How NOT to photograph your house

editor

I found this great blog that collects horrible pictures that people are actually using to sell their houses.

I know that not everyone hires a professional photographer to shoot their homes (but you should!) so this is what we end up with.

http://lovelylisting.blogspot.com/

Here's a picture that's no longer online:

28125922_6_1.jpg

Um, I don't get it... do those people really have an enormous dog? I think I am too literal-minded. Funny picture, though!

You all know how I feel about bad pictures. I almost always use a professional photographer, it is not that expensive.

One of the things for me that makes it hard sometimes is when you have a seller that just won't clean up so you can get the decent shots. I sent photographers out on one and they couldn't take any of the formals since they were storing a washer dryer, some big boxes, huge kids playsets scattered everywhere. I have had to make beds to get any shots of those rooms or running around picking up junk, or shoving it one side to get the shot.

Uninformative or poorly focused pictures is one of my pet peeves. I think a good realtor should use the listing as a tool to convey as much information about the house as possible. This includes posting as many photos as HAR will allow. I would even suggest setting up a photobucket site with additional photos, as well as scanned copies of the sellers disclosure, receipts for recent work done, etc.

This extra work up front might help potential buyers make decisions on houses before requesting showings that waste the time of both parties. It would also make it more difficult to hide negative aspects about the house.

You all know how I feel about bad pictures. I almost always use a professional photographer, it is not that expensive.

One of the things for me that makes it hard sometimes is when you have a seller that just won't clean up so you can get the decent shots. I sent photographers out on one and they couldn't take any of the formals since they were storing a washer dryer, some big boxes, huge kids playsets scattered everywhere. I have had to make beds to get any shots of those rooms or running around picking up junk, or shoving it one side to get the shot.

and you're listings always reflect that. I spent 6 months looking for this last place and the photos of places I looked, ugh. Yours were so nice in comparison. Plus your copy is good! Salesy and descriptive without being cheesy. A hint of insider speak since you know the client profiles in your 'hoods.

As a professional sales copy hack, I can say it: oh my god, HAR is so very painful sometimes.

BTW the dog picture reminds me of the beer commercial with the guy in his backyard who distracts the giant yellow lab with a giant tennis ball catapult. That's a good one.

I got a post card with this picture on it.....

hr2091365-16.jpg

Granted I have seen worse, but this one she picked to add to a postcard. If everything looks that bad, just put the one shot of the front and call it a day. I don't think this pic is going to help you any. At least it doesn't include the old junk car at the opposite end.

I got a post card with this picture on it.....

hr2091365-16.jpg

Granted I have seen worse, but this one she picked to add to a postcard. If everything looks that bad, just put the one shot of the front and call it a day. I don't think this pic is going to help you any. At least it doesn't include the old junk car at the opposite end.

I'm sure she was just using to highlight the fact that the sewer line had been recently replaced. LOL

Seeing the swimming pool picture... I saw a listing on MLS once where they had filled in the pool, had a nice green lawn growing where the water used to be - and they left the ladder. All you saw was green... and then a pool ladder going into the ground. What was sad is they probably thought no one would ask questions...

Seeing the swimming pool picture... I saw a listing on MLS once where they had filled in the pool, had a nice green lawn growing where the water used to be - and they left the ladder. All you saw was green... and then a pool ladder going into the ground. What was sad is they probably thought no one would ask questions...

To funny. If it was in Montrose or the Museum District you could call it "art" and double the selling price!

Here's a new one -- This house comes with a free Hawaiian guy!

F1777218_0.jpg