Inner City Roads

When it comes to transportation, we often talk about toll roads, elevated freeways, sunken freeways, new freeway interchanges, subway, light rail, commuter rail, monorail, trolley system and so forth. However, lets get to the basics for a moment. Does the city have any plans to resurface/repair the inner city roads, especially those that are in dire need of repair?

We often complain how the billboards and strip malls contribute to the ugliness of a city. However, some may not realize it, the condition of a road can also go a long way in affecting the look and feel of a city. A smooth, well-marked road along with well-paved sidewalks can enhance your experience of an area. A bumpy road with potholes along with broken sidewalks and faded marks can make even an upscale region look rather neglected. Speaking of which, for some reason, there is a lot more roadwork going in low profile areas. Politics, perhaps?

Talking about roadwork, I have also noticed that construction/utility workers often leave a mess that stays there for a long time after they are gone. You often see a pile of dirt or a dug pit surrounded by orange ribbons. Now I know that construction always create a mess but in some cities they do a good job of hiding that mess. It is just that these little things make you think a city isn

I agree with your sentiments.

What pisses me off are new curbs, sidewalks that are spray painted with fluorescent pink, orange or green utility marking paint not ten minutes after the concrete has set.

Additionally, contractors who cannot or will not return street cuts they make to their previous condition. There's a metal plate in the middle of Dunlevy (near the guild shop) that has been there for about three years - likely forelorn and forgotten.

What pisses me off are new curbs, sidewalks that are spray painted with fluorescent pink, orange or green utility marking paint not ten minutes after the concrete has set.

And a few days later, those utility workers would come, rip apart the concrete or grass, leave a pile of dirt and leave for someone else to cleanup the mess.

Now, to be fair, the inner residential streets in most neighborhoods are fine. You usually see the problem on major roads such Richmond, Wilcrest, Kirkwood, San Felipe, Weslyan, Woodway etc.

I know, I have complained about all this before. I am just wondering if any construction is scheduled for some of these roads.

The city is being fairly cautious with rebuilding some of these thoroughfares. It does not want to spend the money for a complete rebuilt if they will have to rip parts of it up in the recent future.

Weslyan is almost finished repairing the western side of the blvd. It is not a complete repair, but is much needed.

The city along with a lot of money from the federal government after Tropical Storm Allison is planing on reconstructing and enlarging several trunk storm sewers in the city. Since many old storm sewers run directly under the pavement, a complete rebuild of the street is also needed. A project like this was just completed on Kirby through River Oaks. Some may complain that these rich folks got a new street, but the storm sewer they replaced and enlarge will affect a much larger area. A similar project will be getting underway on Kirby near West U. The street will be rebuilt with new enlarged storm sewers.

The city will slowly pick the projects that will have the most benefit for the money spent first. Another solution to some streets is if they fall under a TIRZ. San Felipe from the West Loop to Sage is about to be completely rebuilt. This falls under the Uptown Management District and very little if any city funds will go to it. It is funded by and increase property tax to district members for a set period of time to pay for infastructure improvements. After the time period ends, the tax disappears.

The is what was done in Midtown. Parts of main, areas near Baldwin Park underwent this process.

The City of West Universty has taken it upon itself to raise their property taxes temporarily to rebuild all of their streets. It is progressing quite well.

The city is being fairly cautious with rebuilding some of these thoroughfares.  It does not want to spend the money for a complete rebuilt if they will have to rip parts of it up in the recent future.

Weslyan is almost finished repairing the western side of the blvd.  It is not a complete repair, but is much needed.

The city along with a lot of money from the federal government after Tropical Storm Allison is planing on reconstructing and enlarging several trunk storm sewers in the city.  Since many old storm sewers run directly under the pavement, a complete rebuild of the street is also needed.  A project like this was just completed on Kirby through River Oaks.  Some may complain that these rich folks got a new street, but the storm sewer they replaced and enlarge will affect a much larger area.  A similar project will be getting underway on Kirby near West U.  The street will be rebuilt with new enlarged storm sewers.

The city will slowly pick the projects that will have the most benefit for the money spent first.  Another solution to some streets is if they fall under a TIRZ.  San Felipe from the West Loop to Sage is about to be completely rebuilt.  This falls under the Uptown Management District and very little if any city funds will go to it.  It is funded by and increase property tax to district members for a set period of time to pay for infastructure improvements.  After the time period ends, the tax disappears.

The is what was done in Midtown.  Parts of main, areas near Baldwin Park underwent this process.

The City of West Universty has taken it upon itself to raise their property taxes temporarily to rebuild all of their streets.  It is progressing quite well.

This is good info. I drove on Kirby the other day and I remembered people talking about how bad it was so I was surprised to notice how smooth it was. Now I know it was recently done.

About rich folks getting a new street, well, Hillcroft was done recently as well. Now, I dont know many rich folks living up there. Besides, Memorial, Woodway and San Felipe all of which run through affluent areas aren't in great shape. So this claim isnt valid.

Glad to know that San Felipe would be rebuilt. I almost mentioned West U in my last post to say its roads are bad but now I know they are actually under construction.

I hope Westchase District comes up with its own funds to rebuild Richmond (aka Road To Baghdad) passing through it.

The rest of Kirby is still pretty bad kz. Drive it south from the Southwest Freeway to North Braeswood sometime and you'll see. It's one of the worst streets in the city, and has been neglected for several years because of a major storm sewer project that will be built under Kirby in the next couple of years. Construction on utility relocations has already started between Holcombe and North Braeswood.

The city does have a program to rehabilitate and rebuild streets and there are always streets under construction. It's just that the city is so big, so many of the roads are old, and there's only a limited amount of money to go around. Some of the streets currently being rebuilt are actually in far worse shape than some of the examples given here.

As for streets in Westchase, namely Richmond west of the beltway to Woodland Park Dr., they're actually in better shape now than five years ago. Some of you newer residents didn't get to see Richmond before it was repaired on a section by section basis a few years ago. Granted it wasn't a complete rebuild, and one is still needed, but it's in FAR better shape than it was when I moved to Houston. Same thing with Wilcrest between Westheimer and Harwin, which was totally rebuilt in 1999.

Have patience... they'll get there. And for stuff like that metal plate on Dunlavy, call the 311 hotline and complain, or e-mail the mayor's office. I e-mailed the mayor in January 2004 about a similar plate on the eastbound lanes of Richmond a few feet east of the intersection with Kirby that was there when I moved to Houston that my car was bouncing over several times a week. Within 10 days of me e-mailing him it was gone.

Additionally, contractors who cannot or will not return street cuts they make to their previous condition. There's a metal plate in the middle of Dunlevy (near the guild shop) that has been there for about three years - likely forelorn and forgotten.

Interesting, They are digging up W Drew (my street) and it is really annoying. The workers start arriving at 7:00 am which sends all the neighborhood dogs into a frenzy and then they start with the constant beeping and banging. They have been at work for about 2-3 weeks. I am not sure what they are repairing, but in the evenings all the equipment is left on the side of the road. The metal coverings are reall annoying and loud when cars drive over them at all times throughout the evening. I am fine with all that noise as long as they are making solid improvements. I just have no clue what they are doing.

What really annoyed me was the first day of the project. It was President's day and I got the day off. I was laying in bed sleeping away when these guys started ripping up the street. I was so pissed. My day off and they were making all that racket starting at 7:00. My Fiance who had to work was laughing at me. I had been rubbing in the fact that I had the day off all weekend. Sweet Justice for her.

The rest of Kirby is still pretty bad kz. Drive it south from the Southwest Freeway to North Braeswood sometime and you'll see. It's one of the worst streets in the city, and has been neglected for several years because of a major storm sewer project that will be built under Kirby in the next couple of years. Construction on utility relocations has already started between Holcombe and North Braeswood.

I was about to ask about that section of Kirby but kjb434 already mentioned that part will be getting rebuilt.

By the way, when was the section of Kirby from Westheimer to Southwest freeway was built?

I was about to ask about that section of Kirby but kjb434 already mentioned that part will be getting rebuilt.

By the way, when was the section of Kirby from Westheimer to Southwest freeway was built?

I couldn't tell you for sure, but it was many, many years ago. It was resurfaced last year though, which it needed badly. I think it's due to be rebuilt after the Southwest Freeway-Braeswood section.

The section of Kirby from San Felipe to US 59 will not probaly not be rebuilt for several years now. The current overlay job that was done should last for about 10 maybe 15 years depending on how good the subase is under it. It appear fine when I had to drive on it just after they coldplaned (scraping the old asphalt off the road) it.

The section of Kirby at Westheimer is a high point. Actually, San Felipe to US 59 is a high area of Kirby. This area doesn't have horrible flooding issues because of its elevation. Just some local flooding minor flooding. The storm sewers under this section are not major collection lines like the section from US 59 to Braeswood or from San Felipe to Shepherd.

I e-mailed the mayor in January 2004 about a similar plate on the eastbound lanes of Richmond a few feet east of the intersection with Kirby that was there when I moved to Houston that my car was bouncing over several times a week. Within 10 days of me e-mailing him it was gone.

So that's you who was responsible for finally removing that metal plate? Thank you! I believe that metal plate was there for years...

Thats cool about the reconstruction. I figure they would get some wear out of the new asphalt they laid down first before they rebuild it and work on the section south of US 59 before the section on the north side.

I guess you never know with the city sometimes.

So that's you who was responsible for finally removing that metal plate?  Thank you!  I believe that metal plate was there for years...

You're welcome! I don't know if I'm responsible or not, but I do know it was gone within five days of my e-mail to the mayor about it. It may be coincidental, but I like to think it was my e-mail that got the job done. As for how long it was there, I don't know the full length of time, but it was there for at least four years, because I had been driving over it for that long when I e-mailed the mayor about it. Who knows how long it was there before I moved to Houston.

Thats cool about the reconstruction.  I figure they would get some wear out of the new asphalt they laid down first before they rebuild it and work on the section south of US 59 before the section on the north side.

I guess you never know with the city sometimes.

I think the overlay was mainly done as a interim measure until the street is totally rebuilt in a couple of years. This was done on a section of San Felipe about two years ago that is due to be rebuilt in the next couple of years. The city also did the same on some streets downtown. There are times that a street may be a year or two away from a major reconstruction, but the current pavement is in such horrible condition that it makes sense to overlay it and improve the road during the interim period, even if it means that the new asphalt will be ripped out before it's expected life span is over.

Is that the case for Elgin? They recently did a poor job of laying asphalt on sections of it, but they left some craters at each of the intersections. The whole thing looks really bad, and I hope the city did not have to pay for that.

I don't think the overlay on Elgin is totally finished. I think only the first layer has been put down. Those craters at intersections are there so that when the top layer goes down it will more smoothly line up with the pavement on the cross street (which in Midtown is usually concrete from the recently rebuilt transit streets).

The last couple of years when the city has been overlaying major streets with new asphalt they've been planing the old pavement to get a level surface, then laying a base coat and then a thicker top coat.

My major complaint regarding streets, is the shoddy workmanship on the brand new construction!

Some examples:

Fannin (near the Ventana Apartments) - why is there such a huge and sharp crown in the middle of the road. . .I know crowns help rainwater flow off to the sides, but the slop on this street is crazy! Compare the same street north of Pierce and you see what I'm talking about.

Elgin, McGowan, Gray, etc. when driving down these streets, you feel like your're on a rollercoaster . . .constantly going up and down. The freshly paved asphalt sections are sometimes 30 inches higher than the concrete intersections of the north-south transit streets. It would have added to the cost, but I wished they would just pave all the streets on an even plane.

North and south bound feeder roads on Sam Houston tollway (between 59 and Belaire blvd.) this is possibly the roughest "new" street I've been on.

Ditto for the new exit ramp from the new terminal E at Bush Intercontinental airport.

I keep on wanting to find out who has oversight, and gives the final O.K. when the work is done, and why these contractors get away with such poor work. Might be an Emmy in this for some industrious investigative reporter.

The new north-south transit streets are much lower because they are complete rebuilds. The east west streets in time will be rebuilt, but they are not as critical.

The north-south traffic pattern in mid town area is much greater then the east-west pattern. This is the main reson the north-south streets were completed first. The situation (for example) on Elgin is not a permanent. It just a temporary fix until they can finish.

North and south bound feeder roads on Sam Houston tollway (between 59 and Belaire blvd.) this is possibly the roughest "new" street I've been on.

This one is a TxDOT issue, not the city or HCTRA's fault. Those frontage roads in that area were paved with defective concrete when built in the late 1980s, and the state used a thin-bond concrete to resurface them a few years ago. But the result is a pretty rough ride, and TxDOT really should do a complete rebuild here.