Two Midtown Tracts/And A Vacant Building

First Tract:

Recently Fox 26 did a promo for a news story on the large tract of land at the NE corner of Taft and Grey. I know the city (or HISD) condemmed many of the older homes on the tract and were suppose to build a new school there. Did anyone see the story or does anyone have an idea of what is going on with that tract.

Second Tract:

Right across the street on the SW corner of the Taft and W Grey used to be an old vacant building. It used to be a resturant of some sort. It was demolished about 6 months ago and ever since they have been moving dirt around. I am dying to know what is going there. I keep preying it will be a Chick Fil A, but I know the site is not big enough. Maybe they are doing environmental work and are cleaning the soil. Any ideas.

Third Property:

Next to West Grey Cafe is an old yellowish building that looks like an house. It has not windows, and no signage. The parking lot is always full. It says it is parking for the Cafe, but I never see any cars in their parking lot. I thought for a while it might be employee parking, but there is no way that many cars are for employees. I thought it might be a sexual oriented business, but I do not think so. I also have fantasies that is ia card room and I might be able to play a little hold-em without driving across town. Anyone know what is up with that building?

1 - I saw the Fox news story and it mainly served to cement my dislike for HISD spokesman Terry Abbot even more. They are still hiring consultants, etc. to help determine whether or not there is an old Civil War burial site there. And HISD is having to spend quite a bit a money in the process.

2 - Oh yeah, that used to be a fried chicken restaurant, I think a Jim Dandy's? Then it was boarded up for a long time before it had a short-lived stint as "A&D Seafood, Chinese and Hamburgers" :rolleyes: I didn't realize it was demolished.

3 - I remember this house was in the news a few years ago because there was an illegal gamling bust there! I think they had slot machines or something.

BTW I wouldn't refer to that area as "Midtown" but I think we had that discussion already on another thread :)

1 - I saw the Fox news story and it mainly served to cement my dislike for HISD spokesman Terry Abbot even more.  They are still hiring consultants, etc. to help determine whether or not there is an old Civil War burial site there.  And HISD is having to spend quite a bit a money in the process.

This is yet another reason why i always vote against HISD bond elections. In the old days about 80-85% of the money was spent for directly teaching children....now it's like 50%. HISD officials always say"vote for the bonds for the children." i'mgoing to start another topic on free lunches.

This is a major boondoggle. I was glad to see Mr. Pizzitola speak up on the news. He was the last hold out. He grew up in the home and returned after his parents died.

Another building I am wondering about.

It basically takes up an entire block bound by W Grey, Webster and Travis and Milam. It has been vacant for as long as I can remember. Does anyone know what building this is, who owns it, and why they have no torn it down or re-habbed it. I think I remember something about Asbestos? Anyone !!

• The title was changed to Two Midtown Tracts/And A Vacant Building