Volunteering In The Texas Medical Center

sifuwong

MD Anderson was one of the best volunteer experiences I have ever had in my life. I couldnt stress enough for people to volunteer there and not becasue you have to for points/college credits but for the sake of human life and compassion.

It was such an honor training the younger volunteers. You will see life from a different perspective here.

On a seperate note, there is such a vast array of volunteer orgs that finding the right one that best works for you can take some time. I personally have moved around to several and am still in some that are mostly geared towards raising $ for hospital patients, college scholarships and Community developement all Non-Profit of course. You meet some of the best people ever and most become lifelong pals that will rally on your side when least expected.

It really is a wonderful life! E' un excellente vita! :D

Edited by Vertigo58

If I had to choose, I would go with either MD Anderson or Texas Children's. I'm sure all facilities do great work, but these two are very special to me.

I am leaning towards Texas Childrens. I remember visiting there once a couple of years ago to see an ill relative's daughter. During the stay, i saw a baby probably no more than 2 yrs old sitting on a gurney waiting for the elevator along with the nurse. Her head was wrapped around with a white cloth. Her eyes were wide opened, but very sad. For some reason, i get images of her sometimes when i sleep or dream. Pretty strange..maybe i need to see a doctor myself...lol. BTW, how much is the parking in the MD Anderson and TCH lots? Thanks.

Edited by sifuwong

I am leaning towards Texas Childrens. I remember visiting there once a couple of years ago to see an ill relative's daughter. During the stay, i saw a baby probably no more than 2 yrs old sitting on a gurney waiting for the elevator along with the nurse. Her head was wrapped around with a white cloth. Her eyes were wide opened, but very sad. For some reason, i get images of her sometimes when i sleep or dream. Pretty strange..maybe i need to see a doctor myself...lol. BTW, how much is the parking in the MD Anderson and TCH lots? Thanks.

Twelve dollars for all day, but as a volunteer you don't pay a dime. They give you vouchers which you use to pay at the machines. I'm sure that goes for both TCH and MDACC. I think it's safe to say that all of TMC hospitals are doing that for their volunteers.

Twelve dollars for all day, but as a volunteer you don't pay a dime. They give you vouchers which you use to pay at the machines. I'm sure that goes for both TCH and MDACC. I think it's safe to say that all of TMC hospitals are doing that for their volunteers.

True, all you have to do is swipe the card MD gives you at that peculiar little parking gizmo. :)

PS, we had to buy our smock/jacket but it was only about $20.00, still have mine. Souvenier.

• The title was changed to Volunteering In The Texas Medical Center