Questions about noise

I recently moved into a second floor apartment that is located right off of a busy highway. Needless to say it noisey, all of the time. I was going to look into soundproof windows but I wanted to be sure before I invested money into this temporary dwelling, that this wasn't something that the apartment community would have to address. Are there any bulding codes or residential community laws that address specific requirements when the dwelling is close to a highway? It's kind of weird because on both sides of the highway there are the sound barriers, except for where my apartment building is.

Thanks

I recently moved into a second floor apartment that is located right off of a busy highway. Needless to say it noisey, all of the time. I was going to look into soundproof windows but I wanted to be sure before I invested money into this temporary dwelling, that this wasn't something that the apartment community would have to address. Are there any bulding codes or residential community laws that address specific requirements when the dwelling is close to a highway? It's kind of weird because on both sides of the highway there are the sound barriers, except for where my apartment building is.

Thanks

how recent is "recent"

if it was less than a month you would probably be surprised how soon you get used to the noise.....and I would be 100% sure that your apartment management would not be happy with you installing windows on your own even if it is a 100% with out a doubt improvement

you might look into some thicker blinds for that window, but I bet you will get used to it pretty quick

Thanks

I don't know of any codes. I am always suprised how poorly the new apartments are sound proofed against highways. I think the cost to fix this is going to be very expensive. Windows are always the "weakest link" of sound protection. You could start experimenting with some heavy material drapes. But your right, more could have been done during construction.

Thanks

depending on the floor you are on, the sound barriers may not be as effective as you think. not sure any apartment would let you change the windows.

• 2 weeks later...

Get some R-11 bat insulation, a 4x8 sheet of 1" foil-sided insulated foam core, and some aluminum tape. Install the insulation into the window cavity. Cut the insulation board so that is an oversized fit around the window. Tape the perimeter of the insulation board with the aluminum tape. Install curtains/window coverings such that the curtains/coverings are closed, hiding the foam core board. Do this for all offending windows.

I had to do this once when I lived in some shady apts in Montrose. I could open my back bedroom window and literally touch the back of the nightclub that was next door. The method described above helped tremendously, but I was still forced to live off the couch, which was in a room opposite the bedroom, about 16 feet further away from the nightclub.

The only drawback to the method described is that it blocks 100% of all sunlight. And I mean pitch black.

When your lease is up, simply uninstall.

Get some R-11 bat insulation, a 4x8 sheet of 1" foil-sided insulated foam core, and some aluminum tape. Install the insulation into the window cavity. Cut the insulation board so that is an oversized fit around the window. Tape the perimeter of the insulation board with the aluminum tape. Install curtains/window coverings such that the curtains/coverings are closed, hiding the foam core board. Do this for all offending windows.

I had to do this once when I lived in some shady apts in Montrose. I could open my back bedroom window and literally touch the back of the nightclub that was next door. The method described above helped tremendously, but I was still forced to live off the couch, which was in a room opposite the bedroom, about 16 feet further away from the nightclub.

The only drawback to the method described is that it blocks 100% of all sunlight. And I mean pitch black.

When your lease is up, simply uninstall.

Insulation showing through the window. Hmm...attractive. To complete the look, buy a couple of rusting Ford F150 pickups and park then in the yard below your window. Purchase several lawn chairs and a styrofoam cooler. Fill the cooler with Dos Equis, and invite several day laborers over to drink with you. You'll be the hit of the apartment complex.

Insulation showing through the window. Hmm...attractive. To complete the look, buy a couple of rusting Ford F150 pickups and park then in the yard below your window. Purchase several lawn chairs and a styrofoam cooler. Fill the cooler with Dos Equis, and invite several day laborers over to drink with you. You'll be the hit of the apartment complex.

If aesthetic appeal is a concern, may I recommend that an earth-toned colored bed sheet be installed first, in the window, using a T-50 staple gun, 9/16" staples. This will give the appearance, from the outside, that curtains are drawn from the interior, masking any sight of the R-11 bat insulation.

For the record... in my situation, no such bed sheet was needed employing the sound proof window method described as there was a ~15 foot tall cinder block wall (the back of the nightclub) about 3' from my bedroom window. My window was not visible from the street.

...and also for the record... there were vehicles similar to what you describe as well as social functions similar to what you describe at the complex. After about 1.5 years of living like that... I finally convinced myself that I made enough money to upgrade my living situation...