than $30 a year. Homeowners in the subdivision are required to pay much more than that in property taxes annually.

Oh, ok. So mowing this strip isn't as much of a burden as you would have led on to believe. :rolleyes:

Deal with it.

EDIT: You can play up the cost as a burden to yourselves or you can downplay it as something that won't be a burden to taxpayers. But you can't have your cake and eat it too.

But for now, in this neck of the woods, gates create a security concern.

they sell locks for gates which would help alleviate your concern. if you have a wooden fence, it's already very easy to pull off the panel and get into the area.

Our Civic Club 'dues' are voluntary and less than $30 a year. Homeowners in the subdivision are required to pay much more than that in property taxes annually.

The cost to mow along that road is alot compared to the few hundred that this civic club collects in dues every year. It's miniscule compared to the annual budget of the City of Houston. In fact, the amount it'd cost to mow along ALL the City roads that are in this situation would be miniscule compared to the $1.7 billion that the City budgets annually.

Gates would be a security concern, and probably not cheaper than mowing. Plus the up-front cost would be alot.

The Civic Club and residents probably will pony up the cash to mow along the road 'out back'. As CC president I'll probably wind up putting some of my own money towards it. :( But I won't do it happily. And mark my words, I WILL keep fighting for revisions to 10-451B.

Correction, lots of people WOULD LIKE TO walk on it, too - if they could. Some try already.

I'm baffled. You, as president of a civic club, are using funds to subsidize individual homeowners' routine maintenance? JUST..SAY...NO! If you're afraid of huring someone's feelings, perhaps this isn't the position for you.

A sensible, reasonable solution would be to suggest to the responsible (irresponsible?) homeowners to either perform the maintenance on a rotating basis, or chip in to hire someone to do it. It doesn't make much sense for each homeowner to toss a lawnmower over a fence every week.

If your HOA allows it, I suggest that you start fining them for their lack of upkeep. Alternatively, call the city and ask them to fine the homeowners.

Darn tootin' people would like to walk on it. I hope that if someone is injured because of these homeowners' negligence that they sue the pants off them.

Archived