Good source for unfinished cabinets

Does anyone know of a good source for unfinished cabinets? We are planning a kitchen remodel and are of course on a budget. Since we need a lot of cabinets, and want to paint them ourselves, we thought this might be a better option than a custom product.

Thanks!

Does anyone know of a good source for unfinished cabinets? We are planning a kitchen remodel and are of course on a budget. Since we need a lot of cabinets, and want to paint them ourselves, we thought this might be a better option than a custom product.

Thanks!

If you do go the custom route, try Daniel Rosales, 713/208-3983. Almost too much of a perfectionist but reasonable and does good work.

Thanks!

Are pre-finished cabinets really that much more expensive?

Of all the home painting projects, cabinets may be the hardest to do well. Prep work involves caulking all of the joints, inside and out. Look at your cabinets and try to guess how many that is. You will also need to put wood putty in all of the nail holes where the cabinets were attached to the wall. These must be sanded when dry. Next, you will need to put on a primer coat, preferably of oil based primer, as cabinet get beat up a lot by pots and pans. Finally, you'll paint with oil based paint. To get the best looking coat, you'll want to apply it with a sprayer as opposed to a brush, so it does not show brush marks.

Overall, while cabinet painting quotes are expensive, I have always found them to be worth it in the end. If you really must save somewhere, I would install them myself, rather than paint them myself.

Overall, while cabinet painting quotes are expensive, I have always found them to be worth it in the end. If you really must save somewhere, I would install them myself, rather than paint them myself.

This is great advice.

flipper

Ikea is the way to go. We installed a 10x10 kitchen and it was around 2600.00 for cabinets. The generic birch ones at the home store look good also. Stain them with a amber stain and it brings out the grain. They are like 30$ each.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I have painted cabinets before (pretty much just as Red described), and they turned out well.

We have thought about Ikea cabinets, but I'm not sure they would really go in a 30's home, and I'm afraid that people would see them and think "cheap," which is a shame because they have a ton of options, both inside the cabinet and out. But perhaps in my house's price range, they would be totally acceptable. I do like their butcher block countertops (OMG, anything but granite).

They Ikea product is almost exactly the same as Kraftmaids stuff. Ikea uses Blum hardware which is top notch. After looking at construction, as much as I want to knock it, the ikea product is nice.

One way we were thinking of saving money on cabinets was to buy the Ikea boxes, make small face frames for them (to make them more period than frameless) and then order unfinished doors from Scherrs. It was a little expensive to order the doors and boxes from them, but the shipping on the doors alone plus the price was very reasonable.

We thought the Ikea doors and finishes didn't go well with historic homes. We were going to do our own side panels and then use milk paint on the unfinished wood and coat with poly. Much more forgiving than trying to paint with regular paint. We haven't gotten to that project yet.

Scherrs is totally custom so you can order any size door or drawer and they can do it for the same price as off the shelf companies.

http://www.scherrs.com/

Archived