U.S. Airways

wxman

Man, I couldn't agree more about US Airways. Question though--I flew to Hawaii on US Airways (way cheaper than Continental and I'm a college student so I buy cheap). I've got 8 or 10 thousand airmiles with them. Will those be good on Continental now? If not, what do I do with them? I plan on never flying them again.

Man, I couldn't agree more about US Airways. Question though--I flew to Hawaii on US Airways (way cheaper than Continental and I'm a college student so I buy cheap). I've got 8 or 10 thousand airmiles with them. Will those be good on Continental now? If not, what do I do with them? I plan on never flying them again.

Wxman: Yep, they will be good.

Wxman: Yep, they will be good.

That's assuming that US Airways is still a member of Star Alliance (and still in business for that matter) when Continental fully completes the transition to Star, which is still over a year away. A lot could change between now and then.

And, you won't be able to take a few miles from US Airways and combine them with a few Continental miles for an award. Award tickets in all of these alliances almost always have to be issued out of a single frequent flier account. So, you'd have to have all of the miles needed for the award desired in a single account. 8,000- 10,000 miles won't really get anything other than an upgrade or two to domestic first class on a full-fare unrestricted (what the industry calls "full Y") domestic economy class ticket. But theoretically you could add to that balance between now and then by crediting any flights flown on US Airways, United, or any other Star Alliance airlines to that account until you get enough miles for the award you'd like to redeem. Also, signing up for a credit card that earns US Airways miles is a pretty easy way to earn a lot of miles quickly, as most of the mileage-earning credit cards run specials for new customers that award anywhere from 10,000-25,000 miles after the first purchase.

I've split this into its own topic since the other one was getting off topic (mostly my fault -- sorry!)

---------

If you don't want to have another credit card, see if you can link your current check card to your frequent flyer account. I was able to do that with American and Citibank and the miles pile up quickly without changing my spending habits.

And if I buy something that gets me miles through another route, it ends up doubling the miles.

Bank of America does offer a US Airways mileage earning debit card.

I got rid of BOA two years ago and I will NEVER bank with them again. I'm thinking about getting a card with Continental miles...Citibank is it?

I got rid of BOA two years ago and I will NEVER bank with them again. I'm thinking about getting a card with Continental miles...Citibank is it?

Continental miles can be earned with a Chase issued MasterCard. I don't bank with them but still have the credit card.

• The title was changed to U.S. Airways

Archived