New cooktop, vent question

I am redoing my counters with granite and figured this was a good time to also replace our poorly functioning coil cooktop.

QUESTION...is it necessary, to be in code or whatever, to have some sort of venting on an electric cooktop in Texas? This is going on an island and there is no hood above it. Most of the cooktops I see at Sears/HD/Lowe's, and all the cheaper ones, don't seem to have downflow venting. Our current cooktop has a downflow vent, but it's never worked since we've owned the house and we haven't seen the need for it. Are we going to have a problem with getting it installed or selling our house someday if we just buy a normal cooktop with no downflow vent?

Also, any thoughts on the induction style cooktops? They worth the extra money over standard radiant electric?

Thanks

Well, maybe we don't notice since we usually don't do anything either than boil water or cook ground beef on our range. Ventilation from above isn't feasible since it's on an island and the kitchen ceiling is very high and not setup for it at all. Guess I will look for a cooktop with a downflow vent on it.

• 3 months later...
Well, maybe we don't notice since we usually don't do anything either than boil water or cook ground beef on our range. Ventilation from above isn't feasible since it's on an island and the kitchen ceiling is very high and not setup for it at all. Guess I will look for a cooktop with a downflow vent on it.

although somewhat expensive, we went with a telescoping vent from thermador. The unit raises up with the push of a button, then drops down flush with the cooktop after use. Works significantly better than the downdraft vents built into the cooktops. search for thermador on youtube to see one in action.

You are aware that installing a down draft vent system on an island will require jackhammering out enough concrete so that an 8" vent pipe can be run to the exterior wall. Granted you'll have to run gas or 220V wire to the island. To your original question, I do not believe that there actually is a requirement to have a vent system installed for a cooktop. If you have 12' ceilings, it probably wont bother you that much. But there is no height requirement for the vent. So you could mount it flush to the ceiling and it would still pull the hot air out of the room.

You are aware that installing a down draft vent system on an island will require jackhammering out enough concrete so that an 8" vent pipe can be run to the exterior wall. Granted you'll have to run gas or 220V wire to the island. To your original question, I do not believe that there actually is a requirement to have a vent system installed for a cooktop. If you have 12' ceilings, it probably wont bother you that much. But there is no height requirement for the vent. So you could mount it flush to the ceiling and it would still pull the hot air out of the room.

I had a downdraft already along with the necessary hole in the foundation for it (even though it didn't turn on), it was built with the house.

Anyway, I landed up just getting another downdraft...it severely limited our purchase options, but it was cheap and works well enough.

I had a downdraft already along with the necessary hole in the foundation for it (even though it didn't turn on), it was built with the house.

Anyway, I landed up just getting another downdraft...it severely limited our purchase options, but it was cheap and works well enough.

What cooktop did you purchase to install with the Thermador downdraft? I'm looking to replace a GE Monogram, 5-burner, gas, 36" cooktop with downdraft.

What cooktop did you purchase to install with the Thermador downdraft? I'm looking to replace a GE Monogram, 5-burner, gas, 36" cooktop with downdraft.

I am also interested in the space clearances you needed to install that Thermador downdraft. I currently have a Jenn-Air downdraft (built into the cooktop), that I think is a peice of junk.

I like the quality of Thermador products and they seem to help resale value a lot.

I currently have a Jenn-Air downdraft (built into the cooktop), that I think is a peice of junk.

Most down drafts are junk. When the fan is blowing hot, moist air down into a U shaped vent pipe, condensation will form in the pipe and become trapped. As the condensation builds, the inside of the pipe becomes an unsanitary water trap. I've heard stories of birds and mice that have entered from the outside and died. They are popular and look nice, but I would always avoid them if I could.

I find my Jenn Air very useful for smoking indoors. I blow the smoke at the vent and it whisks it away. However, when used for its intended purpose, sucking away the smoke generated from grilling steaks or burgers, it is so useless that the smoke alarm invariably sets off. I leave the fan running for an hour after grilling to clear the air. Lately, I have taken to opening the back door and positioning a large oscillating fan in the dining room to blow the smoke through the screen door. This at least keeps the smoke alarm quiet.

The Jenn Air downdraft LOOKS good. Too bad it doesn't work worth a damn.

P1210020.jpg

Wow, Red. You have a serious lack of counter on the lip in front of your grill.

Do you like the heat output? My old range sucks, but I finally got one of those cast iron riblet pans, and turn up the heat high enough, I can get a real nice sear on lean meats. Truth is, I want Santa to help me out with a new range. But we are SO not spending $1,300 or more on a gas stove. I cook at least every other day, and need one good high burner.

I'm thinking primarily of constant usage. Our venting is excellent.

What's the best range under a $1,000???

Edited by crunchtastic

Do you like the heat output? My old range sucks, but I finally got one of those cast iron riblet pans, and turn up the heat high enough, I can get a real nice sear on lean meats. Truth is, I want Santa to help me out with a new range. But we are SO not spending $1,300 or more on a gas stove. I cook at least every other day, and need one good high burner.

PS I only smoke outside when SO isn't home.

Huh? :huh:

The heat output is good. In fact, I turn it down to mid-low to cook burgers and steaks, as otherwise it will char the meat. On the right side, I have one monster burner and one small one. BTW, I WISH I had spent $1300 on that unit. For under $1000, GE and Sears are still good.

Most down drafts are junk. When the fan is blowing hot, moist air down into a U shaped vent pipe, condensation will form in the pipe and become trapped. As the condensation builds, the inside of the pipe becomes an unsanitary water trap. I've heard stories of birds and mice that have entered from the outside and died. They are popular and look nice, but I would always avoid them if I could.

My 16 year old GE Monogram cooktop with downdraft have worked very effectively, but it's time to replace them. The island cooktop construction does not allow for an overhead vent. I do wish we would have done that when the house was built though.

I did have a baby bird fly out of a bathroom vent when I was doing my business one time.

PS I only smoke outside when SO isn't home.

Check out Sears online, then go look at them in the basement at the Main St. store. Also, look at the BTU ratings for the burners.

Also, check out the Sears scratch and dent store. I think it's on Griggs.

Edited by rsb320

Maybe she didn't realize that the range is a slide in model, so there is no front lip. But, it does hold beer well. :)

I have looked at the pic again correctly, now I get it. :blush:

Yep, plan on going to the Sears outlet. I'm finding that the middling models around 800-$1,000 offer pretty much what I need, including a high BTU burner. One of those honking 5 burner, dual fuel things would be nice, but I really don't need all that to cook well.

Edited by crunchtastic

I have looked at the pic again correctly, now I get it. :blush:

Yep, plan on going to the Sears outlet. I'm finding that the middling models around 800-$1,000 offer pretty much what I need, including a high BTU burner. One of those honking 5 burner, dual fuel things would be nice, but I really don't need all that to cook well.

My burner side has a 16,000 Btu burner and a smaller simmer burner (6-7000 Btu?). The big burner will burn the house down. Look for something in the 12,000 to 16,000 Btu range for your biggest burners.

• 3 weeks later...
I am also interested in the space clearances you needed to install that Thermador downdraft. I currently have a Jenn-Air downdraft (built into the cooktop), that I think is a peice of junk.

I like the quality of Thermador products and they seem to help resale value a lot.

We replaced the Jennair which had a center grill downdraft with the thermador vent and Caldera cooktop. All they had to do to retrofit was cut about 2"X38" of countertop out.

The cooktop we used is made by Caldera. Although an unknown name, they have quite a following for lots of value for the money.

CIMG1754.jpg