1950s Parade Of Homes

baumann84

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to do some research for my MA thesis on the role the Parade of Homes events in the postwar housing boom. As discussed in some posts, Houston has a great PoH history. Does anyone know where the booklets (those rare, allusive things!) might be found? Or even where any archival materials- plans, photographs, records, builder information, etc- may be found for any of the larger PoH during the 1950s? I've come up empty-handed with the research I've done in the larger Houston archival repositories.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss the project.

I also just want to add that the interest and activism around Houston's modern legacy is very exciting and refreshing!

take care.

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to do some research for my MA thesis on the role the Parade of Homes events in the postwar housing boom. As discussed in some posts, Houston has a great PoH history. Does anyone know where the booklets (those rare, allusive things!) might be found? Or even where any archival materials- plans, photographs, records, builder information, etc- may be found for any of the larger PoH during the 1950s? I've come up empty-handed with the research I've done in the larger Houston archival repositories.

I also just want to add that the interest and activism around Houston's modern legacy is very exciting and refreshing!

take care.

Check out the following:

Burdette Keeland Jr.'s papers at the Univeristy of Houston Library Special Collections department.

Various builders associations might have something, but I doubt it.

Preston Bolton may have some of those booklets in his files, along with the Contemporary arts association tour booklets.

Fondren Library

Get in touch with an HAIF moderator named Sevfiv. I think she has some old back issues of the Houston Post that may have something in them.

Hey everyone,

take care.

This promises to be an excellent thesis subject. The Mod is to Houston what the Brownstone is to New York City. Soon, if not already, there's going to be as big an interest in restoring Mods here as there is in Brownstones in NYC.

I have begun some research into Mid Century mods in Southwest Houston - Braeburn area to be precise. My own research was just to go through the old Houston Chronicles from the time and download ads and good articles. Time consuming, but well worth the effort. I found the Houston Chronicle feature stories about the 1954 Parade of Homes. Unfortunately it's over 2 MB so I can't upload here.

IN any case, good luck with the project, and if you find any original Parade of Homes brochures, let me know. I'd love to see them.

Fondren at Rice has an excellent archive and you might try contacting the area archivists through AHA - Archivists of the Houston Area at http://houstonarchivists.org

Also a better bet in addition to Greater Houston Builder's Assoc. would be the AIA and ASID which both have large offices here. There has always been a competition of sorts between the UH and Rice Schools of Architecture - which have archives (I am a multi-generation Cougar myself!)

My company participated in Parade of Homes events in the past as a contractor and there are national organizations that market this which may have background. Commercial promoters are not interested in historical or archival preservation in general - but you might get lucky.

As for local papers be sure to include the Houston Post and the Houston Public Library Archive has a great deal of data and plans.

• The title was changed to 1950s Parade Of Homes

Archived