Where's good internet news?

memebag

I've used Yahoo news for many years, but the new format has driven me away. I never liked Google news. What are other folks using to get their news from the internets? I really just want someplace that has AP and Reuters headlines in a simple format.

I've used Yahoo news for many years, but the new format has driven me away. I never liked Google news. What are other folks using to get their news from the internets? I really just want someplace that has AP and Reuters headlines in a simple format.

Yahoo's my primary place and I also use Reuters and MSN. You will get used to the new format with time.

Yahoo's my primary place and I also use Reuters and MSN. You will get used to the new format with time.

I can't read the new format, so I won't go back to the new format. Therefore, I will never get used to the new format.

I may have to write my own news concentrator.

Despite criticisms from liberals who just can't stand him, Matt Drudge's website http://www.drudgereport.com has links to practically every news service on the planet Earth. Drudge is a launch pad for anyplace you want to go.

Truth be told, Drudge does very little "original" reporting. He's not a "news source", as much as he's a "content source."

That list of headlines you find at the top of his page are links to stories in newspapers, TV stations and networks around the country. They're not his stories. I can live with what little he does enterprise on his own, because of his incredible list of links.

He has direct links to every important and semi-important news commentator and columnist there is, liberal and conservative, and direct links to news services, news networks and newspapers, foreign and domestic. All right there at your fingertips on one website.

Check it out.

I wrote my own. It's not great. Any suggestions?

What I do is load up different newspaper RSS feeds into my RSS reader. That way in the morning I can have a big rundown of all the news, or news by region in a very plain format that makes it easy to skim and open the articles I'm interested in in tabs.

For example:

post-1-1224507545_thumb.jpg

This shows all the articles in my "Apple" folder, from multiple sources -- nice and neat, with virtually no advertising. Really easy to skim.

post-1-1224507604_thumb.jpg

By keeping separate folders, I can pick "Tech" or "Houston" or whatever I'm interested in catching up on at that particular moment, or I can load the whole mess as one great big long page.

I'm using Safari as my RSS reader. If I recall correctly, you're a Firefox guy, which also has an RSS reader built-in so you don't have to install a separate piece of software. If not, you might consider installing Safari to use as an RSS reader. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles the other programs do, but what it does it does really well.

I also use the google reader thing.. the only problem I have with it is when an article gets updated, you have to search them out.. they don't automagically re-highlight as new articles do..

Otherwise, Streamreader seems to have worked well for me as far as a windows client.

www.myway.com all the way.

Here's their news page: http://news.myway.com/index.html

Simple and full of win.

Archived