HAIF Associates

Pumapayam

"Associates" is short for "Associate Member."

It's a regular member, except without the ability to see Off Topic and Way Off Topic discussions. I created this to relieve some of the more excitable people of the burden of seeing political threads that they may not be able to handle.

"Associate Member" is a pretty lame name, but I couldn't think of anything else to call it.

So you're saying it's time out for those that can't play nice with others? Shoot, I better watch myself or I may wind up there too!

It's multi-purpose. It's not necessarily meant as punishment, but it can be used for that purpose.

It can also be used for people who would simply find HAIF more enjoyable without all the controversial content. A couple of HAIFers have contacted me about that since the election season started heating up, but I haven't switched either of them to the new member group yet.

It can also be used for new users who are under age. Right now if you try to register and you're under the age of 13 you need your parent's permission. There have been a few occasions when I will get a letter or fax from a parent providing this authorization. In those cases I can put the under-13 person in the Associate group so they can participate in HAIF without seeing some of the Way Off Topic content.

"Associates" is short for "Associate Member."

It's a regular member, except without the ability to see Off Topic and Way Off Topic discussions. I created this to relieve some of the more excitable people of the burden of seeing political threads that they may not be able to handle.

"Associate Member" is a pretty lame name, but I couldn't think of anything else to call it.

That is a nice way of saying someone is on probation I guess. Is this a permanent title, or can you get off on "good behavior"?

It is a good idea, just one step before being 100% banned.

That is a nice way of saying someone is on probation I guess

Not necessarily, because you can request to be moved to this group voluntarily. For example, if you think items from Off Topic and Way Off Topic appearing on your work computer could be problematic, but your boss wouldn't mind regular HAIF.

Is this a permanent title, or can you get off on "good behavior"?

If you joined the group voluntarily, you can leave whenever you want. Others will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

It is a good idea, just one step before being 100% banned.

There are actually several more steps. Banning is a last resort, and in the soon-to-be seven years of HAIF only two people have ever been banned.

Archived