Anyone Know This House?

Hey folks,

I am curious to know if anyone knows of what looks to be a very large, old house, with a tin roof, that seems to be staying put in spite of clearing the land around it...it's on the northwest corner, set back a ways, with no direct road to it that I can see....anyway it's more on W. Little York than anywhere else but you can see it from Hwy 6, that interesection there.

I wish that I had my camera with me this morning, I saw it again, was very pleased it is still there, it looks to be kinda old and wonderful. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

I didn't put this in the Katy section because technically, it isn't. It's West Houston.

The Old house on 1960 @ West Little York Rd.

This is THE largest private residence in all of the area. A single family house with almost 9,000 sq ft. (8,989 Sq.Ft) with a tract of land of over 2,829,222 Sq. Ft. plus a 80+ acre tract of land adjacent to it.

I actually had my camera that same weekend, and on Saturday (3/19), ventured INTO the property to take as many pictures as possible. BEAUTIFUL huge house, constructed in 1940, HUGE: 8,989 sq. ft. house, two stories, 6 bedrooms, 6 full baths, 2 half baths, 3 rec. rooms, 3 fireplaces, Gunite pool. A very interesting place. mounted on some sort of platform (flood risk, since it sits just feet from the river), the house seemed to be without electricity, but a generator was running. It seems to be in use, with hanging planters and flower pots on all the fabulous porch area (over 100 ft. long !!!). The house has a "Plantation" type look.

You can see dim lights at night if you drive thru West Little York. Great trees all around. Lots of old trees, but you know that could be gone anytime now in favor of some sort of shopping center. (sounds familiar? Remember the VERY old Oak on the corner of Clay and Highway 6? GONE...now in it's place, a "Darke Tan sign"

As soon as I have those pictures available will try and post.

Current owners of the whole 80+acres are listed per HCAD (Appraisal district) records as: "Blue Sky Ly properties, LLC", but no mention of actual owners even in "ownership history" section. I am very interested in knowing the history behind such farm house. It was the center of a large cattle ranch/farm operation that covered the whole area from FM 529 road, south to West Little York Rd. and as far back as Barker Cypress Rd. Quite a large property.

It is not that "old" or historical(built 1940), but its looks and size give it an air of old-time style. We can only imagine the lifestyle then and there.

To bad "progess" is taking over such places.

• 1 month later...

Hello...I am new to this message board but I registered mainly because I have a great curiosity about this same old house myself. I have lived in Houston my entire life and in the Copperfield area for about 15 years. I have wondered about that place for so many years. I have been trying to do some research to find out about it and the only thing I have been able to discover is that the land was owned for many, many years years by the Matzke family. There is an elementary school elsewhere in our Cy-Fair ISD that is named Matzke Elem. because of Mrs. Ernestine Matzke who was a teacher in this district for 40 + years and I have found family connections between her and many other Matzkes who lived in the Cypress and Barker areas here. I have not , however found any further info about the house itself, like what it was named or called back then. My husband and I once tried to drive up there to take a look but, a very unfriendly couple in a truck came down the drive and said it was private property and we should leave. I just wanted to see the beautiful old house. I am sure there are other people in this area who are just as curious as we are about it. Its not like we have evil intentions about it :D , we just want the chance to see and appreciate it before it does get torn down. What a shame that will be!!! I have to believe it has a long and wonderful history!! Well, anyway...I hope that adds a little more info for those who are wondering about it and if it leads you to further discovery, please post so we can share our discoveries!! Can you tell I am fascinated by it ?? :) By the way, if anyone has been able to get any pics of it, I would love to see them!! Thanks, Good Witch

I'm not too observant. And my memory is bad. I've driven by the area many times over the years and the house had become invisiible to me -- but now that the topic has been raised I *very* vaguely recall seeing a big house in a field over 25 years ago.

I did find Herman S. Matzke was appointed postmaster of the Fairbanks station (as in Cypress-Fairbanks) on Apr 19, 1911.

Hey folks,

I am curious to know if anyone knows of what looks to be a very large, old house, with a tin roof, that seems to be staying put in spite of clearing the land around it...it's on the northwest corner, set back a ways, with no direct road to it that I can see....anyway it's more on W. Little York than anywhere else but you can see it from Hwy 6, that interesection there.

As you might have guessed, land owners don't clear land and bring in fill for nothing. It cost $$$$ --- Hint, what retail store goes up on what seems like every corner along Hwy 6/FM1960? They sell the same stuff that the store on the opposite corner with initials for it's name sells. Also, look for a mirror of the 6/529 intersection at 6/WLY

As far as the house. I don't know of any immediate plans to demolish it, but as that corner development continues - I'm sure it will be done.

Most of the tracts of land are slated for developement under the name blue sky. I don't know if if that'll be the name of the subdivision though. I also don't know if the house will go with the development.

I know we worked some feasibilities for the site and did some cost estimates for the filling it would need.

Well, I am sure progress will bring it down eventually but I sure wish I could get a peek at the inside of it before it goes. Myself and a few of the teachers I worked with recently have had all sorts of ideas about what it could be used for if someone were to buy the house and renovate it . We have thought it would be great as a Bed & Breakfast, antique store, museum with history of the area, tea room and restaurant, art & craft emporium, etc. LOL :) Of course, that is just female wishful thinking because we will hate to see it go since it is such a grand old house. Well, I am glad to see that I am not the only one who notices and appreciates such places and the architecture of the past. I am still researching to find info on the history of the house itself but no luck so far.

Archived