Houston In Automobile Commericals....

UrbaNerd

Not to oversay what you said.. did that make sense?

I saw a guy (I was with my dad who was driving on 59 on Sunday going to Sugar Land) trying to jump from the overpass of the freeway ledge and police were there. i'm surprised they didn't shut down the street below, get back up, OR close any of the lanes down. If that guy would have jumped, he would have definately suceeded his mission in killing himself. BUT we didn't hear about it on the news so I hope things turned out the best and he decided NOT to jump!

Even if the guy did jump, you probably wouldn't have heard about it. Most news departments don't do suicides unless its someone important, or they killed themselves in some spectacular way (blew themselves up, took out a few family members, screwed up rush hour traffic, jumped off Williams Tower, etc...)

Even if the guy did jump, you probably wouldn't have heard about it.  Most news departments don't do suicides unless its someone important, or they killed themselves in some spectacular way (blew themselves up, took out a few family members, screwed up rush hour traffic, jumped off Williams Tower, etc...)

I get what your saying!! Thanks. Makes alot of sense :)

Nice flame.  Too bad you have nothing to back it up.

Freeways are shut down all the time for a number of reasons.  Freeways exist because they are tools of commerce, not just transportation.  They are shut down for things like moving a large house or a private yacht, relocating livestock, and yes -- filming commercials, TV shows, and movies.

How do I know?  Because it's my JOB to know.  All it takes is the right permits, and the right fees paid.  Every state, and most large cities, employ people whose full-time job is making things like this happen for TV shows, commericals, and movies.  In Texas, it's the Texas Film Commission.

Laughable. "Your job". What, do you moonlight as a grip for Love Advertising on Gallery Furniture spots?

I agree a large motion picture might have the budget to close a portion of a freeway, though even then they would opt to go the route I suggested...as when "The Chase" used an unopened portion of Beltway 8 as a stand-in for an LA freeway. It simply doesn't make financial sense.

Most national car spots are done for production budgets of under $200,000. That barely buys you a national production company and equipment rental, much less the kind of payment needed to close a freeway. A local/regional car spot budget is from $3000-$12,000.

Nice try, Internet boy. I know Montrose1100 is impressed with your link to the Texas Film Commission. I am not.

Laughable. "Your job". What, do you moonlight as a grip for Love Advertising on Gallery Furniture spots?

I agree a large motion picture might have the budget to close a portion of a freeway, though even then they would opt to go the route I suggested...as when "The Chase" used an unopened portion of Beltway 8 as a stand-in for an LA freeway. It simply doesn't make financial sense.

Most national car spots are done for production budgets of under $200,000. That barely buys you a national production company and equipment rental, much less the kind of payment needed to close a freeway. A local/regional car spot budget is from $3000-$12,000.

Nice try, Internet boy. I know Montrose1100 is impressed with your link to the Texas Film Commission. I am not.

I'm not going to debate the merits of my job with you. I do not debate the merits my full-time job in this forum. I will only say that my work is in 66 million homes. Yours not.

I've never worked on a national car spot, so I don't know what their budgets are like. I do know that in the places I've worked, if you tried to hire a union crew for $3000 you would be laughed out the door.

Now, let's put all this aside, as the bickering may be of interest to you and me, but not to the rest of the forum. We have a number of good discussions on this web site, and I don't want to be party to one of them dissolving into a stupid flame war. I suggest that we just agree that we have had different life and professional experiences.

I'm not going to debate the merits of my job with you.  I do not debate the merits my full-time job in this forum.  I will only say that my work is in 66 million homes.  Yours not.

I've never worked on a national car spot, so I don't know what their budgets are like.  I do know that in the places I've worked, if you tried to hire a union crew for $3000 you would be laughed out the door.

Now, let's put all this aside, as the bickering may be of interest to you and me, but not to the rest of the forum.  We have a number of good discussions on this web site, and I don't want to be party to one of them dissolving into a stupid flame war.  I suggest that we just agree that we have had different life and professional experiences.

Well, I've never worked on a $3000 budget either, but I know those who have. That's a 2-man crew with post done in-house. Think local chevy dealer or some such spot.

I do wonder how you claim to know the reach of my work. Suffice it to say that if your work as a grip is " in 66 million homes" I'm guessing you're referring to total impressions. Try not to puff yourself with too much importance there, Ogilvy.

And just so you know, you shouldn't assume that I haven't had large scale projects. I'm working on one now with an over $800,000 production budget and a media buy that will top $18 million. Rest assured, our reach nationwide will be of note to you, if you are in fact in this business. I've also led a creative team on an in-house account with a more than $200 million budget. Yeah, we did network and spot TV, magazines, an MLB sponsorship and FSIs in practically every major newspaper in the country.

In none of these conditions have I tried to make myself feel important by trying to state how many "millions of homes my work is in". That kind of convoluted statement makes me think you may be an AE or some other kind of dead weight on a team.

So, it starts to make sense, after all.

Well, I've never worked on a $3000 budget either, but I know those who have. That's a 2-man crew with post done in-house. Think local chevy dealer or some such spot.

I do wonder how you claim to know the reach of my work. Suffice it to say that if your work as a grip is " in 66 million homes" I'm guessing you're referring to total impressions. Try not to puff yourself with too much importance there, Ogilvy.

And just so you know, you shouldn't assume that I haven't had large scale projects. I'm working on one now with an over $800,000 production budget and a media buy that will top $18 million. Rest assured, our reach nationwide will be of note to you, if you are in fact in this business. I've also led a creative team on an in-house account with a more than $200 million budget. Yeah, we did network and spot TV, magazines, an MLB sponsorship and FSIs in practically every major newspaper in the country.

In none of these conditions have I tried to make myself feel important by trying to state how many "millions of homes my work is in". That kind of convoluted statement makes me think you may be an AE or some other kind of dead weight on a team.

So, it starts to make sense, after all.

I'm not sure why you assume I'm a grip, unless you're intent is to malign grips. The 66 million figure is accurate as of July, 2004 when the latest contracts became effective. My yearly production budget exceeds yours by two orders of magnitude, and unlike you, I do not engage in puffery.

If you're as good as you claim, then it's a shame that you're such an ass. Our mutual contacts and projects could have been an asset to each other, but rather than start on a course of constructive partnership, you chose to attack me and my credentials. It's a small business. You should be more careful.

I do not intend to continue this pissing match. It serves no public purpose. If you want to flame in e-mail, that's fine, but don't post any more of your rants or boasts in the forum. They will be removed.

I don't think anyone needed you to point out I was brown nosing...

Everyone is smart on there own, thank you...

I don't think anyone needed you to point out I was brown nosing...

Everyone is smart on there own, thank you...

I wouldn't worry about it. He just sounds like someone who's angry or insecure with their life or career. Maybe he works at one of the string of crappy TV production houses set up by a string of failed Houston news anchors. Or maybe he was one of those who put all their eggs in the Debra-Duncan-Is-Going-To-Be-The-Next-Oprah basket, only to be left with nothing when she went to 11.

He's in no position to disparage my job, or the occupation of anyone else on this forum.

After all, we don't go down to Harwin and knock the dick out of his mouth when he's trying to earn a living.

Archived