Grand Parkway Tolled?

If I am reading the following article on the chronicle correct, Are they proposing tolling the "already" built part of 99 (Grand Parkway)? I really hope they DO NOT. What do you all think?

Grand Parkway may become toll road

Market study to determine project viability

By ZEN T. C. ZHENG Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Oct. 14, 2008, 5:32PM

Fort Bend County officials Oct. 14 signed off on a joint resolution with numerous government entities to establish a set of terms and conditions to build the Grand Parkway as a toll road. The resolution was co-drafted by representatives of the Texas Department of Transportation, Houston-Galveston Area Council's Transportation Policy Council, and seven counties along the parkway, which are represented by the Harris County Toll Road Authority.

The agreement stipulates the scope of work, initial toll rate and methods to increase toll rates as the Grand Parkway, also known as Texas 99, is constructed as a 180-mile road looping around Houston.

Under the terms, the project will be a tolled, two- to six-lane road with overpasses at major intersections and direct connectors at interchanges with other major thoroughfares.

The initial toll rate cannot exceed the average per-mile toll rates for electronic toll transactions effective on the Harris County Toll Road. Also, the methods to increase toll rates in Harris County will be used for rate hikes on the Grand Parkway.

Residents and business owners in south Fort Bend County affected by the proposed parkway say it would harm their communities and way of life. Opponents in Fort Bend also have accused county leaders of failing to represent the community on the matter.

Passage of the resolution clears the way for a market valuation study to determine the project's viability.

County Commissioner Tom Stavinoha said the resolution would put a halt to the project's segment through Fort Bend County for now due to the toll rate requirement.

"It would take a toll rate of 45 to 50 cents per mile to generate enough revenues for the project but the current toll rate is only 15 cents (per mile)," Stavenoha said.

County Commissioner James Patterson, who chairs the H-GAC's Transportation Policy Council, said the resolution governs the entire 180-mile project, not just the Fort Bend portion. TxDOT may not want to pursue a market study, which may find the project financially not viable.

Opponent Lynn Franklin, who lives in the Canyon Gate subdivision near the project, believes that the government rush to approve the resolution is to advance the controversial project before meeting further opposition anticipated in the next state Legislature.

zen.zheng@chron.com

:angry2:

If I am reading the following article on the chronicle correct, Are they proposing tolling the "already" built part of 99 (Grand Parkway)? I really hope they DO NOT. What do you all think?

I'm pretty sure that they're talking about the construction of main lanes south of the Westpark Tollway, where there are currently only feeder roads. The feeders would remain untolled.

Tolls are also being discussed for Segment C, south of US 59, which does not yet exist in any form.

The entire Grand Parkway is going to be tolled. Even the short segment from I-10 to 59 that you now ride for free is going to be tolled in future. Check out http://www.grandpky.com/segments/d/

We have come to the end of "freeways" in Houston area.

It says on the website you linked to that:

Segment D stretches 19 miles from US 59 to IH 10. This segment has been completed and has been open to the public since August 31, 1994. Mainlane overpasses from Westpark Tollroad south to US59 will be constructed as toll facilities when travel demand warrants.

TxDOT conducted public meetings on May 22 and May 24, 2007 to discuss the next phase of State Highway 99 roadway improvements from Franz Road in Harris County to U.S. Highway 59 South in Fort Bend County. Improvements would include the construction and tolling of overpasses.

The way I read it is that the parts that already exist and are free will continue to exist and be free.

There were a couple of big meetings regarding tolled or not for the section between I10 and Westpark Tollway a couple of years back. Public opposed the idea of "toll way" for the section.

Hopefully, it will be kept as "freeway" for the section at least.

Also, there were reports saying that there is a possiblility to convert the Grandparkway (West of US 59 - all way from North US59 to South Us59) into the I69 - TransTexas, which is very scary.

• 2 months later...

I have met with the Grand Pkwy Assoc. as well as reps with the toll road authority. They have concluded that the segments north of the Franz Road extension will be tolled and the main lanes south of FM 1093 (Westheimer) will be tolled. Most of the segment between I-10 and 1093 was partially paid for through bonds and such that developers had pushed for. Money has been earmarked for development of the fly-aways to connect from I-10 as well. Those will be paid for by the tolls recieved from the other tolled segments. I will keep everyone abreast of any changes that may come about.

I have met with the Grand Pkwy Assoc. as well as reps with the toll road authority. They have concluded that the segments north of the Franz Road extension will be tolled and the main lanes south of FM 1093 (Westheimer) will be tolled. Most of the segment between I-10 and 1093 was partially paid for through bonds and such that developers had pushed for. Money has been earmarked for development of the fly-aways to connect from I-10 as well. Those will be paid for by the tolls recieved from the other tolled segments. I will keep everyone abreast of any changes that may come about.

NICE! Not to sound greedy or anything, but at least the 4 or so miles that I use on 99 will not be tolled! That's a relief. Have you heard anything on when they would start to build the I-10 overpasses or simply start on extending 99?

We should see dirt turning within the next 6 months on the segment north of Franz. As for the fly aways, not really sure. I asked but that question was not directly answered. I will keep everyone abreast as more information is provided.

They need to hurry on that flyover. Especially from I-10W to 99S (evening) and 99N to I-10E (morning). They are always packed.

Yes, as much as I dislike some flyovers (the one from Westpark Tollway to 59 makes me queasy), I will appreciate these flyovers - the time that will be saved not having to get off of I-10 and wait at the lights at 99...

No mention of the flyovers on the grandpky.com site, but looking at the schedule, the segment north of I-10 (segment E) is expected to be open to the public in 2012..

http://www.grandpky.com/downloads/segmenti...02008-12-01.pdf

Archived