School Property Tax Relief

jm1fd

True that!  Another thread should be started on what impact potential school property tax relief will have on home values.  In my experience, people can afford a certain amount each month for housing--whether that is all mortgage, all rent, all tax, etc., isn't important as long as the final number matches up to what is affordable.

Currently a house in the city of Houston, in HISD valued at $150k with a homestead exemption has a total annual tax of $3412.01 or $284.33 per month.

With the proposed "relief" (1/2 percent cut on school taxes) the same house, same value, same exemptions would have a total annual tax of $2765.09 or $230.42 per month.

As far as I'm concerned $54 bux a month isn't anything to write home about.

Guest danax

It would translate to being able to afford about $9000 more house at 6%, 30 years and still have the same payments. Not a biggie but if they also manage to pass the proposed limit of 5% per year, where it is currently 10%, on appraised value increases we will have made some progress.

Not a biggie but if they also manage to pass the proposed limit of 5% per year, where it is currently 10%, on appraised value increases we will have made some progress.

That's the part that I don't care for....means there will be less pressure on the ghetto areas to clean up.

That's the part that I don't care for....means there will be less pressure on the ghetto areas to clean up.

however with more money in their pocket it will allow them TO clean up. the are too many poor people that are just getting by and this increase kills them.

hopefully the legislature will enact the 3% cap proposal. if the city needs more money, all they have to do is raise the tax rate. which of course they don't want the public to know which is our current situation. it's too easy for them to push for keeping the 10%cap. so they are getting 10% more every year by doing nothing. the lower cap will make them accountable for expenditures which is what we dont' have now. to be honest, most people don't care and that is why we are in our current situation.

from 2002-2004 my taxes have gone up over 30% which is ridiculous. I personally have seen no improvement. sidewalks are still broken,etc. i just hope the the cap will force entities to be more accountable.

Currently a house in the city of Houston, in HISD valued at $150k with a homestead exemption has a total annual tax of $3412.01 or $284.33 per month.

With the proposed "relief" (1/2 percent cut on school taxes) the same house, same value, same exemptions would have a total annual tax of $2765.09 or $230.42 per month.

As far as I'm concerned $54 bux a month isn't anything to write home about.

It's a shell game. Many will be blind with giddiness from a property tax cut, and wont notice that long term taxes have been raised. Its easy to forget about a penny here and a penny there, but not a large chunck like property taxes.

Every account I have read, is that we will get property tax relief, but we will get socked in other taxes.

• The title was changed to School Property Tax Relief

Archived