Development At N. Milby St. At Lovejoy St.

What is the story with the property surrounded Milby, Bering, N Drennan, Lovejoy? There is a "Owned by City of Houston" sign on the property.

MAP

that's the site of the old milby (metro) bus barn.

i think the city recently sold the land to hcc to build a vocational school there.

there have been some long standing issues with contaminants on the site (it was a storage and maintenece facility for buses and streetcars going back to 1906) and i don't know if they were resolved.

• 6 months later...
that's the site of the old milby (metro) bus barn.

i think the city recently sold the land to hcc to build a vocational school there.

there have been some long standing issues with contaminants on the site (it was a storage and maintenece facility for buses and streetcars going back to 1906) and i don't know if they were resolved.

http://www.epa.gov/brownfields/html-doc/hustnclg.htm

The City of Houston is home to hundreds of inner-city brownfields. Over 490 acres of brownfields have been entered into the city's Brownfields Redevelopment Program. The Milby Bus Bar, a well-known brownfield in the East End, has already been cleaned up and made ready for redevelopment at a cost of $7 million.

• 1 year later...

What is happening on the block bounded by Milby, Lovejoy, Bering, and Drennan?. It used to look like a failed apartment complex or small subdivision that never made it. Streets were poured and fire hydrants installed, but not one structure was ever built. I noticed today that there is a lot of activity on the site. the ground has been graded and it looks like new sewers are being installed. It looks like a high dollar infrastructure upgrade.

Anyone know what the plans are for this site?

Here is a link to goggle:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...uWDjSmTBk83PlxA

What is happening on the block bounded by Milby, Lovejoy, Bering, and Drennan?. It used to look like a failed apartment complex or small subdivision that never made it. Streets were poured and fire hydrants installed, but not one structure was ever built. I noticed today that there is a lot of activity on the site. the ground has been graded and it looks like new sewers are being installed. It looks like a high dollar infrastructure upgrade.

Anyone know what the plans are for this site?

Ask and ye shall receive.

A little research and I found it.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2007/06/18/daily4.html

This shold be a nice addition to the second ward. It is an elite school.

A high school established with funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and designed for students with academic potential, has found a new home.

The Houston Community College Board of Trustees approved leasing land to Houston ISD for a permanent home for East Early College High School.

EECHS, which is currently housed at the HCC Southeast Annex, will be located adjacent to a new academic center for HCC's Southeast College on Drennan Street in Houston's Second Ward. Each institution will build its own standalone facility of up to 65,000 square feet on the property. Completion date for the two facilities will be in 2009.

East Early College High School offers students the chance to earn a high school diploma and a college associate's degree in five years, for free. The 111-student school, which will add a new freshman class of 100 students this year, is geared toward increasing the high school and college graduation rates of teens in the southeast area, many of whom are low-income and first-generation.

The early college model is designed for students with academic potential who may be overlooked in traditional high-school environments.

The Gates Foundation awarded $400,000 to begin the school.

• 4 months later...

Say this property on googleearth...Were those culdesac streets left over from the bus & streetcar facilities, or were they paved afterward. They look old, to me. There were some big bldgs there, there is a fancy blvd -ike entranceway ...Strange how the Roberts Road was actually within the bus storage/ maintenance property. Is anything going on there, now? No school, yet? Would be good to see that happen.

• The title was changed to Development At N. Milby St. At Lovejoy St.

Archived