Ryugyong Hotel in North Korea

There is sits quietly like an unwanted stepchild. You may have seen in recent news.

Started as far back as 1987 and still not complete or will it ever? Kind of like an unfinished bad work of art. The links tell it all. Maybe the worse ever made they say? -_-:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryugyong_Hotel

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/DESIGN/wor...tel-ever-012808

ryugyong-hotel-lg.jpg

I say place a roller coaster on top. Imagine the rush coming down? Maybe all it needs is some TLC. Paint eggshell, or semi gloss white and add a few palms around.

As the articles state, it seems to be more of a political eyesore than just what we see on the surface. It really does look like that amusement attraction at Disney, The Tower of Terror with the huge cracks on the sides with moss covering it and a bolt of lightning striking it.

This excerpt cracks me up: The story of the hotel, adapted from elements of the television series, includes the hotel being struck by lightning on Oct 31, 1939 mysteriously transporting an elevator car full of passengers to the Twilight Zone. The exterior of the attraction resembles an old hotel with a blackened scorch mark across the front of the facade where the lightning destroyed part of the building.

pic3_trivia.jpg

I've heard that the problems with the hotel run very deep -- elevator wells that don't line up properly, crumbling concrete, etc... Some of the photographs I've seen show trees growing out of the walls. It's been exposed to the weather for a couple of decades without any windows or maintenance. That has to take its toll.

There's an article about it on HAIF's sister site: http://www.glasssteelandstone.com/BuildingDetail/3192.php

There are rumors coming out of North Korea that construction has re-started, but nothing has been confirmed with photographic evidence.

I think that this is hysterical. They build this to show everyone how superior they are then they can't get it finished. :D

It's just so appropriate.

Does it have windows? At first glance, I think it looks awesome, the shape does at least. A different facade could have been considered but IMO it looks like a Vegas type building.

No windows. Construction never got that far along.

Wow. No windows??? The elements have probably ruined the interior of the building by now, then. Shame.

Very true and imagine how many thousands of birds have made it a bird hotel? Maybe the guys that designed it are flipping hamburgers or sacking groceries?

There must be a hidden message here somewhere. :angry2:

Very true and imagine how many thousands of birds have made it a bird hotel? Maybe the guys that designed it are flipping hamburgers or sacking groceries?

There must be a hidden message here somewhere. :angry2:

They've probably starved to death or are working in forced labor camps like thousands of other North Koreans in recent years.

They've probably starved to death or are working in forced labor camps like thousands of other North Koreans in recent years.

and this may be a silly question but isn't that another country that despises the US? They supposedly hate anything related to the US according to that really good program Diane Sawyer did on location a few months ago. New topic.

and this may be a silly question but isn't that another country that despises the US? They supposedly hate anything related to the US according to that really good program Diane Sawyer did on location a few months ago. New topic.

I'd say of all the countries in the world North Korea probably hates America the most. More than Iran easily.

We've made nice with Vietnam and even Libya. But North Korea remains a hardcore xenophobe society. Even the Russians have a hard time getting through to them. The Chinese have even told NK to take a chill pill and been ignored.

Dear Leader is paranoid of assassination and only travels in his own private train. Even on a state visit to Beijing they had to build new rails to get him there.

Freak show.

I just realized something...

Houston was the 3rd city on earth, to have a *Skyscraper reach over 1,000 feet.

1. New York City - Chrysler Building - 1930 - 1,046ft.

2. Chicago - John Hancock Center - 1969 - 1,127ft.

3. Houston - JP Morgan Chase Tower - 1982 - 1,002ft.

4. Los Angeles - US Bank Tower - 1989 - 1,018ft.

5. Hong Kong - Bank of China Tower - 1990 - 1,205ft.

6. Atlanta - Bank of America Plaza - 1,023ft. - 1992

7. Pyongyang - Ryugyong Hotel - 1,083ft. - 1992

8. Shenzhen - Shun Hing Square - 1,260ft. - 1996

9. Guangzhou - CITIC Plaza - 1,283ft. - 1997

10. Koahsiung - Tuntex Sky Tower - 1,140ft. - 1997

just a little FUN fact! :)

Just another fun fact, Ryugyong Hotel sat idle for 16 years until this past April.

North Korea resumed construction on this hotel.

250px-Dprk_pyongyang_hotel_rugen_05_s.jpg

• 4 years later...

Archived