Proposing In Galveston

Hello guys/girls I am new to the forums and wanted to get some advice. I plan on proposing to my gf this coming weekend and thought about doing it in Galveston. Moody Gardens crossed my mind but wondering where else around Galveston would be really romantic. Any advice would be welcomed...thanks.

Hello guys/girls I am new to the forums and wanted to get some advice. I plan on proposing to my gf this coming weekend and thought about doing it in Galveston. Moody Gardens crossed my mind but wondering where else around Galveston would be really romantic. Any advice would be welcomed...thanks.

The Tremont House hotel is reputed to have an excellent brunch. The Steakhouse restaurant at the San Luis Resort (formal) or the Saltwater Grill (semi-formal, but more edgy atmosphere) would be good if you prefer a dinner proposal.

A less traditional/formal alternative would be a late night stroll on the beach.

Welcome and good luck this weekend.

A close friend of mine proposed in a hotel room in Moody Gardens... sounded OK (the rooms there aren't that great). I kind of like Niche's suggestion of a nice beach stroll. Maybe you could have a couple of events leading up to the big question or something, then pop some nice champagne after she says yes.

It's a personal decision though. I proposed in April, so I feel your pain. I had thought about getting a room at the San Luis, but decided to do a series of clues-type thing in H-town, I think on a suggestion from someone on this forum (ricco, maybe). ^_^

How about a nice room at the San Luis ? Something on one of the top floors with a view of the Gulf, then pop the quetstion at sunset. Just think, if she says "no" ,you can throw her over the balcony and say that she jumped. ;)

Warning: I do not advocate or condone throwing any woman over the balcony at San Luis just because they said "No." That was a joke.

Warning: I do not advocate or condone throwing any woman over the balcony at San Luis just because they said "No." That was a joke.

The type of joke I like!

Good luck with the proposal ssgmun5000.... Any of the mentioned options sound good to me (I'll keep them in mind whenever my time comes 20-30 years down the road).

The Tremont House hotel is reputed to have an excellent brunch. The Steakhouse restaurant at the San Luis Resort (formal) or the Saltwater Grill (semi-formal, but more edgy atmosphere) would be good if you prefer a dinner proposal.

A less traditional/formal alternative would be a late night stroll on the beach.

Another dinner option would be Luigi's on the Strand. It's a semi-formal Italian restuarant in an old restored building on the Strand. The food is good and the atmoshpere is is pretty nice.

I think there is also a new wine bar (Bacchus?) that opened up down the street. Never been there, but have heard good things.

A nice night out over the water, sitting on a pier, or on the beach, is always appropriate if you're proposing to someone who likes the coast. Just find a quiet place. I've known a few women to comment that the walk on the beach thing is dull and hackneyed. But I was proposed to on a beach at night, and it was just perfect. (Hmm, TheNiche knows what works. Interesting.)

Congratulations on taking the plunge. You'll do great!!

The last time I was there, in the Strand, they had horse-drawn carriages. Just a thought,

A nice night out over the water, sitting on a pier, or on the beach, is always appropriate if you're proposing to someone who likes the coast. Just find a quiet place. I've known a few women to comment that the walk on the beach thing is dull and hackneyed. But I was proposed to on a beach at night, and it was just perfect. (Hmm, TheNiche knows what works. Interesting.)

Congratulations on taking the plunge. You'll do great!!

Btw, ssgmun5000, a quiet beach on a nice night means four conditions must be met: 1) no people that can be seen or heard, 2) little or no glare from lights on beach houses, 3) a full moon, and 4) a very few clouds if possible, but clear skies are OK too.

Be picky. Scout locations beforehand and at night. The best place may actually be across San Luis Pass on Follett's Island. And watch weather reports closely to get the conditions right. This means that the trip may have to be somewhat spontaneous.

(Hmm, TheNiche knows what works. Interesting.)

Texas' islands have more romantic potential than they're given credit for--whether it is an island city with funky sophistication or even just an exposed quarter-acre of oyster bed accessible only by kayak. They've all been very good to me.

Btw, ssgmun5000, a quiet beach on a nice night means four conditions must be met: 1) no people that can be seen or heard, 2) little or no glare from lights on beach houses, 3) a full moon, and 4) a very few clouds if possible, but clear skies are OK too.

Be picky. Scout locations beforehand and at night. The best place may actually be across San Luis Pass on Follett's Island. And watch weather reports closely to get the conditions right. This means that the trip may have to be somewhat spontaneous.

Texas' islands have more romantic potential than they're given credit for--whether it is an island city with funky sophistication or even just an exposed quarter-acre of oyster bed accessible only by kayak. They've all been very good to me.

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I am starting to get nervous now since the big day is approaching.

my advice would be to choose a place that has been there long term and has stood the test of time as a place you want to have one of your most memorable moments

do not choose a place that is trendy or new.......you may not like what it becomes 10-50 years down the road when you possibly return there to relive the moment....if it is a beach or similar area again look for a park or some other similar area that will not be crappy vacation condos in 5 years

;) Spoken like a man who appreciates having options, ha. Many years of options!

No rush, my time will come, I'm still too young ;) . But kidding aside, thanks to the common law marriage around here, I'm already toasted.

.....that, and Chamo has to find a woman that will actually get liquored up enough to say "Yes!" first. ;):P:lol:

But TJ, the question needs to be asked, so I'll keep liquoring up myself first....

"Do It" on the Ferry.

The appropiate name for actually "Do it" on the Ferry could be "The Nautical Mile Club"!

Keep us updated ssgmun5000!

But TJ, the question needs to be asked, so I'll keep liquoring up myself first....

The appropiate name for actually "Do it" on the Ferry could be "The Nautical Mile Club"!

Nautical Mile Club, I likes the sound of that. I am gonna mention it to my old lady and see what she thinks. The windows are pretty well tinted on the Sequoia.

When my husband proposed, he took me to the Rainbow Lodge (old one) and we walked around the grounds. He stood me in front of this beautiful pond and told me to close my eyes and open my finger, then close the fingers on each hand when he told me to, making a fist. When he let me open them, there was a pink ribbon in my left hand - I looked around the pond, and right in front of me, across it, I could see where the blue ribbon had been tied to a blue one. When I opened my right hand, the most beautiful engagement ring I've ever seen was tied to the blue ribbon - he untied it, got on one knee and asked me to marry him.

I say all this to say that, yes, the ambiance is important, but so is the way you ask her.

Keep us posted!!!!

Well everything went good. I ended up proposing in the Rainforest Pyramid in Moody Gardens under a bunch of plant and flowers. I knew she was going to say yes but man was my heart beating. Thanks again everyone for the advice and making me feel a little at ease. Now its time to start planning for a wedding :)

Well everything went good. I ended up proposing in the Rainforest Pyramid in Moody Gardens under a bunch of plant and flowers. I knew she was going to say yes but man was my heart beating. Thanks again everyone for the advice and making me feel a little at ease. Now its time to start planning for a wedding :)

awwww...congratulations!! makes me want to do it all over again.

May I suggest the The Mermaid & Dolphin for a anniversary or Honeymoon place, me and the wife love it. We've stayed there many times.

http://www.mermaidanddolphin.com/

Great to hear! Weather was also awesome this past weekend. Let's just hope Ike decides not to visit Moody Gardens this coming weekend.....

Congratulations! As luck would have it, I took a kayak across the intercoastal from Tiki Island and paddled around near the entrance to Offat's Bayou, near Moody Gardens) on Saturday afternoon. I was on the water again in that vicinity yesterday around sunset...and a beautiful sunset it was.

Small world.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Proposing In Galveston

Archived