Destruction of coastal highway near Surfside

http://houstonfreeways.com/modern/2008-10-..._destroyed.html

I took these photos Sunday of FM 3005 between Surfside and San Luis Pass. I was surprised at the extent of the damage.

As I mention on the web page, it will be neither easy nor cheap to replace the highway. Many miles need to be moved inland, which will probably require environmental studies. In other places new bridges or landfill will be needed.

I think the best move will be to buy out the property on the route and abandon the alignment.

Thanks for all the pictures. I grew up down there but spent most of my time on Bryan and Quintana beaches and am not that familiar with that highway. I've only traveled it a couple of times and I don't think I encountered any more traffic than you did.

To get from Brazosport to Galveston used to involved going all the way up 35 to Alvin. Now that 2004 is available, and even the cut through Hoskins Mound, it's not such an onerous trip, but there still will need to be access to those residences. Good thing you can drive on the beaches in Texas.

Reminds me of what happened to TX87 from High Island to Sabine Pass in the 90's. What a mess. That road was abandoned. I don't think the state has a choice but to re-build in this case unless it wants to close down the entire island.

Reminds me of what happened to TX87 from High Island to Sabine Pass in the 90's. What a mess. That road was abandoned. I don't think the state has a choice but to re-build in this case unless it wants to close down the entire island.

I'm almost positive this stretch of road isn't part of the state highway system. It's a Brazoria County road, and does not have a state highway number designation between the east end of the San Luis Pass Bridge and the connection with Texas 332 in Surfside.

I'm almost positive this stretch of road isn't part of the state highway system. It's a Brazoria County road, and does not have a state highway number designation between the east end of the San Luis Pass Bridge and the connection with Texas 332 in Surfside.

I think sully is correct. Go to MSN maps and zoom in on the road. You will see it designated both Bluewater Highway and '257' inside a rectangle. If you google '257 bluewater highway', you will find numerous references to 'CR 257' (County Road 257), as well as statements that it is a Brazoria County road.

Regardless who owns it, I expect it to be rebuilt. Whether it is rebuilt in its original footprint is debatable, but it is almost sure to be rebuilt.

And then of course, there are the quotes of the Brazoria County officials in charge of rebuilding the road.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hurric...ke/6052397.html

Edited by RedScare

The bird people (environmentalists) blocked Hwy 87 from being rebuilt. That's when McFaddin Beach went necked.

I think sully is correct. Go to MSN maps and zoom in on the road. You will see it designated both Bluewater Highway and '257' inside a rectangle. If you google '257 bluewater highway', you will find numerous references to 'CR 257' (County Road 257), as well as statements that it is a Brazoria County road.

You are correct, that section of highway is County Road 257, not FM 3005. I will need to correct the web page.

I'm not surprised the preliminary estimate of reconstruction is $100 million. FEMA likes to blow money, so it will probably be funded.

Edited by MaxConcrete

Great photos. My family has been going to Surfside every year since 1960 (when we moved back from Argentina), and I just hate to see this happen. We also spent time in Gilchrist. It broke our hearts in the late '80s, when we could no longer run up the coast from Rollover to Sabine Pass for barbecue crabs at Sartains.

But erosion happens and there is little to guard against it. But, people who live on barrier islands need to understand that eventually it will be gone. So, if you can't afford the insurance or can't self-insure, don't build on the island and expect the government to bail you out.

Always evacuate.

And yes, I have a fish camp on Padre Island which will eventually be gone.

Edited by missmsry

That's unbelievable. How did the San Luis Pass Bridge fair?

The San Luis Pass bridge appears to have survived with no visible damage. The bridge was open, but tolls were not being collected.

The sand dunes on the west end of Galveston Island were a victim, however. There was a wide strip of dunes which were crossed by numerous boardwalks. Now, there is just about nothing left of the dunes - only a flat, sandy area remains.

IMG_4493_boardwalk_no_dunes_800px.jpg