Snake Identification?

sheeats

Okay, I answered the spider question. Now I need help with a snake question... :lol:

I found this beautiful creature in my backyard yesterday evening. He seems to have made himself a nice home under our shed. We back right onto the bayou, so all kinds of random animals find their way into our backyard each night, but this is the first snake I've seen that looks like this. He's just under two feet long and is black/grey with striking orange marks and an orange head.

I'm no snake expert, but I'm pretty sure he's a Broad-Banded Water Snake. My husband thinks I'm an idiot and that it's a water moccasin / cottonmouth. But if you look closely, you'll see that he doesn't have that water moccasin "bandit mask" or whatever you want to call it on his head. His head is also not quite the right shape for a water moccasin / cottonmouth. He's also totally non-aggressive, which water moccasins aren't.

Snake2.jpg

Snake4.jpg

Snake3.jpg

Any ideas? I sure hope it's just a Broad-Banded Water Snake, because I'd hate to have to get rid of him if he's something venomous.

That's exactly what that snake is:

http://www.texassnakes.net/BroadBanded.htm

Please don't kill it. Unlike most snake species, this one probably won't eat many pests around your yard as they mostly eat fish and frogs, but they also won't hurt you or your pets, either. If you have to move it, pick it up and drop it into a garbage bag and quickly set it free next to the nearest bayou, but it won't hurt anything staying in your yard, either.

Eat it. Then blog about eating it.

Snake is a food that can be eaten raw, btw. Snake sushi.

I think I actually just gave you the next Houstonist foodie event, sheeats. You're welcome. :)

:lol: Thanks. :lol:

Now that I think of it, I've eaten rattlesnake (a loooong time ago). That should fill my snakes-as-food quota for a lifetime, I believe.

That's exactly what that snake is:

http://www.texassnakes.net/BroadBanded.htm

Please don't kill it. Unlike most snake species, this one probably won't eat many pests around your yard as they mostly eat fish and frogs, but they also won't hurt you or your pets, either. If you have to move it, pick it up and drop it into a garbage bag and quickly set it free next to the nearest bayou, but it won't hurt anything staying in your yard, either.

Thanks for the identification, cottonmather! :D

I'd never in a million years kill it -- it's Vertigo and Niche you have to worry about. ;) I love all manner of creatures, even the creepy-crawly ones. :)

Edited by sheeats

:lol: Thanks. :lol:

Now that I think of it, I've eaten rattlesnake (a loooong time ago). That should fill my snakes-as-food quota for a lifetime, I believe.

I still say kill it. Of course, I can't say anything other than that about snakes. Its a personal vendetta.

And by killing and eating it, you'd be eating locally-produced food, in theory reducing the amount of CO2 put out by trucks that would otherwise be on the road delivering the products that you would otherwise have eaten. So kill that snake, eat it, and save the world. Al Gore commands you!!!

When you go to Snake Farms like in Texas they have all sorts of semi-bizarro snake attire like rattle snake rattler earrings, necklaces and just freaky stuff. I could just plotz I'm tellin yuzz.

It still is really trippy to see them swallow poor helpless Stewart Little's or birds eggs, etc. Yikes! :(

Edited by Vertigo58

DON"T KILL IT! My house backs up to a bayou, and I have those watersnakes all the time, and what makes them great is they eat rats and mice. I've had a few cotton mouths and their easy to identify. their heads are more triangular (viper), and their generally a black/dark brown. Those I kill.

And by killing and eating it, you'd be eating locally-produced food, in theory reducing the amount of CO2 put out by trucks that would otherwise be on the road delivering the products that you would otherwise have eaten. So kill that snake, eat it, and save the world.

I hear they taste like chicken.

DON"T KILL IT! My house backs up to a bayou, and I have those watersnakes all the time, and what makes them great is they eat rats and mice. I've had a few cotton mouths and their easy to identify. their heads are more triangular (viper), and their generally a black/dark brown. Those I kill.

Do they eat rats and mice? Really??? That would be brilliant, as it would save me the karma of killing them myself. We have a huge rat / mouse problem because of the bayou, but I can't bring myself to put out poison and kill them. If that little water snake wants to take on one of those rats, more power to him. I'd be ecstatic. :)

Do they eat rats and mice? Really??? That would be brilliant, as it would save me the karma of killing them myself. We have a huge rat / mouse problem because of the bayou, but I can't bring myself to put out poison and kill them. If that little water snake wants to take on one of those rats, more power to him. I'd be ecstatic. :)

Oh yeah, I've seen them feast on them several times. I used to kill them (water snakes) not knowing what they were until I encountered one that was gourging himself with a very large rat. I've actually seen them go after small turtles to. I've also started putting cat food outside my back door to get the neighborhood cats to hang out at night, and it has worked like a charm. My rat and mouse population has dwindled down to almost nothing.

If you are getting rid of it, bring it to my yard so I can let it kill and eat the annoying little yippie dogs my neighbor has. That will keep me from having to deal with PETA for doing it myself.

I second that, yippety yappy dogs need to just die. That is a great use for the snake.

But to answer your question, I can't tell what type it is either, but I think cottonmather0 nailed it.

Do they eat rats and mice?

This is why we loved having our Gritty Kitties smuch those pesky mice. One used to pounce on them and snap off the head and leave at my door step as a token of appreciation. Sometimes only the heads would be positioned perfectly looking up but with no eyes. The kitty must have thought they were mud bugs.

Good kitty!

214993853_7ec746a0df.jpg?v=0

This is why we loved having our Gritty Kitties smuch those pesky mice. One used to pounce on them and snap off the head and leave at my door step as a token of appreciation. Sometimes only the heads would be positioned perfectly looking up but with no eyes. The kitty must have thought they were mud bugs.

Good kitty!

214993853_7ec746a0df.jpg?v=0

LOL! I had my new (outdoor) kitty bring one to my front door the other day. Good Kitty...

Just keep it as a pet in your house. Let it into your walls & attick... So you cats don't have to do the dirty work.

LOL! I had my new (outdoor) kitty bring one to my front door the other day. Good Kitty...

What really cracks me up is when I see the Kitty just laying there with a big grin and a mouse tail hanging out of his mouth. He is in total bliss! :lol: