So my house didn't sell...

Scott08

The contract with my listing agent expired August 31, my home in North Norhill didn't sell after 7 months on the market. There was around 30 showings, one open house, two price reductions, but the only offer was one from a potential flipper at $50K under asking price. Feedback from the showings was pretty limited, most didn't even fill out the survey, the ones that did were fairly vague on the house's shortcomings. Almost all liked the location, felt the price was in the correct range for the neighborhood, but no one bit. Anecdotatal evidence (not on the surveys) was that perhaps the porch being enclosed, the bright blue exterior paintjob, and the modernist kitchen may have been turnoffs. I'm really disappointed, no one puts their house on the market not to sell. I don't know who or what to blame. Is the house really an albatross, did my realtor not do his job?, or is the economy just in the pits right now? I've decided to do nothing for the immediate future. My options include starting again with a different realtor, digging in and continuing with some of the improvements I would like to do for my longterm happiness, and/or have someone tell me what to change to make my house more marketable. Any suggestions or observations would be welcomed.

The contract with my listing agent expired August 31, my home in North Norhill didn't sell after 7 months on the market. There was around 30 showings, one open house, two price reductions, but the only offer was one from a potential flipper at $50K under asking price. Feedback from the showings was pretty limited, most didn't even fill out the survey, the ones that did were fairly vague on the house's shortcomings. Almost all liked the location, felt the price was in the correct range for the neighborhood, but no one bit. Anecdotatal evidence (not on the surveys) was that perhaps the porch being enclosed, the bright blue exterior paintjob, and the modernist kitchen may have been turnoffs. I'm really disappointed, no one puts their house on the market not to sell. I don't know who or what to blame. Is the house really an albatross, did my realtor not do his job?, or is the economy just in the pits right now? I've decided to do nothing for the immediate future. My options include starting again with a different realtor, digging in and continuing with some of the improvements I would like to do for my longterm happiness, and/or have someone tell me what to change to make my house more marketable. Any suggestions or observations would be welcomed.

I'm in the same boat, and can give you my thoughts, for what they are worth. I think the big problem is not your house, the pricing, or the Realtor (though I don't know much or anything about those factors, so they could be more at play than I think), but the market. We've gotten some extremely positive feedback but no offers. I think there are too many "bargains" out there due to foreclosures, so unless you're in a hot or at least strong neighborhood, it's tough to sell. I would have though North Norhill was a strong neighborhood, but maybe there's something that's making people hesitate--an unsavory business establishment nearby? a busy street?

My recommendation, and this is from a novice not a professional of course, is to hang in there a couple more months. Then if it still doens't sell, take it off the market for the winter, try a different exterior paint color, and put it back up for sale in March. You are lucky that you don't NEED to sell, so that's a good thing.

What a bummer, you have my sympathy. Personally, I'd like to give some bankers a good hard kick in the tookas for getting us into this real estate mess.

I own a place in the Heights and am in the process of buying another one. My realtor is pretty much exclusive to the Heights and he has no shortage of business and by June of this year had already surpassed his 2007 sales. PM me if you want his contact info.

I would ask 2 or 3 Realtors who do a lot of business in the Heights to visit the property and give you their opinion. I don't think the market is bad enough to warrant a home in our area being on the market for 7 months. I'm west of the boulevard and they are still selling relatively quickly.

We're in Sunset Heights and sold in 13 days. Do you still have a link active to your listing? We had a very aggressive agent who has lots of contacts. We did 2 open houses two weeks in a row and sold at the 2nd open house. We also painted and painted and painted--I think our outside color was pretty neutral but our inside colors ranged from light to very dark. We decorated appropriately to the color and didn't have any complaints. The major complaint that we have and everyone else had was the wonky layout of the house. We priced right and sold quickly. Let me know if you want my agent's name. I highly recommend her. Inventory out there right now is non-existant for a livable house (I know because I was looking for a place to move to) so if your home is priced right and in a showable state, it should be selling.

All the advice I've heard is to seriously reduce the asking price; in increments of 10% or more.

Here is the link http://harlistings.marketlinx.com/SearchDe...p;AgentId=janel thanks. We dropped the price twice in $5K increments, the original asking price was $249,900. I asked about dropping it once more but it was already near the bottom of the area's prices, look under North Norhill in HAR. In the surveys, only two people thought the price was too high, all others said it was in line for the area so I don't think that was the main/only factor.

Here is the link http://harlistings.marketlinx.com/SearchDe...p;AgentId=janel thanks. We dropped the price twice in $5K increments, the original asking price was $249,900. I asked about dropping it once more but it was already near the bottom of the area's prices, look under North Norhill in HAR. In the surveys, only two people thought the price was too high, all others said it was in line for the area so I don't think that was the main/only factor.

I am not saying my advice is right, just what I heard. You have to decide your profit motivation weighed against are you really trying to sell the house.

Most anything will sell at the right price.

That's a perfectly nice looking place. I looked at a few 2/1s in the area a while back and some did not have the same level of kitchen or bath updates for roughly the same the price. Personally, I would pass because of the closed in porch, but I still can't see it sitting on the market that long, unless there were a deal breaker in an inspection. I say get another realtor before dropping your price any more. I wonder if the 2/1s are getting harder to move than the larger places.

why no picture of the outside and the yard?

There was originally a picture of the front of the house, but my realtor thought maybe the blue color was scaring people off so he removed it. I'll have to dig for one or take another. Exterior is decent, roof and paint less than two years old. Garage is kind of ugly but I'm using it, it could use a coat of paint or new siding. I'll be honest and say curb appeal may be lacking. Front yard grass is good, driveway side has some plants growing, but nothing decorative in the front. Backyard has grass and uhhh...evidence...that a dog lives there but far from being unsalvageable.

That's a good question, we might learn a lot if we could see the yard. Anyway, the longer a home is on the market, the harder it may be to sell. Plus potential buyers can see how long it was on the market and they start to assume you must be ready to "give it away". The best thing to do is take it off the market for a little while and let it cool off. When you put it back on, the counter will reset to 1. With as many showings as you had, I'm not sure what more you would expect from your realtor. He's already put money and time into your property... unless he/she did something wrong, why not re-list with the same agent. I'm NOT an expert on the area, but usually a lot of showing and no bites means the price is too high. People don't like to tell you it's too high, they just say something nice (or nothing at all) and move on to one of the other hundred listings. Have to toured the other homes that are your "competition"? Ask your realtor to take you out and see what else is available, this will give some ideas to spruce up and will help you understand what is going on. Based on what you see, you may need to reevaluate your asking price. Also, I have *heard* of people re-listing higher to attract a different group of people. That's not advice though, just something to think about

I think it looks great. The only comment I would make is its proximity to North Main which is still a corridor that needs lots of TLC and probably a few teardowns. The blockbuster close to you had a brazen noontime armed robbery last week although its safe to say thats not indicative of the overall area. Rumor has it the city already has a contract out to re-do North Main from I-45 to Airline as part of the rebuilding process in this area so I'd think that would benefit any buyer out there.

I empathize with your situation having been there previously. There is an old saw in real estate that "if you are getting foot traffic at open houses and viewings but no offers, the price it too high". The health of the overall market, time the listing has been on the market, etc. certainly can influence the process but I think, as in many things, price dictates everything.

A good realtor with Heights experience could give you advice on a good go forward strategy (e.g. take it off the market for a while then relist at a lower price so it doesn't show as a 'price reduction' in MLS) but it seems to me that if you want to sell without making any further improvements, you'll have to cut the price.

Again, sorry your having to slug through this. I had a friend have a similar go round in Norhill about two years ago. It ain't fun.

I empathize with your situation having been there previously. There is an old saw in real estate that "if you are getting foot traffic at open houses and viewings but no offers, the price it too high". The health of the overall market, time the listing has been on the market, etc. certainly can influence the process but I think, as in many things, price dictates everything.

A good realtor with Heights experience could give you advice on a good go forward strategy (e.g. take it off the market for a while then relist at a lower price so it doesn't show as a 'price reduction' in MLS) but it seems to me that if you want to sell without making any further improvements, you'll have to cut the price.

Again, sorry your having to slug through this. I had a friend have a similar go round in Norhill about two years ago. It ain't fun.

I don't really believe that that adage holds true these days. I think a genuinely fair price still doesn't necessarily sell a house.

I would invest $500 to $1000 in landscaping while your house is "resting" off the market. Bad landscaping says "fixer-upper" before people even walk in the door. Why drop your price 5K or more, when investing less than 1K in an improvement like that might make the difference.

Lots of good advice here.

2 years ago, I stopped in an open house for a teeny-tiny little pink house on the north end of Michaux that was in a similar situation. I remembered it as being on the market for a long time, then off, then it was listed again. They repainted the living room and moved some furniture out to make it more spacious. I also asked the listing agent what was wrong with the house that it sat so long previously. She was pretty honest and told me there were some sewer issues that were since resolved, and yes, a new coat of paint inside.

It sold within 2 weeks of that open house. So there's definitely hope.

I love the paint and floors in your house. And the bedroom/baths are pretty much the same as comparable places. However, and this is just me, the kitchen screams "lack of cabinet space!" to me and that's kind of a deal-breaker. I've lived with a lack of cabinet space kitchen, and it was no fun at all.

I have a friend out in The Woodlands that is having a hard time selling,

It's a different market there than your area--but the only negative feedback is something they cannot change about the house

Kitchen/Breakfast area does not completely open up to the family room---there is a "three way firplace" between the two

Now, you would just think "heck, tear out the fireplace---but you can't, it's in the load bearing wall---a wall that goes up 24ft ( high celings here) would cost a fortune to re-configure

It was a former Lifeforms model home ( George Mitchell son was behind those homes-) no stucco, all brick, maple hardwoods--you know--they tend to upgrade the models a wee bit more..............

It's been on the market for 5 mo's and they have already reduced it by 18K--it's in an average price range for the area ( dead on average per the stats of the area)

All the listing agents do is tell them to keep dropping the price till it sells

Of course--- homes with the same floorplan "AND" a pool have sold quickly in their sub--- even when they are painted a "bright Red" inside, LOL!!!,so go figure

Anyway--I "feel your pain" I sold a home up in the "Woods" last Spring

barely breaking even after 7 yrs up there ( Custom home---bought low after the Enron crash, lowest purchase price in that liitle "hood" --another ex. model home on one of Lake Woodlands canals up there---one of the "cheap seats" on that "pond" too)

The cosmetic stuff you can change---alot of floorplans issues you can't

I would stage the house a bit differently to show better. All that furniture in the living room makes it look cramped. Can that bookshelf room divider be moved back towards the dining room a bit ? Perhaps changing the bright blue color to a more moderate "earthy" neutral tone could payoff for you. If YOU and your realtor think it's a problem, it most likely IS one.

You like IKEA, don't you, Scott08? ;) That's okay; so do I.

I would stage the house a bit differently to show better. All that furniture in the living room makes it look cramped. Can that bookshelf room divider be moved back towards the dining room a bit ? Perhaps changing the bright blue color to a more moderate "earthy" neutral tone could payoff for you. If YOU and your realtor think it's a problem, it most likely IS one.

I agree with TJones. Hate the word "stage" like I hate "actualize" and other buzz words of that nature, but he's right. You need to stage the home more effectively. That orange wall? I love that orange wall. But most buyers won't. It needs to be neutralized.

You can't see the home through all the clutter and random bits of furniture. Move that bookshelf somewhere else so that it doesn't block the view as you come in. I realize that you're using it as a room divider, but there are other ways to "divide" a room without a giant piece of furniture. You install a light fixture in the middle of the dining area, put your dining table underneath it (instead of shoved against the wall) and -- voila! -- instant dining room. You can use a rug to even further anchor the area and set it apart from the living space.

Get that TV out from in front of the window. My father does that exact same thing and it bugs the hell out of me. You want to showcase those beautiful windows and all that light, not block it with electronics. Put it against the wall opposite the fireplace if you must keep it in the room. Get the clutter off your mantle; you're detracting from the awesome fireplace you have. Get that dog bed out from under the dining table and put it elsewhere (if only for open houses and pictures that will be going onto HAR).

Use some of that great art you have in the spare bedroom/office. It looks too clinical there right now; it needs some warmth. Same with your kitchen. Put a bowl of fresh fruit out on the counter and maybe a rug in the center of the room. Make sure there's NO clutter in the kitchen in photos or during open houses, as it will only accentuate the lack of cabinet space (which is fine for some of us, but not everyone). Get that island cart out of there; put it in a closet during open houses/photos. Get a couple of plants in the house (real ones, please) to further warm it up, perhaps one in that front window and one on the enclosed porch.

Also, have you considered staging the enclosed porch as an office area instead of using your spare room as a bedroom and an office? I'm not saying you have to put your computer on the porch (since that's not too terribly safe), but you could put out a desk, chair, desk lamp, plant -- a nice little office setup out there -- and buyers can envision actually using that porch for something other than random, useless square footage.

I should probably stop now... You get the idea. :) Just showcase the great points about your home to the best of its potential. Right now, you're hiding them under bright paint colors, clutter and misplaced furniture. :)

If you do a google map search is your house the one the comes up listed as 1172 Jerome? They are always a little off on the addresses. If so, I can see a couple of reasons I would pass on your home although the things I look for are not necessarily the things other people look for. First of all, if I'm buying a house in the Heights or anywhere, I have to have trees in my yard. I'm too old to plant some and wait for them to grow--it already has to have trees. If that is your house, it doesn't look like there is a single tree in the yard. The outside looks well kept--the closed in porch wouldn't bother me. If it did I would just open it back up. The second problem I would have is if you only had a 1 car garage or if it was one of the old crappy garages. We built a new garage with our house and have since learned we cannot live without a 2 car garage. Third, your lot is small. The minimum lot size I'll buy is 6,000 so I have enough room for my 2 car garage. I don't see anything wrong with the interior other than you need to clear out some furniture. Put it in storage or stuff it in your garage.

I think you have it a little overpriced for what you have. Like I said I just sold for a little above your asking price but my house is a little bigger, my lot is bigger, my garage is bigger, my street is full of high priced homes and I'm a little further from Main St. My listing is here: http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

In the Heights you are basically selling the bungalow lifestyle so you really need to play up on the vintage in your home. There is nothing wrong with a house that the appropriate price doesn't fix.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. Although I'm still not absolutely convinced my price was too high, that is certainly a huge factor that's somewhat intangible...i.e. just because other houses in an area sell for a certain range doesn't mean others will find yours in the same ballpark. I also believe had I kept dropping the price, eventually someone (perhaps a flipper) would have bought it but fortunately I am not in a position where I have to sell at this time, just wanted to. Like most Americans a lot of my nest egg is tied up in my house so I do have to temper my sales price with my future needs. One unexpected side effect is the avalanche of form letters in my mailbox this week from realtors all saying they can sell my house where the first one failed. Not sure if this is a sign that the market is good or just desperate?

The realtors that say they can sell your house if you list with them are full of crap. If they had a buyer they could have brought them on already. If you let your listing expire, I would respond to the potential realtors that if they have a buyer for your home, you would be willing to sign a 24 hour agreement for that potential buyer only. You'll never hear back from any of them.

The realtors that say they can sell your house if you list with them are full of crap. If they had a buyer they could have brought them on already. If you let your listing expire, I would respond to the potential realtors that if they have a buyer for your home, you would be willing to sign a 24 hour agreement for that potential buyer only. You'll never hear back from any of them.

I've had one realtor from this forum PM me with some very lowkey advice that follows what most people on here are saying, that is try to identify what problems might exist, wait a while, then relist. The ones I referred to earlier are unsolicited pitches, each implying that my realtor was at fault and that they can make lemonade from lemons.

Archived