Pearland Rural McMansions

marmer

Well, I see lots of um... interesting McMansions in my area. Usually on county roads, mixed in with the cow pastures, storage sheds, and rundown trailer houses. We've discussed Dr. Watkins' giant compounds south of Pearland Town Center before. Here are a few more. Before we start, I thought I'd show this cute little Googie survivor on 35 just south of 518, which even made it through Ike mostly unscathed:

PA260028.jpg

A couple of beauties on Hastings Cannon Road, next door to each other, sorta.

PA260029.jpg

PA260030.jpg

On that last, perhaps the contractor heard the exhortation "Go, man, go!" as "Go Mango!" That's the only reason I can think of for that color.

Here's a couple, also next door to each other, on Old Chocolate Bayou Road. The gray one rivals that gray crib over on Memorial. The maroon one looks like it could use some yard work and junk removal.

PA260032.jpg

Sorry about the lens flare. I was taking the pictures in late afternoon, the exact worst time of the day for that.

PA260033.jpg

This one is actually kinda nice. A picturesque-style English cottage blown up to massive multi-gabled scale. The three-car garage is made to look like part of the house on the front right corner. It's on Bailey Road.

PA260031.jpg

There you go. West U and Memorial got nothin' on us down here in Brazoria County!

The donut place is where we stop when it's our Sunday to bring food to our Sunday School class. Glad it wasn't damaged so I don't have to go to Shipleys.

The ones on Hastings Cannon are interesting and I am not sure about those two specifically but I know that several of those homes have been built by hispanics that work in the construction field. Specifically several of the houses there were built over a number of year alledgedly with materials taken from jobs they were working on. Slow but cheap way to build your dream home. I'm not sure but the maroon one looks like one I know of on Fite Road, just west of 1128. If it's the one I am thinking of its right next to the condo's along the lake that wound up housing numerous Katrina refugee's. The owner was in construction and stored a lot of stuff there. I think it has been abandoned as a home.

The last on actually has a couple of neighbors around it with very nice homes as well. From what I understand all three of the houses are owned by the owners of Joesphs Nursery located on FM 1128. They built those homes there close to their business. Obviously the nursery business has been pretty good.

The donut place is where we stop when it's our Sunday to bring food to our Sunday School class. Glad it wasn't damaged so I don't have to go to Shipleys.

Yes, it looks to be still in business, though it wasn't open on Sunday afternoon.

The ones on Hastings Cannon are interesting and I am not sure about those two specifically but I know that several of those homes have been built by hispanics that work in the construction field. Specifically several of the houses there were built over a number of year alledgedly with materials taken from jobs they were working on. Slow but cheap way to build your dream home. I'm not sure but the maroon one looks like one I know of on Fite Road, just west of 1128. If it's the one I am thinking of its right next to the condo's along the lake that wound up housing numerous Katrina refugee's. The owner was in construction and stored a lot of stuff there. I think it has been abandoned as a home.

I'll go check it out. The maroon one in my picture is on Old Chocolate Bayou Road, just south of Bailey. It's next door to the big gray one.

The last on actually has a couple of neighbors around it with very nice homes as well. From what I understand all three of the houses are owned by the owners of Joesphs Nursery located on FM 1128. They built those homes there close to their business. Obviously the nursery business has been pretty good.

I had heard that, too. I don't think the others are as big or as dramatic.

The Donut place closes at noon on most days I think. If you want to see some other big houses in Pearland take Dixie Farm road between 518 and 35 to a street called Westfield. Take a drive through the area and you will fins a bunch of houses like your pictures. One actually on Westfield was listed on HAR for a while for over $1 million. They are all on several acre lots and a lot have horses and cows. One is at the corner of Westfield and Rustic. It's white stuco with sculptures out from, and a horse arena next door. The place is incredible. When I first moved to Pearland people that lived in this area did not want to be associated with Pearland and as of that time had not been annexed. So if you asked them where they lived they would say, "West Friendswood". Obviously Pearland's prestige has improved because now when asked they say "East Pearland".

I was just having this discussion about rural McMansions today with a family member. We agreed that McMansions appear better on some nice sized rural acreage, rather than shoehorned onto a too small lot in Riverside Terrace that results in no front yard and easy burgular getaway access, since the front door is at the sidewalk and in front of a bus stop. :lol:

• The title was changed to Pearland Rural McMansions

Archived