Anyone buy a Honda Accord 08'?

sifuwong

Hopefully Honda has the bugs worked out by now. I had a 2000 Accord Coupe V-6. Piece of junk. When you get recall notices in the mail about your transmission, airbags, etc... You've got a lemon. Got rid of it. Bought a 20 year old Toyota, made in Japan, off of e-bay.

EDIT: Probably the biggest problem that I had was with the airbags. The airbag light was on... and of course it was out of warranty. I got a letter from Honda that talked about the problem. I took it to the dealer and they basically said the light could be on for one of two reasons. If it was the reason cited in the recall letter - it was a free repair. If it was for the other reason... get ready to pay several hundred dollars. Luckily, it was for the recall reason. The light went out, and was finally able to get the car inspected.

The 6-changer CD player/radio went out. Would have cost arm and a leg at Honda. Had to buy another unit from e-bay.

Then the check engine/emission control light came on, stayed on. Can't get the car to pass inspection AGAIN. I got a letter in the mail from Honda. Talked about the problem. They said they would fix the problem, if you car had less than 80K miles on it. Mine had 86K. So I had to pay. They had to drill out a port on the intake manifold or something like that.

The following year, got the notice about the transmission. That's when I dumped it. It only had 112K miles on it when I sold it. I thought "Japanese" cars were better than that (turns out this one was built in Ohio.)

Edited by BryanS

My dad bought an 08 Accord EXL-V6 earlier this year as a retirement downsize from his corporate-lease Range Rover. I think that he has about 5k miles on the Accord now, and he absolutely loves it (which is saying a lot compared to what he was driving). I have driven it a couple of times, and while I don't care for the exterior design, the interior is very well done. It is powerful, but only requires regular unleaded.

As for reliability, time will tell, but statistically-speaking, you should be in good shape. I have owned a 99 Accord V6, an 02 TL-S, and an 04 Accord V6. With the exception of the TL (serious transmission problems), all were trouble-free.

I own a 2006 Accord EX V6 and it's been completely trouble-free. The only thing I've ever had to do to it is change the oil, rotate the tires, and replace one tire that was punctured by a piece of rebar sticking up out of one of Houston's streets. I've heard some stories about the automatic transmission going out in that generation of Accord (and Acura TL) but so far no issues with mine. I've also heard that ignoring Honda's recommendation on changing transmission fluid, and having it done about twice as often as recommended seems to be very effective at preventing the common issues with the transmission.

Sorry to hear about the issues with your Accord, BryanS. My experience has been nothing but great with this car.

Sorry to hear about the issues with your Accord, BryanS. My experience has been nothing but great with this car.

You had the "second generation" of my car. The car I had, I believe ran from 1998 to 2002. 2003 to 07, I think was the third generation. The 08 model, I think is all new again. As I said, hopefully the bugs are worked out by now.

All those things started happening on my car after about 75K... Just awful. I really felt good when I purchased the car because I was getting a "Japanese car, made in America." Best of both worlds, I thought.

Another friend of mine has a 2000 or 2001 4-door sedan. His odometer went out. And actually, mine did too, except I didn't replace mine. Just had to kinda guess when it was time to change the oil. You had to tap it, really hard, to get it to flash the mileage. His A/C servo/mixer in the interior of his car is also making a disturbing noise.

Seems there were a number of electronic problems in these cars (1998-2002)...

What are your experiences with the car? Personal review? Did you get a great deal? Thank you.

We bought an '08 Accord EXL-NAV 4cyl. in February and feel like we got a great deal at Kingwood Sterling McCall. My husband called every Honda place in Houston and beyond looking for a certain price on it and Kingwood (Larry Caldwell, iirc) was the only one willing to work with him at the time. We got such a great deal, we walked away with the Accord for him and an '08 Odyssey for me :D .

About the Accord via dh: fantastic car, good fuel economy, high build quality, good stereo, but it's a bit stiff and the seats are kind of hard. If you want a softer car, then this probably isn't for you. Dh says that he loves it, but others may not. He also says not to spend money on the V6 because the 4-cyl is peppy enough. (he's got just over 8K miles on it now; commutes)

I think it looks Hot B) . One of my neighbors liked ours so much they went and bought the V6 in white. She commutes even further than dh and she loves the car...

Edited by Native1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really don't like the looks of the 2008 Accord. The Accord has grown into a full-size from a mid-size, and it looks a tad bloated. Accords used to have very clean and restrained styling, but they seem to have become very busy with every current car styling cliche ladled on - chrome, character lines, etc. It just looks a bit overwrought imo. Just my take anyway.

Agreed Subdude. I'm not a fan of the looks of the new Accord. I think the previous generation not only looked better on the exterior, but had a nicer dashboard layout as well. I'm not sure what Honda was thinking when they redesigned the Accord.

Even worse is the new Acura TL. It's downright ugly.