The HAIF Lock-Up

editor

I think they were referring to the idea of free as in many sites and services that we now consider free will not be free in the future. There might be fees attached to things like our emails sites, our blogs, newspapers, etc. I think it dealt with the whole advertising model not being as lucrative as people think (although it seems Google is finding a way to make it work).

I am just using those as an example, not as what was mentioned in the article. I will see if I can find it and post a link.

This might have been it, although I swear I heard it on Talk of the Nation ... damn, I'm getting old!

I think they were referring to the idea of free as in many sites and services that we now consider free will not be free in the future. There might be fees attached to things like our emails sites, our blogs, newspapers, etc. I think it dealt with the whole advertising model not being as lucrative as people think (although it seems Google is finding a way to make it work).

I am just using those as an example, not as what was mentioned in the article. I will see if I can find it and post a link.

Makes sense, considering before Gmail, Hotmail was charging for a measly 100 MB and only had 4 or 5 MB in their free version. Now everyone is in the GB range for free.

Really, I was just playing with the 'Old Man'. Sorry to offend.

It was mean-spirited and would fall under the category of trolling. I don't really care on a personal level, but it is kind of abrasive to have to read. And that'd be true whether I was the target or not. It'd come across as less abrasive if you had an insightful point or a funny punch line but you didn't. Either that, or I'm not getting the joke.

Speaking of the G1, I find it interesting that it comes up as an Iphone. How are you able to differentiate from actual Iphones since I'veusing it almost exclusively?

The G1 identifies itself as being on the Android hardware and Linux operating system. Here's a clip from the log:

"Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.0; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2"

The iPhone identifies itself as being on the iPhone hardware and OS X operating system. Here's a clip from the log:

"Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3"

PS: I just heard or read an article (they all tend to bleed together) somewhere that said 'free' is probably going to be going away on the 'Net.

Thoughts?

I don't think free will ever go away on the internet. At least I hope not. My intention when I founded HAI and HAIF was to make it entirely free, supported by advertising. I added the ad-free version several years later after complaints from people on dial-up who wanted faster loading times, but more functionality than Diet HAIF offers.

I find teaser web sites frustrating. By that I mean web sites that give you a little information, but then charge for what should be some pretty basic information. Skyscrapers.com is a big offender in this regard. You can look up a building, but if you want to know the address (a pretty basic thing), you have to pay. I think that's dumb, especially since Skyscrapers.com ("Emporis" now) also shows advertising. To me, something should either be ad-supported and free, or ad-free and paid for. Cable TV bothers me in this regard. I'm paying for cable television, why should I have to watch commercials on channels like Discovery and E!, too?

I think once America works out a feasible micro-payment system, things could change but not much. I think it would be useful for accessing premium content like articles from a newspaper archive. But I don't see a day when you'd have to pay 2

There are a lot of Forums out there that give a lot less bells and whistles for free usage, people here should be thankful. There are quite a lot of forums that if you are a none subscribed user, you have only a choice of four or five stock avatars, usually 80x80, and nothing animated. You cannot post images, no custom signatures, nor do you have any of the trick buttons like yo have here. Some of them are only $25-$50 per year, for the basic thing, and with that you get to customize the avatar (still only 80x80 but it can be animated), signature, and post images, but no attachment storage. With the upgrade which is usually $72-$100 per year, you get the bigger avatar (130x130), image storage space as well as attachments in posts, and on some access to areas for VIP's only, which cuts out all the trolls, which is nice at times.

My point being HAIFers get a lot for free, and no ads on the upgrade, that's basically it. Being that the base unit for HAIF was to provide a full free service, it's easy to understand the structure it's in, to date. But incentive to join is basically goodwill. Out of our top forty posters four are paid subscribers, Today member #7211 joined, and out of the thousands of active members(it's less than any 7000) Fourteen (14) are paid subscriptions. That a pretty low percentage. I know for a fact that no one is posting from under an underpass, and even if you are not a regular subscriber, a donation every now and again, goes a long way. $10 a month is pretty low rent to be full time, or $100 bucks a year. Now there are some people that have really tight budgets, especially students, I remember those days. But in the same note, however some people are just too damn cheap. But people that can find time to average 6-8 posts a day, should be able to find a way to pony up something. Bandwidth and hard-drive space is not free. I think people sometimes don't realize that. If 3000 members gave just one (1) dollar as a one time donation, do you know how helpful that could be, it's more than you may understand I am sure. Now I don't want to be sounding like I am out hear begging for HAIF, and it may sound that way. And if I am out of line, slap me down editor,and I will go to my corner and wear the pointy hat. I am simply trying to raise awareness of what goes on here in everyday life, and I think it may just get over looked. Look how many joined today, just on a passing remark, guilt or no guilt, I can assure you it's was a welcome sight anytime some revenue can be generated, above the normal ad tax. I really was impressed that some people had really no idea, so that's why I am saying this very thing. You tight assed old timers, know who you are, don't know what to say about that. So I will pass.

Okay done now, sorry Ed if I am out of bounds.

So, how much revenue is generated everytime an ad runs ? I don't use ad-free HAIF. So, I have to be generating revenue as much as I am on.

It varies widely by the ad buyer, what's being advertised, the size of the ad, the location of the ad, the ad placement agency, and who sold the ad.

I'm not allowed to give out specifics about HAIF ads sold by other companies (most of what you see.)

For ads that I sell myself I like to have nice neat monthly fees that everyone can understand (currently ad positions are available for $15/month, and $50/month). But when you get down to the nitty gritty, generally the rate is 0.00375

Do they generate varied by hits or pings, or just a straight monthly rent?

The ads I sell are monthly flat fees.

The other ads generate money each time they're viewed. This is why people who use ad blockers hurt HAIF.

Someone using an ad blocker on a site that only gets money when an ad is clicked may not make much of an effect -- that type of person isn't going to click on an ad anyway.

But on a site like HAIF, where the advertisers are paying for branding and clicks are just a bonus, blocking the views directly stops money from supporting the site.

Now the question becomes: How many license plate frames does someone have to purchase to make up for all the ads they've blocked over the years? Hint: Each t-shirt, license plate frame, etc... only earns HAIF between $1 and $2.

Wayne I would suggest every month (or at least once a quarter) having a membership drive. A lot of us really love this site, and just need gentle reminders to either donate or subscribe.

A HAIF Telethon, but without Jerry Lewis.

You know, like the HAIF book: Volume 1, you can take items related to HAIF and add a membership to it as well.

Or vice versa. I am impressed with everyone's generosity so far. :)

A HAIF Telethon, but without Jerry Lewis.

You know, like the HAIF book: Volume 1, you can take items related to HAIF and add a membership to it as well.

Or vice versa. I am impressed with everyone's generosity so far. :)

I, too, am very impressed and very grateful to everyone who has contributed.

I'll put your HAIF telethon idea in the cookie jar and see what can be done with it.

Archived