Tree Advice?

I had about a 15 year old Crape Myrtle "lay down" during the storm but without any breakage other than roots. Anyone know if a tree that large (about 25') can be staked up (and recommended method?) or should I just take it down? It's right on the street, so I'm a little worried it might fall on a car or pedestrian if it's done incorrectly.

I just came from a friends house. He had a really tall tree (not sure what kind) do the same thing in Rita. They cut the top off and it has regrown very well. I know texasvines said in the discovery green thread that it's not a good idea it could be worth a try.

I just came from a friends house. He had a really tall tree (not sure what kind) do the same thing in Rita. They cut the top off and it has regrown very well. I know texasvines said in the discovery green thread that it's not a good idea it could be worth a try.

crape will be different that a regular tree

you can stand it up and cut it back to 3' tall or so or whatever hight you like

I would never say cut a regular tree that way because it is HORRIBLE and ugly

the correct way to prune a crape is to trim it to look like a lil tree or clump of trees

but many people regularly prune them back down to 3-4' tall because that is the style they prefer and they don't want a big tree like one..........they will not look near as bad as a regular tree and the color is on the new growth each new season........but once you cut one back to have it not look horrible year and year out you need to go ahead and cut it back regularly each dormant season

Archived