Home Security Systems just "sort of" jacked me

OkieEric

Does this sound reasonable to others?

My home security system (pretty old school) finally died after a few days without power, and it lost our pin code once power came back on. A guy from the alarm company (Home Security Systems) called and told me it would be $75 for the service call and $75 for the battery if a new one was needed. I would assume these are chargeable back-ups and really doubted that a new one was needed, especially when there was no "trouble" light on. I obviously can't argue that point now

Anyway, my gf was home when they came by today, so imagine my surprise when I got billed $240ish - $75 for the call, $75 for a new battery (of course), and $75 for an hours' worth of labor. The labor part is ridiculous, since they called me less than an hour ago to say he'd be there soon - girlfriend says he was there half an hour tops

WTF?? Would this be covered under my homeowner's assuming roof damage is sufficient to cover my deductible? I've never had a problem with these guys before, but d$mn I'm irate now

Update: Still think I was ripped off a bit, but the service manager agreed to take half off the labor. $190 for a battery change! Yeah!

The batteries for most panels are available at Radio Shack. I just replaced mine recently. I think it was about $35.00.

Google the name on your panel and battery change to find instructions on how to change. And then just give Radio Shack the model number or bring the old one to the store.

travel time added sounds like..they did the same to me..i threw a fit and refused to pay. Charges were waived.

Crap...maybe I should have paid you $75 to call them for me. Interesting that everything from them is $75 - the battery, the service call, and the $/hr rate. Must make bookkeeping a snap

The batteries for most panels are available at Radio Shack. I just replaced mine recently. I think it was about $35.00.

Google the name on your panel and battery change to find instructions on how to change. And then just give Radio Shack the model number or bring the old one to the store.

The idea of doing this didn't occur until after getting screwed over, unfortunately! I've learned my lesson for next time... Either way, I did need them to come re-enter my pin code - is there a way to do that yourself? I honestly didn't think the battery needed replacing, so I didn't think it would even be an issue.

I say call and delicate flower even now to customer service. I've gotten out of most installation/fix charges for security, cable, all that junk. It's actually harder now that all of it is run out of India. My crazy ranting isn't on the script in front of them, they don't understand real customer service, and they don't usually have the power to do anything anyway.

I've never had a security system. I own guns and have a few cameras around the house. I think these security services are scams.

Neither guns nor cameras can call for help when you're not home. A well-run security system can at least let a human somewhere know that something is wrong. Not that it always works. It'll be pretty funny if some day you come home to find your guns and cameras have been stolen!

I say call and delicate flower even now to customer service. I've gotten out of most installation/fix charges for security, cable, all that junk. It's actually harder now that all of it is run out of India. My crazy ranting isn't on the script in front of them, they don't understand real customer service, and they don't usually have the power to do anything anyway.

This place is a local shop, as far as I can tell. My position was weakened somewhat b/c my girlfriend had already signed the invoice when the guy left - my fault for not telling her it shouldn't cost over $XXX. Then again, I didn't assume these guys would try to charge $250 for a battery change

As far as having a security service goes...in general I certainly don't mind paying the monthly (in my case, quarterly) fees. They sent the police once on a false alarm, so at least I know it works :)

Out of curiosity, as anyone had success converting an older (80's) style system over to a more modern one? We have the window/door sensors on every opening in the house. I once got a quote from these guys to do it, and of course it was some obscene amount so I never pursued it

Another update: after an interesting search, found the installation for my 25+ year old alarm panel on the internet. Resetting the code myself would have taken about 30 seconds

If anyone else is in a similar position once power is restored, take it to the 'net first

Neither guns nor cameras can call for help when you're not home. A well-run security system can at least let a human somewhere know that something is wrong. Not that it always works. It'll be pretty funny if some day you come home to find your guns and cameras have been stolen!

rofl, touche!

I do own a dog though and 99.9% of people are scared of her because she is a Pit/Rot mix.

My cameras also alert me when there is movement detected at my front, back or side doors and the picture window in the front (the most likely entry points).

I should rephrase. I think monitored systems are a scam. A loud siren with a few cameras/motion detectors will work just as well. The siren just has to be loud enough to alert neighbors.

I should rephrase. I think monitored systems are a scam. A loud siren with a few cameras/motion detectors will work just as well. The siren just has to be loud enough to alert neighbors.

Yeah, works well with car alarms. All my neighbors and I rush outside every time we hear one. :huh:

Let's see. At $30 a month, 25 years without an alarm, I've saved $9,000 on alarm fees. My insurance deductible is several hundred bucks. I think I've come out ahead on the deal.

Archived