Favorite Camping Spot

CSOM

CSOM Gal and I (with CSOM Doggie) and our neighbors are planning on going camping sometime this fall (October?). We are looking for something mostly quiet (i.e. no loud keggers), with some utilities (i.e. public bathroom/shower?), and would prefer areas with some water, whether for canoeing, swimming, laying on rafts, letting doggie swim, etc. If I could cycle (road or mountain) while I'm there, that's a plus. Last requirement is not too far away (within 2-3 hour drive?) since it would just be a weekend trip with tents.

Anyone know of anything meeting that description? I'm thinking Bastrop or Buescher (sp?) state parks, but not sure I'd get in the water there... anyone else?

Thanks

Garner State Park meets all those criteria...it's a little further than you wanted, but still only about a 4-hr drive.

I've only been once, but it was around this time of year, and the crowds weren't bad. We slept under the stars within 100 ft of the river.

Also maybe Pedernales Falls State Park? It's around 3 hours away, and it's another beautiful Hill Country locale. The drive is half the fun.

CSOM Gal and I (with CSOM Doggie) and our neighbors are planning on going camping sometime this fall (October?). We are looking for something mostly quiet (i.e. no loud keggers), with some utilities (i.e. public bathroom/shower?), and would prefer areas with some water, whether for canoeing, swimming, laying on rafts, letting doggie swim, etc. If I could cycle (road or mountain) while I'm there, that's a plus. Last requirement is not too far away (within 2-3 hour drive?) since it would just be a weekend trip with tents.

Anyone know of anything meeting that description? I'm thinking Bastrop or Buescher (sp?) state parks, but not sure I'd get in the water there... anyone else?

Thanks

South Llano River State Park is a little far (near Junction, TX), but handily meets your criteria. It is also near Fredericksburg, which could make for a nice diversion on your way to or from. For quiet spots, I have a general mistrust of well-known campgrounds like Garner SP, Bastrop SP, or just about anywhere along the Guadalupe River.

Another good candidate, albeit with less topography, is Palmetto SP. It is a couple miles south I-10 near Luling, is close to some very good Lockhart BBQ options, and offers the opportunity for a 14-river-mile canoe trip from the Zedler Mill in Luling down the San Marcos River to the state park. I've done the canoe trip and would warn you to get an early start and also to be weary of the 12-foot dam towards the end of the run; there were probably a half-dozen portages when I went, but that is entirely dependent on flow.

I would concur with 20thStDad that Toledo Bend is a nice place to visit (and there are good parks on both the TX and LA sides), but I'd strongly recommend that you hold off on a visit until temperatures come down. The pines are a breeze-killer, and during the summer that is bad not only because the temperature feels so much worse but because the bugs can swarm you more easily. Most of East Texas options as well as Bastrop SP have much the same problem.

Garner State Park has always been a big time favorite especially for long time Houstonian's. This is the ultimate family scene and great for rock climbing.

There are several links.

http://www.texasescapes.com/TRIPS/Garner-S...-Park-Texas.htm

For the more grown up adult scene there was always Lake Travis and what?..Hippie Hollow if you like parading around in the buff. :o:)

Oh my God there is a website! what in tarnation?

Even on Wiki!? Now I've seen it all (pardon the pun).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippie_Hollow

hippiehollow.com

Archived