Pebble Creek Architecture

IronTiger

• 4 weeks later...

College Station grew because of massive white flight in the 80's and 90's, and newcomers to town(like your parents) were told by realtors to avoid Bryan schools. McMansions were built to meet the artificial demand created by those fleeing the real town in the area to go to the north Houston suburb of College Station.

College Station grew because of massive white flight in the 80's and 90's, and newcomers to town(like your parents) were told by realtors to avoid Bryan schools. McMansions were built to meet the artificial demand created by those fleeing the real town in the area to go to the north Houston suburb of College Station.

Again, you are stereotyping because I admitted that I was <21 in another thread. You don't know anything about my parents, about me, or even about this thread in general. :angry: :angry:

So I suggest you be quiet before I do lose it. And take out the last line. Keep it to yourself.

You are angry because you live in a Pollyanna town, but that is exactly what College Station wants to be.

In fairness, wouldn't the exact same thing have happened if Bryan had continued to grow and built new public schools zoned to such newly developed areas? But okay, I guess the real loss was the big retail and regional mall, the tax revenue from those could have gone towards more policing/community services in the "ghetto" areas.

Not that I am any kind of CS booster here, I'm a student and all that.

Bryan has never stopped growing, the rate of C.S.'s growth just skyrocketed in relative terms. Post Oak Mall did greatly increase C.S.'s taxbase at the expense of Bryan's, but the lack of diversity in the public schools is the reason for the housing boom in that city from the late 80's/90's to today.

This is not unique to this area. The same thing has happened countless times in cities around the country, there just happened to be a unique situation for white flight to occur from one sister city to another instead of from a major urban area to its suburbs.

Recent Bryan growth:

Miramont

Traditions

Briar Meadows (in progress)

Tejas Center, Bryan Towne Center, Boonville Town Center (in progress)

Rudder High School, Davila Middle School, rebuilt Bonham Elementary all new in 2008

Texas A&M Health Science Center (underway)

You are right, not arguing.

but you know what I mean: Say if in 1982 Bryan constructed a new high school at Villa Maria and 47, along with laying infrastructure for the development of 2,000 luxury custom and tract homes, a golf course, and a business park. By 2008 the B/CS area would be segregated all the same, with a "desirable" area and a "bad" area, they would just be inside the same city limits. The seperation would exist through school zoning, which neighborhood schools funneled into Bryan High, and which ones funneled into the hypothetical new school.

Archived