iPhone 3G/2.0 upgrade

Now those iPhones will be going cheap on eBay.

I just sold my old 8 GB iPhone on eBay for $400. You can get good money for your old iPhone if you want to upgrade, but I am guessing you should act fast before the market gets saturated with old phones. I upgraded to the 3g basically free. The $10 per month extra sucks though, but overall its worth it I think.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if it has to do with the Sprint-Nextel merger. The big challenge there was moving all the Nextel folk off of their old phones an onto Sprint's frequencies. Maybe there's just too many people for the infrastructure now.

Quite possibly. I just hope AT&T is better. Now if they would ever just ship my iPhone 3G...

I just sold my old 8 GB iPhone on eBay for $400. You can get good money for your old iPhone if you want to upgrade, but I am guessing you should act fast before the market gets saturated with old phones. I upgraded to the 3g basically free. The $10 per month extra sucks though, but overall its worth it I think.

You have your 3G already? Lucky! I'm still waiting on AT$T direct fulfillment. I just didn't have the stomach for waiting in line at the Apple store.

I wonder if the iPod Touch will fetch good money too now that the 2.0 upgrade enables much of the iPhone's functionality. I don't see much reason for keeping it once I have an iPhone, other than additional capacity.

The solution was to change "push" to "fetch" and set it for 30 minutes. She only needs her stuff synced once a day, so even 30 minutes is more than enough, but it helped her battery life a lot. She used to come home in red (~10% left), now she comes home with about 80% of the charge remaining.

If you can stand the updates not being absolutely immediate, try switching your phone from push to fetch and play with the settings (15 min, 30 min, 1 hour) to see what a good balance is for you.

[Edit]

Sorry... I just re-read your message and noticed that you have a Touch, so cell reception isn't your issue. But maybe changing those push settings might help anyway.

Good advice nonetheless. I've had similar experiences with bad reception areas on Sprint. I may buy something like this just to serve as backup if I run out of juice away from a power source.

http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/07/08/31/aaa.battery.charger/

Editor, you may want to rethink going to T-Mobile due to their wireless data speed. They only have 2.5G Edge data speeds in Houston. Maybe they will upgrade by the time you change, but I believe only New York City has 3G wireless under the T-Mobile network right now.
Yeah, I know about T-Mobile only having Edge, but that's OK. I have the old iPhone, so I can't do 3G, either. Part of the reason I stayed with T-mo for so long is that it kept promising 3G. Then when it finally arrived (so far only in Seattle and New York I think) it's on non-standard bands so my 3G phone won't work with it. That made jumping to AT&T for the iPhone a much easier decision.

3G is up and running for T-Mobile in New York since early May. I haven't seen anything about it being up in Seattle yet, but they've been doing a very quiet roll out of the network, so it's possible parts of it are up and T-Mobile hasn't officially said anything.

They have promised 3G to the top 20 markets, including Houston, by the end of 2008. There are a lot of rumors that most of that will happen before October 1.

And yes, it's 3G on different bands from what AT&T is using. That's mainly because the 1700 Mhz and 2100 Mhz bands T-Mobile is using were the only ones they could get from the FCC. The long delay is also due to the government not vacating those frequencies as quickly as they were supposed to.

Good advice nonetheless. I've had similar experiences with bad reception areas on Sprint. I may buy something like this just to serve as backup if I run out of juice away from a power source.

http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/07/08/31/aaa.battery.charger/

I have something like that. I bought it for $15 at Best Buy and then loaded up a Zip-loc bag with 30 AAA batteries for a 27 hour trip (ORD-NRT + layover + NRT-SIN). It absolutely rocked. My wife used it to watch videos on her 5G iPod, and I used it charge my nano when it went flat.

I tried it in the iPhone and it doesn't work. An alert box pops up on the iPhone saying it's not compatible. Too bad. I'm keeping my eye out for an iPhone-compatible version in the same price range.

I just looked at the AT&T site and noticed that the black 16GB iPhone 3G I ordered via direct fulfillment has shipped. Six business days isn't bad considering the demand and hype. And, no waiting in line :P

I was surprised to see an iPhone line around the block at the Apple Store yesterday. I guess it's a daily thing where people line up, get that day's shipment, and then the line forms again the next day. I saw one analyst predict it would be that way through August.

I guess that's just another reason I'll wait for the PRODUCT(RED) iPhone.

• 2 weeks later...
I just ran across this in the App Store:

mzl.luyxszru.100x100-75.jpg

It's specific to Houston. No, I'm not involved with it in any way. In fact, I'm a little insulted I wasn't told about it ahead of time.

Nice find.

My future inlaws upgraded to 3g and gave my fiancee and I their old phones yesterday.... I'll be joining all the cool people within hours... and there's several apps I cant wait to get my hands on.

Have you downloaded this yet? Buggy or works well if you have ?

Nice find.

My future inlaws upgraded to 3g and gave my fiancee and I their old phones yesterday.... I'll be joining all the cool people within hours... and there's several apps I cant wait to get my hands on.

Have you downloaded this yet? Buggy or works well if you have ?

Works surprisingly well. No bugs yet. No crashes. Occasionally there's a Camera Not Available message, but on the whole it's pretty smooth.

You can bookmark the cameras you pass on the way to/from work.

I'd say the only thing it really lacks is a map. Maybe in the next version.

Interesting that it's only available from Tribune's Houston and Indianapolis stations. Not New York or LA or Chicago or even Dallas.

ugh.. should have realized.. it has the same limitation as the real transtar site.. duh... only 1 camera direction at any given location.

Its pretty neat... though i wish there was a pro option.. I'd pay a few bucks up front to not have to have the 2 seconds of ads before each camera shot.

2 annoying iphone issues i've found in the past few hours of playing around with it - No direct google calendar access and sync... and no turning off the camera click.

Least not without jailbreaking it..... other than that... Free iphones kick butt. i highly recommend that route for anyone.

ugh.. should have realized.. it has the same limitation as the real transtar site.. duh... only 1 camera direction at any given location.

Its pretty neat... though i wish there was a pro option.. I'd pay a few bucks up front to not have to have the 2 seconds of ads before each camera shot.

Probably because those ARE the Transtar cameras.

2 annoying iphone issues i've found in the past few hours of playing around with it - No direct google calendar access and sync... and no turning off the camera click.

I don't use Google calendar, so I can't help you there, but you can turn off the camera click by flicking on the mute button. I find the camera noise annoying, too, and use the mute button when I'm taking pictures in quiet public places.

Probably because those ARE the Transtar cameras.

I know.. but I hadn't visited the Transtar site/cameras in quite awhile and was remembering seeing two stills for each camera (for orientation) and briefly under the delusion that for any given location you would be able to select 1 of 2 views.

Figured out the camera mute trick. Thanks.

Archived