lanscaping sans grass

I'm looking for a groundcover......Recently ripped out a deck, and while I could sod it, I'd prefer a lower maintenance and lower-water option. Plus it's very shady. Not putting in pavers or anything, I just want greenstuff underfoot. I'll put a couple of chairs and a table, maybe hang a dartboard on the fence. Not an 'outdoor room' or anything.

Asian jasmine is nice and I use it elsewhere, but it's sort of tough and crunchy to walk on. Any other ideas?

I'm looking for a groundcover......Recently ripped out a deck, and while I could sod it, I'd prefer a lower maintenance and lower-water option. Plus it's very shady. Not putting in pavers or anything, I just want greenstuff underfoot. I'll put a couple of chairs and a table, maybe hang a dartboard on the fence. Not an 'outdoor room' or anything.

Asian jasmine is nice and I use it elsewhere, but it's sort of tough and crunchy to walk on. Any other ideas?

Hmm...most groundcovers i know of are going to have a little crunch (ha ha) underfoot, or might be too sensitive to handle the traffic.

If you want to lay stepping stones (so that you don't walk on the plants themselves), then Japanese Ardisia is a fantastic ground cover for shadier areas. Otherwise, run-of-the-mill mondo grass can take shade and light foot traffic.

I'd like to find a good groundcover, too! Right now, I'm developing a layout for my tiny yard that eliminates the lawn completely.

For our geographic gardening zone, there isn't much in the way of living groundcovers that can take even light foot traffic. Perhaps the closest is a type of miniature mondo grass that doesn't grow over two inches high. However, it doesn't fill in very rapidly and it is rather expensive. Some people use it as a filler between close-set flagstones or cement stepping stones

In my yard, I'm thinking of using several areas of decomposed granite and pea gravel as water permeable surfaces. Both will be contained with an edging so they don't wash into planted or hardscape sections.

In my yard, I'm thinking of using several areas of decomposed granite and pea gravel as water permeable surfaces. Both will be contained with an edging so they don't wash into planted or hardscape sections.

..and it sticks in your shoes and ruins your wood floors as you walk inside.

I wish I knew the name of it, but the home at 4027 Chatham Ln has a good looking ground cover plant covering their entire yard! I remember speaking to the architect who selected it and he said it would stand up to occassional foot traffic and you never have to trim it.

If anyone knows the name of it then please let me know...

..and it sticks in your shoes and ruins your wood floors as you walk inside.

At my previous house, I had decomposed granite patio areas in the landscaping. Exterior and interior mats at the entry doors took care of the grit.

The hardwood floors in my current house were refinished with a sealer and old-fashioned wax instead of a clear coating applied with a brush. Scratches and dull spots are fixed with a light application of wax and the floor buffer.

Archived