Downtown Photos

telwink

What a great website/chat room and thread. I'm still trying to find my way around here so your indulgence would be appreciated. From what I have seen so far it looks like I have a lot to learn from some fine photographers on this site. I learned my trade as a combat photorapher in the Marine Corps during the Vietnam War during my 1st tour and honed my skills on my next tour before it was cut short.

I'm going to try to upload my 1st photo so we'll see how it goes. This is a stained glass skylight from a loft in downtown Houston.

post-6842-1219947877_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Although, I appreciate all the photographic work on this thread some of the images are so clear and crisp that it makes me want to look in the mirror and ask my eyes why they can't see as clearly or crisply as these photos. :unsure: I can't even figure out how they can be made to be so clear and crisp?! B) Maybe it's me or maybe my glasses are too clean. :ph34r: There I smeared them with a Hersey's chocolate bar and that's better.

CampLogan1917

Although, I appreciate all the photographic work on this thread some of the images are so clear and crisp that it makes me want to look in the mirror and ask my eyes why they can't see as clearly or crisply as these photos. :unsure: I can't even figure out how they can be made to be so clear and crisp?! B) Maybe it's me or maybe my glasses are too clean. :ph34r: There I smeared them with a Hersey's chocolate bar and that's better.

CampLogan1917

Thanks for the input CampLogan1917! I know this style of photography isn't for everybody, but its something I enjoy. I see Houston as an amazing city, and turning my photos of it into more "digital art" as opposed to photography has been a hobby of mine. That's sort of how I see it. I have lots of photos I haven't done up like these, and I like those a lot too, but I wanted to share my hobby with the HAIFers out here because I figured it was unique to other photos posted, in my own way. I appreciate your checking my stuff out tho!

I am amazed at the pictures. I have been an amateur photographer all my life and these are just stunning. I have to say well done, you have a new fan.

Thank you very much fop98. That means a lot to me! I'm am amateur photographer, and other amateur photography blows me away on a daily basis in the HAIF and Flickr community. Seeing other folks' work is half the fun for me, because a lot of Houston photographers are unbelievably talented.

Thanks for the input CampLogan1917! I know this style of photography isn't for everybody, but its something I enjoy. I see Houston as an amazing city, and turning my photos of it into more "digital art" as opposed to photography has been a hobby of mine. That's sort of how I see it. I have lots of photos I haven't done up like these, and I like those a lot too, but I wanted to share my hobby with the HAIFers out here because I figured it was unique to other photos posted, in my own way. I appreciate your checking my stuff out tho!

I'm not sure I have figured out how to do this "quote" business but I'll give it a try.

So, if I read you correctly Bengiann your images are not photos. Is that right? If I have that right and they are not photos then what are they? You have really peeked my interest. Is it some kind of process or artistic rendition?

Oh and by the way Bengiann I want it to be clear that I love your work! My questions have nothing to do with me criticizing your work at all! I just can't figure it out and I'm somebdy that's always asking questions so that I can understand. I just wanted that to be clear on my questions and comments. :D

CampLogan1917 :blink:

I'm not sure I have figured out how to do this "quote" business but I'll give it a try.

So, if I read you correctly Bengiann your images are not photos. Is that right? If I have that right and they are not photos then what are they? You have really peeked my interest. Is it some kind of process or artistic rendition?

Oh and by the way Bengiann I want it to be clear that I love your work! My questions have nothing to do with me criticizing your work at all! I just can't figure it out and I'm somebdy that's always asking questions so that I can understand. I just wanted that to be clear on my questions and comments. :D

CampLogan1917 :blink:

Hey CampLogan1917, you misread or I miscommunicated. They are photos. They were taken with a Canon DSLR. All of these have been run through a variety of Photoshop techniques to adjust brightness, contrast, color saturation, dynamic range, and other variables. The end product is still a "photo," but its certainly not what photographers call "straight out of the camera." In that sense, I consider these <photos> to be digital art, the subject of which is one of the greatest cities in the United States. I appreciate your compliment about my work! Let me know if you have any other questions about how this kind of photography is produced, and I'd be more than happy to answer.

Thanks again for the input! I don't see it as critical at all. In fact, I've had some folks tell me these are straight up fake, uninteresting, and over-done. That's one of the things I love about art. You get all kinds of reactions. I didn't see your comment as this what-so-ever, but rather I saw your comments as favorable towards my work, and curious as to how the heck a digital photo could go from what the camera snaps, to what I posted in this thread. So yah, thanks again man! Lemme know if you have any other q's.

Ben

• 2 months later...
Yes, they're quite remarkable!

Here are a few more.

My Sloane-inspired Main St. Photo:

2696318194_fae73fb95c_b.jpg

Hogan-Allnoch Dry Goods:

2702164264_2a1899a14e_b.jpg

Hotel ZaZa:

2704516092_61909d3321_o.jpg

North Downtown Panoramic:

2709302724_5da02af85f_b.jpg

Lee & Joe Jamil Skate Park:

2705820132_316d14eb7e_b.jpg

Very cool shots!

Definitely looks like HDR imaging was used on your pics. Really cool.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
The photos do look almost 'cartoon' like, but amzing at the same time. Do you mind me asking the camera/settings you are using? I don't want you to give up any secrets, but the way these look are incredible. Almost like a painting.

Well done ;)

Hey Archie_tech, sorry for the late reply. My camera is a Canon digital SLR (40d), and most of these were taken with a 10-22mm Canon ultra wide angle lens. As far as the 'cartoon' look is concerned, most of these shots are HDR. If you're not familiar with HDR, its basically a set of bracketed digital exposures, usually a minimum of 3 shots, taken at dark, medium, and light exposure levels in order to blend them together and retrieve the best colors for each portion of the photo. So for example, the best shadow colors will come from the brightest exposure, and the best sky colors will come from the darkest exposure, logically.

Forgive me if you're already familiar with HDR and I just ranted about something you already know. Anyhow, some of those are actually artificially produced HDR images, so I have one really sharp original exposure, and I'll use Photoshop to save it 5 times with the exposure values changed to -2, -1, 0, +1, and +2 stops. I'll then use Photomatix (HDR software) to blend those 5 photos together for a beautiful dynamic range of light, but naturally the photo is pretty sharp since there was no movement at all between the 5 shots. They're the same photo!

I hope that makes some sense. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions. Obviously my shots are not 'straight out of the camera,' because I enjoy putting a little bit of sharpness/pop in my photos. That's always been a lot of fun for me.

Hope this was of some help!

Archived