Old Mexico Inn Restaurant At 210 West Gray St.

Heights2Bastrop

Does anyone remember the Old Mexico Inn on West Gray? It was one of my favorite places to eat in the 40's. They had a large parott on a perch on the front court as you entered the restaurant. Great Food. :rolleyes:

Used to go there a few times a year with my family in the late 60s, when I was a little kid. Don't really remember much about it. Although, I do remember my favorite thing about going was getting "jumping beans" each time we left. If I remember correctly, the beans would move around a little in the palm of your hand.

When I moved back to Houston in the 90s, I think it was already gone.

I was a senior at Reagan when Durham was improved to become the southbound route. There was a stop sign at both 19th and 20th before the lights were installed. A friend pulled up next to me on 19th, and we did a short drag down Durham. A cop caught us both. That would have been either late

• 2 weeks later...

What stands in it's place are those big apartments that have shops and restaurants on the first floor along the sidewalk. Old Mexico was on the block bounded by Gray, Baldwin, Valentine, and Webster. It is an odd shaped block because Valentine cuts through at a diagonal. Here is a photo of the patio:

I was momentarily shocked to see that plac again..a place I was inside as a child. Thanks for the photo. I'd like to see a photo of that other restaurant called "Johns" on W. Gray... I think it was on the SW corner of W. Gray @ Dunlavy. Anyone have a shot of the Santa Claus rig at the Bairds Bakery? I thought of scavenging that large B sign that sat atop the bakery when they demolished the place ..when?..early 70's?

What stands in it's place are those big apartments that have shops and restaurants on the first floor along the sidewalk. Old Mexico was on the block bounded by Gray, Baldwin, Valentine, and Webster. It is an odd shaped block because Valentine cuts through at a diagonal. Here is a photo of the patio:

I was momentarily shocked to see that plac again..a place I was inside as a child. Thanks for the photo. I'd like to see a photo of that other restaurant called "Johns" on W. Gray... I think it was on the SW corner of W. Gray @ Dunlavy. Anyone have a shot of the Santa Claus rig at the Bairds Bakery? I thought of scavenging that large B sign that sat atop the bakery when they demolished the place ..when?..early 70's?

Captain Johns?

• The title was changed to Old Mexico Inn On West Gray St.
  • The title was changed to Old Mexico Inn Restaurant At 210 West Gray St.

Archived