Countdown to Firefox 3

I downloaded it the other day and so far am liking some of the new features. The integrated spell checking that checks as you type is a nice touch. And I've done some side-by-side comparisons to IE 7 and Firefox 3 is much faster at loading web pages for many of the sites I frequent. I am surprised at how much it looks like IE 7. I expected the look and feel of the browser to be a little more exciting.

I really like the look on the Mac side and on my Macbook it runs really well (not freakishly slow like the old version).

But on the PC side, the design is still butt ugly.

I'm not able to copy (Double Infinity-C) a URL from the Firefox 3 URL bar. Nor am I able to drag a URL to the desktop to create a shortcut. Is there another way to accomplish these things?

Dunno. Ctrl + C works just fine for me, but I'm using Windows, not a Mac.

I did discover one cool thing this morning, while running two instances of Firefox on the same computer but displaying on different monitors. I tried dragging a tab for a web page from one Firefox window to the other and it let me do it. That feature might have been there all along and I've just never tried it, since I just got a second monitor in my home office.

I'm not able to copy (Double Infinity-C) a URL from the Firefox 3 URL bar. Nor am I able to drag a URL to the desktop to create a shortcut. Is there another way to accomplish these things?

Hey! I hadn't noticed that until you brought it up. Wonder if it is in their schedule of fixes.

I used it last night on eBay. It works much better with eBay's flaky coding than Safari.

Some of eBay's snazzy AJAXified Web 2.0 doodad add-ons stop responding in Safari. In Firefox they're slow, but they get the job done eventually.

I really like Firefox. Though I am not so much a fan of Safari.

To me its sort of a tie between Internet Explorer and Firefox, and then Safari.

Yeah, I know a lot of people that fault FF's ability to be customized (one of the things I really like about it) and how that slows it down. Personally, I like my weather bug, my e-mail this icon, etc., and my keywords. Safari is nice, but it is very stripped down and (font) looks terrible on my PC.

Yeah, I know a lot of people that fault FF's ability to be customized (one of the things I really like about it) and how that slows it down. Personally, I like my weather bug, my e-mail this icon, etc., and my keywords. Safari is nice, but it is very stripped down and (font) looks terrible on my PC.

FWIW, Safari has the e-mail this built-in. Double Infinity-I to mail the contents of the web page. Shift Double Infinity-I to mail a link to the page.

FWIW, Safari has the e-mail this built-in. Double Infinity-I to mail the contents of the web page. Shift Double Infinity-I to mail a link to the page.

Sometimes, I am not on my home machine and need to email using Gmail instead of my POP account.

I'm not sure I understand. Which extension are you using?

It's called Gmail this. I have it installed on my FF browser and can email any link. It works very much like email this in Safari and FF but does not require a POP account to work. It uses your webmail account.

It's called Gmail this. I have it installed on my FF browser and can email any link. It works very much like email this in Safari and FF but does not require a POP account to work. It uses your webmail account.

Clever.

Clever.

Yeah, that and the Del.icio.us add-on. I love being able to bookmark things and have them available anywhere with a 'Net connection and not just my home machine.

And of course, the weather add-on that gives me the weather at the bottom of my web page (I know, I could use the Dashboard, but I've never really taken to that feature).

Yeah, that and the Del.icio.us add-on. I love being able to bookmark things and have them available anywhere with a 'Net connection and not just my home machine.

And of course, the weather add-on that gives me the weather at the bottom of my web page (I know, I could use the Dashboard, but I've never really taken to that feature).

I tried del.icio.us once, but didn't stick with it. I think it's because I was more like you then. By that I mean that I was using lots of different computers during the course of the day. Now that I just stick to the one laptop and take that with me, I don't need it much anymore. I guess I'm simple now.

Apple has a technology that it demoed a couple of times where you could carry your iPod around with you and it would save all of your personal settings so that when you plugged it into another computer that computer would look like your home machine. It was supposed to debut in Tiger or the cat before and was even listed on the feature list, but somehow got dropped by the time it shipped. Not that it would have helped all that much on a windows machine anyway.

I know what you mean about the Dashboard weather widget. It's OK. Very pretty at least. But when I want the weather I want to just glance at it (like the HAIF temperature bit!) For that I use WeatherPop. It's always in my title bar, so no matter what app I'm in it's there.

warnings.jpg

I paid $8 to register it about three years ago and the updates (about every six months) have been free. It also has a cool weather screen saver, but I don't use that.

Most importantly, it gives me that "glancability" that's become so important with weather information these days.

Archived