Braeburn Glen Mod

rps324

Does someone actually live in that house? That is just totally disgusting.

Would need a ton of work and in a bad part of town.

Wuss! :lol: I have seen far worse as far as condition. Besides, if you have $75,000 to spend, you're not living in River Oaks. Someone with vision could really do a lot with this one.

Karen Moyers-Stodelle of The Mod Pod bought the green chairs. She may still have them for sale if you're interested...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/h...en/5025437.html

For those who don't know, the house was cleaned up BEFORE we gained posession of the house, but it took a lot of work from the family of the former owner.

However, it did look like that when we first saw it (the day after Valentine's Day 2005), and we just had to use our jedi-like powers to see past all of Janis' interesting stuff.

I'm finally starting a flickr account and these are the 2 photos I'll start with.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27703414@N04/

And by the way, I think this is house is really amazing. It has 2 and a half strikes against it with its location, need of care and the fact that even at $75K it seems overpriced. If one could get it for $50K that would make it a lot more possible for a real restoration. The highest priced house for sale in the neighborhood looks to be about $125K, so $50K is not a lot to work with.

Jason

Edited by Willowisp

My curiosity got the best of me and I was able to preview this home today. It's truly a sight to behold. I wish I had my camera to snaps some better pics but the reality is that even though the house is "untouched" it's likely too far gone to bring it back. The amount of money needed to repair the home would be over-improving for the neighborhood. The optimum situation would be a buyer who had the tools and knowledge, plus time to make the repairs themselves.

The highlights were:

Double front doors, loads of storage closets in the hallway, a neat planter between the den and living room, a large deep lot, lots of natural light. Good square footage with decent sized secondary bedrooms. Plus it's not on a busy street and it's not backing anything.

The downside:

The detached garage is long gone, cracks in both interior and exterior brick, the roof is long past it's useful life, and the wood floors and subfloors are in worse condition than many homes much older than this one. I'm not really sure about the kitchen as you can barely even see with so much stuff in the way. Clearly it would show much better emptied out.

Financing is not an option. It would take a cash buyer with lots and lots of vision. But you couldn't find such a dramatic odd-to-mod makeover candidate anywhere in Houston?

The electricity is on but I suggest you take a flashlight if you want a really good look at what is still intact.

Thanks a lot for this report!

I can confirm that Karen does indeed still have one of the "Hoover chairs". I saw it today.

Jason

My curiosity got the best of me and I was able to preview this home today. It's truly a sight to behold. I wish I had my camera to snaps some better pics but the reality is that even though the house is "untouched" it's likely too far gone to bring it back. The amount of money needed to repair the home would be over-improving for the neighborhood. The optimum situation would be a buyer who had the tools and knowledge, plus time to make the repairs themselves.

The highlights were:

Double front doors, loads of storage closets in the hallway, a neat planter between the den and living room, a large deep lot, lots of natural light. Good square footage with decent sized secondary bedrooms. Plus it's not on a busy street and it's not backing anything.

The downside:

The detached garage is long gone, cracks in both interior and exterior brick, the roof is long past it's useful life, and the wood floors and subfloors are in worse condition than many homes much older than this one. I'm not really sure about the kitchen as you can barely even see with so much stuff in the way. Clearly it would show much better emptied out.

Financing is not an option. It would take a cash buyer with lots and lots of vision. But you couldn't find such a dramatic odd-to-mod makeover candidate anywhere in Houston?

The electricity is on but I suggest you take a flashlight if you want a really good look at what is still intact.