stucco problem crumbling off home.....Need advice

I have come across urban loft's new development with stucco and metal located on the east side off jenson. I noticed that the paint is peeling off the stucco and part of the stucco is literally coming off the exterior. This is a brand new development and it is already appears compromised.

This is especially apparent on the corners and the bottom of the stucco right above the slab. Can anyone advise on stucco. I realize that this is a new style and departure to Urban loft's total metal homes.

I have come across urban loft's new development with stucco and metal located on the east side off jenson. I noticed that the paint is peeling off the stucco and part of the stucco is literally coming off the exterior. This is a brand new development and it is already appears compromised.

This is especially apparent on the corners and the bottom of the stucco right above the slab. Can anyone advise on stucco. I realize that this is a new style and departure to Urban loft's total metal homes.

It's it likely the cheap fake stucco, like the style used in shopping center updates, rather than real cement/mortar based stucco. If the stucco is light and has more of a styrofoam texture too it, that's it was you can expect. Sucks they did that.

But if it is real stucco, it will crack as the house settles, as mine did. If they are hairline cracks, you can't stop it with Houston's soft ground. Expansion joints are supposed to prevent this, but sometimes cracks will still occur.

It is going to have to be redone, correctly. I would wait until it gets bad, then redo it.

It's coming off near the bottom, near the slab, because when it rains water drains down the side of your house and then "cups" underneath the siding/interface at that point. Wood siding on a house, that is installed vertically, especially, rots because of this too.

stay clear. if the material is not applied properly, it will be compromised within a few yrs. Many times the damage is hidden behind the wall as well. Things like mold, rot occur and the owner doesn't even know it.

buying stucco of any type in Houston (or anywhere east of I-35) is just asking to buy a home you will need to burn up in a few years just to get out of it and don't forget the hazmat permit when you light it up because of all the mold

I would put masonite on in Houston over stucco because at least with masonite you know you bought cheap crap and it will practically disintegrate when you tear it off in 3 years VS stucco that will actually take some effort to rip off

hell I would side with untreated, unpainted, white pine in Houston before stucco......because stucco in Houston is a joke and at least with the white pine you could see the rot as it starts in a few weeks

buying stucco of any type in Houston (or anywhere east of I-35) is just asking to buy a home you will need to burn up in a few years just to get out of it and don't forget the hazmat permit when you light it up because of all the mold

I would put masonite on in Houston over stucco because at least with masonite you know you bought cheap crap and it will practically disintegrate when you tear it off in 3 years VS stucco that will actually take some effort to rip off

hell I would side with untreated, unpainted, white pine in Houston before stucco......because stucco in Houston is a joke and at least with the white pine you could see the rot as it starts in a few weeks

My thoughts exactly.

So, why, may I ask, do people keep building with stucco in Houston? More importantly, why do people keep buying stucco houses? Are they just taken in with the way they "look" (I don't personally care for the way stucco looks, but that's neither here nor there) and completely ignore the fact that Houston humidity + soil + stucco = EPIC FAIL? :wacko:

I disagree with all of you. Stucco does not mold, rot, or crumble by itself. The only way it would crumble, is if there was some sort of impact - usually by a grading tractor or trencher. It just needs to be repaired. Also stucco should not be installed unless the home has been "weighted down". Sheetrock needs to be stocked on the inside and the roof needs to be 80% installed. This will prevent most of the settling. You may see the occaisonal settling crack over time, but it is not common to see many.

Stucco is not cheap. Do you ever notice how the townhome builders will stucco the front of a house and apply siding to the sides and back? This is to save money. Stucco runs about $5/ wall foot, and in most cases it is the most expensive wall covering. Brick can be more expensive.

Personally I prefer masonry walls, I don't like how stucco stains so easily and requires yearly maintenance with a full powerwashing to stay clean.

If the stucco is crumbling by itself, then it was not installed properly, and you should be seriously concerned.

A little O/T, but there is a house near my parents (a stucco McSpec home) that would normally blend in with the rest, but it has a large amount of green mildew staining the front of the normally beige exterior.

I would assume pressure-washing would be the answer for these folks (who apparently don't care since it has been this way for quite a while), but if it was built as poorly/cheaply as I suspect, wouldn't that blast off the stucco? Would they have to hand scrub? (as if! :D )

A little O/T, but there is a house near my parents (a stucco McSpec home) that would normally blend in with the rest, but it has a large amount of green mildew staining the front of the normally beige exterior.

I would assume pressure-washing would be the answer for these folks (who apparently don't care since it has been this way for quite a while), but if it was built as poorly/cheaply as I suspect, wouldn't that blast off the stucco? Would they have to hand scrub? (as if! :D )

probably best for them to get one of those cheap liquid fertilizer sprayers that goes on a hose and fill it with bleach....or a backpack sprayer with a heavy concentration of bleach and spray it and then hose it off....then paint with a paint with some copper or other mold preventer in it

My parents have a stucco home and have never had any problems. They had the stucco applied about 15 years ago. They actually had a crew from Mexico come to Houston and do the stucco job. My parents did not want your basic stucco, they were looking for something more authentic. The only real upkeep is power washing once a year.

My parents have a stucco home and have never had any problems. They had the stucco applied about 15 years ago. They actually had a crew from Mexico come to Houston and do the stucco job. My parents did not want your basic stucco, they were looking for something more authentic. The only real upkeep is power washing once a year.

you mean there are people that do stucco that are not from Mexico :huh::o:lol::P:DB)

you mean there are people that do stucco that are not from Mexico :huh::o:lol::P:DB)

I saw the home go up and it appeared to be real stucco....but then again, maybe I don't know the difference. They put a mesh like material on the exterior and then started spreading the stucco.

Also, is there a special paint to use on stucco? This has been painted now for about two months and it is already peeling off the stucco.

I got a feeling that it may be a poor job and abandon the idea of buying it.

I saw the home go up and it appeared to be real stucco....but then again, maybe I don't know the difference. They put a mesh like material on the exterior and then started spreading the stucco.

Also, is there a special paint to use on stucco? This has been painted now for about two months and it is already peeling off the stucco.

I got a feeling that it may be a poor job and abandon the idea of buying it.

I don't know if there is a particular paint you need or not. They have never re-painted and it still looks good.

If you go and knock on the newer homes/buildings/apartments with the faux stucco, it sounds a little hollow.

It's the primer coat. The cost of paint is going up with the price of oil, and many of the low ball painters are skimping on the primer coat. Exterior latex paint will not stick to the concrete undercoat without a solid primer coat.

It may be just a few areas that didn't get good coverage, power wash these off. Then reprime and repaint. But if the painter skipped the primer all together, the entire paint job will need to be removed and restarted.

They also make another finish coat that has the sand and the color mixed in together. They have to trowel this on. Unless you've paid for this upgrade, it is most likely you did not recieve it. It does not peel off.

Archived