Monolithic Domes

http://static.monolithic.com/

I met someone a couple of weeks ago that is looking to build a dome for a residence using this construction technique. The inexpensively-built ones look really dumpy, but some of them seem like they could make for very interesting spaces.

As a distraction from the political nonsense that passes for HAIFing these days, what do you all think?

europa01x.jpg

europa07x.jpg

europa_floorplanx.jpg

http://static.monolithic.com/

I met someone a couple of weeks ago that is looking to build a dome for a residence using this construction technique. The inexpensively-built ones look really dumpy, but some of them seem like they could make for very interesting spaces.

As a distraction from the political nonsense that passes for HAIFing these days, what do you all think?

Interesting. They make a good case for them ( disaster resistance, ongoing costs, etc.) on the website. I'm not really drawn to them aesthetically. The one thing that bothers me about the homes is that they mostly feel pretty dark. My family gave up cave dwelling at least four generations ago.

I'm agin it. The theory is nice, but in practice furniture doesn't work against round walls and there's no place to hang pictures. It looks like there are no spaces above the ceiling, below the floor or between the walls for new services (like cables and pipes), so those buildings won't age well.

I like it better from the inside than the outside view. And I can see where it would be a good choice for hurricane prone areas, or if you were planning on starting a cult, but they are probably not to many people's taste. I wonder how the cost /sq ft compares to conventional buildings.

I can't look at that floor plan without thinking of Mickey Mouse.

I'd need more windows. Or maybe a way to replace an entire pie slice with a curve of glass panes so it would seem less like living in a cave. For some people there will be a problem with hanging pictures on the walls, but I think it just lends itself to more creativity.

I like it better from the inside than the outside view. And I can see where it would be a good choice for hurricane prone areas, or if you were planning on starting a cult, but they are probably not to many people's taste. I wonder how the cost /sq ft compares to conventional buildings.

The cost per square foot is supposedly comparable to traditional wood frame construction.

I'd need more windows. Or maybe a way to replace an entire pie slice with a curve of glass panes so it would seem less like living in a cave. For some people there will be a problem with hanging pictures on the walls, but I think it just lends itself to more creativity.

Something like this would seem to design with more 3D art or possibly some very creative lighting installations. That would really appeal to me, personally, and offset the cavernous feel.

Archived