Leave The Rental Car Behind

Know anybody with a subscription to Time Magazine?

Houston boosters will be thrilled. The March 14 issue contained a flat out rave about all the great stuff there is to do here. Emphasis is on light rail and downtown. Hotel Icon gets a mention. Ditto Bossa and Sambucca Jazz Caf

I did see the article and it was pretty good though it didn't even mention Hermann Park or the Medical Center as places to see or visit along the rail line. Also, not to be nitpicky but the article appeared in a special "bonus section" called Inside Business, which is basically an ad supplement. It's not even listed in the magazine's Table of Contents.

I did see the article and it was pretty good though it didn't even mention Hermann Park or the Medical Center as places to see or visit along the rail line.  Also, not to be nitpicky but the article appeared in a special "bonus section" called Inside Business, which is basically an ad supplement.  It's not even listed in the magazine's Table of Contents.

The medical center is awesome. But noboby really wants to visit it. Especially an overnight stay.

I would post the article if I knew how. I do have a scanner but I don't know how to get it on to this website. Good point on the Medical Center, not a place to visit.

But the article is a little skimpy. Why mention Bossa but completely leave out the entire Theatre District as a train destination?

Could someone with one of those nifty elite subscriptions post the article for the rest of us?

Here you go.

Texas Two-Step

LEAVE THE RENTAL CAR BEHIND AND EXPLORE HOUSTON BY PUBLIC TRANSIT. SERIOUSLY

By JYOTI THOTTAM/HOUSTON

Monday, Mar. 14, 2005

A rare and exotic species has found its way to Houston of late. Known in other cities as pedestrians, the carless creatures are suddenly appearing along a vibrant 7 1/2-mile stretch of the city, thanks in large part to Houston's new light-rail system. Any new visitor to the city would do well to see them in action--and join them for a ride on the new rails and a stroll around town.

Where to begin? Pick your spot. Reliant Park, a popular convention site, is on the Metrorail route, close to Reliant Stadium (home of the Houston Texans and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo). So are the hotels and high-rises of Houston's downtown business district. Near the northern end of the rails lie the Toyota Center, where Yao Ming's Rockets hold court, and Minute Maid Park (known locally as the Juice Box), where Roger Clemens pitches.

The Metrorail also goes deep into the heart of Houston's museum district. The Museum of Fine Arts and the Contemporary Arts Museum are on Bissonnet Street, adjacent to the rail. Also nearby: the Menil Collection--one of the country's most distinguished troves of 20th century art, in a serene, minimalist setting--and the Rothko Chapel, designed by artist Mark Rothko and home to 14 specially commissioned works in undulating shades of black, gray and violet.

And don't forget the food. Bank Jean Georges at the Hotel Icon, a lavishly restored former bank, sits less than two blocks from Preston Station on the Metrorail. Part of the culinary empire of chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten, the restaurant is a temple to gorgeous, delicious food. Golden, ruby red and candy-striped beets brighten a simple salad; Texas blue crabs star in a sublime crab cake. For a more casual, festive evening, try Bossa, near the Main Street Square stop, which offers zesty pan-Latin fare and has a hopping bar scene. Afterward, stride down the block and across the street to Sambuca Jazz Cafe on Texas Street, where you can hear live jazz and sample a California-heavy wine list.

While the Metrorail may pose little threat to Houston's status as a concrete paradise, it is a great alternative to downtown's scarce and expensive parking. A one-day Metrorail pass is just $2 (if anyone bothers to check your ticket), and several stations have their own parking lots. Of course, taking a walk in Houston means leaving the air conditioning behind. You've been warned.

Link: http://www.time.com/time/insidebiz/article...1034703,00.html

Discover a new Houston by light rail

Leave your car behind

09:03 PM CST on Friday, March 18, 2005

By SUZANNE MARTA / The Dallas Morning News

Houston without a car?

Don't laugh. More than $4 billion in public and private investments in Space City's downtown during the last decade has carved out a visitor-friendly atmosphere that offers a whole new kind of Houston getaway.

Forget shopping at the Galleria or going to NASA. (At least on this trip.)

MICHAEL AINSWORTH/DMN

A Ferris wheel lights up the night sky on the midway of the Downtown Aquarium, a family entertainment center. Instead, explore the city's downtown without being in the driver's seat.

The bulk of nightlife, dining and lodging options for the car-less visitor are in the downtown core.

Just hop a Metro train on the city's new 7.5-mile, 16-station light rail line. The sleek trains are simple to use and quick, with arrivals about every six minutes during the day. (And every 18 minutes during late-night hours.)

In about 30 minutes, you can go from the campus of the University of Houston-Downtown (on the line's north end) to Reliant Park (on its south end) for a buck. A day pass is $2.

So why not stop and explore?

Within a few blocks from the Ensemble/HCC station in Midtown, visitors can meander through antique shops, dine on tapas at Ibiza and catch a live show at Houston's Continental Club.

The light rail efficiently shuttles art lovers to Houston's museum district, encompassing 17 institutions, including the city's Museum of Fine Arts and Museum of Natural Science.

You can explore the Rice University campus, visit the zoo or rent pedal boats on Hermann Park's picturesque McGovern Lake.

You can easily reach these attractions and more without wheels of your own.

Before the Trans Texas Corridor really puts a delay on intrastate rail connections, Houston/Dallas/Fort Worth political power brokers and the voting public need to convince state transportation decision makers to build a high speed train connection between the downtowns of Houston, Dallas.

For residents of state's largest population centers, those "Known in other cities as pedestrians, the carless creatures" must be able to walk to their ride. A third option to the car and plane must be built. There are already millions of Texans living or working within 15 minutes of a rail station. The door to door trip time would be quicker by train for millions of potential yearly trips between the population centers.

The quality of life in the central city would be enhanced by a local embarkation point taking residents to a different city. A Houston to Dallas high speed train would reinforce municipal transportation efforts. Weekend excursion would be much more convenient without the hassle of an airport or a four hour drive, and the municipal light rail systems provide the carless vacationeers with access to the heart of both cities. Business travelers would become the heavy users of very convenient door to door train service between the states central business districts. Increased connectivity between the states dual business districts is a prerequisite to expanded influence in American and world markets.

Can you imagine how that Time Magazine advertising supplement would read when covering a weekend long train ride between downtown Houston/Dallas? If I lived in either downtown, and I could get to the other in 2.5 hours, I'd do it all the time.

Anyway, I hope that bit of press futher convinces Houston skeptics that light rail will be a good invensment. When downtown, midtown and uptown are all on the same train route, that carless existance in Houston would actually be pretty nice.

For residents of state's largest population centers, those "Known in other cities as pedestrians, the carless creatures" must be able to walk to their ride.  A third option to the car and plane must be built.  There are already millions of Texans living or working within 15 minutes of a rail station.  The door to door trip time would be quicker by train for millions of potential yearly trips between the population centers.

I always thought it would be cool if Houston, Dallas, Austin, Ft Worth, San Antonio, Corpus etc all banded together and worked out a way to offer rail service between all these cities. One line from Gavleston to Houston to Dallas. Another along I-35 taking people from Dallas to Waco to Austin to San Antonia to Corpus. Another along I-10 from San Antonio to Houston. If there was fast reliable service to these cities and the prices were less than a roundtrip on SW I think more people would consider this form of travel. I for one would love to hop on a train and be in Dallas three hours later.

^Ya, trains make better sense than planes for many trips around the Texas Triangle. I wonder if a measurable reduction in air pollution would result if half of the intrastate air traffic became intrastate train traffic. In light of a 30 year doubling of the Triangle population, those downtown train station need to be open in 10 years. Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Fort Worth and Dallas all have downtown areas ready for the pedestrian. Running a train from Orange to Brownsville, what an excellent option for regional residents when planning a Gulf Coast vacation.

Yes guys, but when you are talking about all of this train use, you are forgetting one MAJOR factor. This would cut into the profits of some of the politicians buddies, and you know cutting into a individual's profits, even if it is for the benefit of most Texans, is a no no.

Also, most of you don't realized that the immense cost for land often kills any proposals for rail. The trans-Texas Corridor is an attempt not only to build a highway, but to also provide a path so that building these visions of a cross state railway possible. All TTC paths require room for dual rail lines in the median and the roadways have to be build to accomadate the shallow slopes the rail needs to travel up hills.

If you let the TTC move forward, the possibility of the rail for the triangle will become closer to reality. Of course it'll be 20 or 30 years from now.

Air pollution is the biggest hurdle toward a higher standard of living in Texas cities. The state govt is obliged to provide the most effective solutions for the problems associated with rapid population growth. Upgrades to the highways are manditory, but the Federal Govt is obliged to pay for more efficient Interstates. I have no idea why Gov. Perry has so profoundly allowed a disconnection for Federal responsibility to the passenger and cargo need of Texas' interstate highways. All the energy put into developing a third party plan would be much better applied in securing Federal funding for the necessary cargo highways. NAFTA is the Federal action which promoted much of the road traffic increase. Upgrading the infrastructure should receive Federal funding.

The political battle between the needs of the people and the needs of the corporations generally is decided by the side most effective in manipulation of public opinion through the media. It would take a very powerful citizen action group to overcome the corporate directives to stifle any grass roots pressure to provide citizens a third transportation option. It could be done, though, since plane, gas and auto companies would still experience significant growth due to intrastate travel within the State.

The TTC is a necessity, and the state is on track to have installed a transportation solution adequately timed to the population increase. However, the TTC would be a failure, to me, as long as the rail component is an afterthought. The trains must connect the central business districts before the fancy new tollroads are open. This would bring to the state a new industry, one which could operate profitablly if given equal footing to compete against airplane and personal vehicle transportation.

Futhermore, train connections between the big cities will underwrite the success of municipal efforts to expand light rail. The large percentage, if not a majority, of potential train travelers between Houston and Dallas would step from one train to the other.

The state has the opportunity to at least partially solve three significant problems with rapid population growth through the installation of city to city train service: pollution, business development and support of municipal investments. Placing the primary directive to improve the standard of living upon the shoulders of elected officials will facilitate intrastate train travel.

Getting back to the original topic about touring the city's attractions on MetroRail, I'm a regular contributor over at IgoUgo.com, a travel website featuring reviews of attractions, hotels, restaurants, and more written by real travelers. One of my first "journals" (what they call an organized group of reviews) was called "Tour Houston by MetroRail," in which I listed many attractions along the MetroRail line, as well as directions for getting downtown from the airports using Metro. To my amazement, in the seven months since creating that journal, it's had well over 4,000 hits, and I've had tons of comments from visitors to the site who never imagined that they really could visit Houston and see a lot of things without getting in the car and driving. I've even had people send me messages after their trip thanking me for the advice. I've also got several other Houston journals there, and the site editors featured my work on Houston in their quarterly newsletter in January. Of 50 journals on Houston, I've got four of the top five as ranked by the editors for quality. Granted the site isn't the most well-known travel site out there, but through their partnerships, my Houston information is showing up on about seven or eight different travel websites. So I think I've done my part to help promote tourism in our fair city. You can see my entries by clicking here and then going to any of the entries created by user "ssullivan" (same name as here).