Chris Bell should just give it up

cottonmather0

I didn't notice until today that Chris Bell is back, this time running in a special election for the state legislature. I swear that guy is a joke at this point with all of the different offices he's run for and lost. Oops, I forgot, he got elected to Congress a few years ago and managed to serve just one term.

Why can't some people just take a hint? Is he allergic to having a real job?

As I commented in the Chron story, he's a career politician without the career!

I didn't notice until today that Chris Bell is back, this time running in a special election for the state legislature. I swear that guy is a joke at this point with all of the different offices he's run for and lost. Oops, I forgot, he got elected to Congress a few years ago and managed to serve just one term.

Why can't some people just take a hint? Is he allergic to having a real job?

As I commented in the Chron story, he's a career politician without the career!

Some people just love to be in office - it's a thrill for them; I seriously think they get a high or something.

I lived in DC for 20 years and I never saw so many local career politicians representative of their wards. They were in office when I got there and many were in office when I left. Come to think of it, many of the current congress was there too and is STILL there.

Some people love elected office.

His old district was fine. It was fairly represented and now it is shared with friggin Austin. That's one of the most ridiculous things to happen in this state in the past five years.

Oops, 25 is actually the one from Austin to the border. Tell me how this isn't a joke.

800px-TravisCountyDistricts.png

is being a lobbyist considered a real job?

Sure, it can be. There are plenty of people who are career lobbyists who have spent their entire career in Washington or Austin or wherever whose job it is to know the ropes and how the things work/get done in the system and they sell their expertise to others. It's in the 1st Amendment, even. I don't have anything against that.

I'm not quite sure where you're going with the question - Chris Bell went to work for a Washington firm last year after he didn't win the gubernatorial election, and then 14 months he's running for office again in the state house race. I have two comments:

1.) Most politicians retire to a lobbying firm after actually having been in office for a while where they made the connections and acquired the type of knowledge that that would be helpful in a lobbying context, and

2.) I would consider lobbying a "real job" if someone were to actually treat it that way instead of as a place to kill time until the next election comes around. In the context of Chris Bell, going to work for a lobbying firm is NOT a real job because it just fits in to my point that he is a desperate clinger to a shot at the political lifestyle and getting elected to office - ANY office - someday.

Here's the deal - he hasn't lost that many elections, but it just seems that way because he is CONSTANTLY running for one office or another. At this point for Chris Bell I would consider a "real job" to be anything outside of politics: he should go run a charitable organization or teach in a college somewhere for 10-15 years and then "come back" into politics - I think his brand and public image would improve tremendously.

Sure, it can be. There are plenty of people who are career lobbyists who have spent their entire career in Washington or Austin or wherever whose job it is to know the ropes and how the things work/get done in the system and they sell their expertise to others. It's in the 1st Amendment, even. I don't have anything against that.

I'm not quite sure where you're going with the question

just saying he does have a job as a lobbyist. several politicians i know personally do the same thing....and they definitely haven't retired. maybe he should get back into radio. <_<

when you look up the word ego in the dictionary, you'll see chris bell.

Archived