If The Travel Channel Ever Did A Houston Special..

Just curious. I haven't much of a clue. I'd get a Houston celebrity to narrate. I guess I'd include the San Jacinto monument and Johnson Space Center. A piece on the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. The theater district and museums.

Speaking of museums, why don't we have a Plaza of Wax?! I know they're tacky, but they are a lot of fun to visit.

I just thought it might be fun. Not that the Travel Channel will ever do a special on Houston. They don't even mention Houston in their shows about Texas. Their series "Road Trip" did a Texas episode without Houston even mentioned once. I saw a recent special about food in Texas and Houston went ignored. There's a show airing tomorrow morning called "Texas: Home on the Range". Haven't seen it, but I'm going to record it.

Take them to Frenchie's in Clear Lake, and Frenchy's on Scott St.

And also to the Organe Show, Pigdom, and the Beer Can House.

Be damn with the traditional tourist crap. That's the main reason we are neglected - becuase we lack normal crap.

Down with normal.

The travel channel just did a specail about Houston, it was called George Foreman's Houston. It was Hosted by George Foreman, and they showed the tunnel system, The Galleria/Uptown, Special places to get Texas Barbeque, Shopping, Galveston, The San Jacinto Monumet, and much more. It came on like two months ago I think, and they kept playing it.

Take them to Frenchie's in Clear Lake, and Frenchy's on Scott St.

And also to the Organe Show, Pigdom, and the Beer Can House.

Be damn with the traditional tourist crap.  That's the main reason we are neglected - becuase we lack normal crap.

Down with normal.

We got the Funerel Musuem!

We got a HEB on Bellaire, next to FoodTown competing with a coming up "Super Walmart" -okay its not touristy but it IS funny LOL!

Poor BIG Ex-Auchans (Foodtown) just lost to not only HEB, Viet Hoa and NOW Super Walmart!

We got the Funerel Musuem!

We got a HEB on Bellaire, next to FoodTown competing with a coming up "Super Walmart" -okay its not touristy but it IS funny LOL!

Poor BIG Ex-Auchans (Foodtown) just lost to not only HEB, Viet Hoa and NOW Super Walmart!

Funeral musuem would turn people away. It would turn me away, Everytime I think "funeral, I think bad thoughts.

But the old Auchans building is some kind of asian market now right? There are big Chinese letters on the building now.

If by big chinese letters you mean these letters:

F O O D T O W N

:D

I think you're thinking of the new Viet Hoa Supermarket. ;)

Edit: DAMN IT! My wife just told me that they added those chinese letters!  :o DOH!  :blink:

Sorry Citykid..  :unsure:

Told you, They just put them up there, mabe about 2-3 months ago. Last time I was in Houston, I did not see the letters then I went back and the letters where on the building.

Well if they decided to do one on the real Houston make sure they read the driving rules first.

Houston Driving Directions

To help you visitors, the following Houston traffic lore may be helpful:

1. You must learn to pronounce the city name. It is "Ewe-stun", not "Hue-stun." Oh yea, and the road is pronounced "San Fa-lee-pay," not "San Fill-leep" (San Felipe).

2. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. We have our own...Hold on and pray. There is no such thing as a dangerous high-speed chase in Houston. We all drive like that.

3. All directions start with, "Go down to Loop 610".... Which has no beginning and no end.

4. The Chamber of Commerce calls getting through traffic...a "Scenic Drive."

5. The morning rush hour is from 6:00AM to 10:00AM. The evening rush hour is from 3:00PM to 7:00PM.

Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning.

6. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear-ended, cussed out and possibly shot. When you are the First one off the starting line, count to five when the light Turns green before going, to avoid getting hit by the guy running the red light the other way.

7. Kuykendahl Road can ONLY be pronounced by a native Houstonian.

8. Construction on I-10, I-45, US 59 and Loop 610 is a way of Life and a permanent form of entertainment.

9. All unexplained smells are explained by the phrase, "Oh, we must be in Pasadena!!!."

10. If someone actually has their turn signal on, it is probably a factory defect.

11. All old ladies with blue hair in a pink Cadillac have total right-of-way.

12. The minimum acceptable speed on Loop 610 is 85 mph. Anything less is considered downright sissy.

13. The wrought iron on windows in east Houston is NOT ornamental.

14. Never stare at the driver of the car with the bumper sticker that says, "Keep honking, I'm reloading." In fact, don't stare or honk at anyone.

15. If you are in the left lane, and only going 70 mph in a 60 mph zone people are not waving when they go by.

16. The Sam Houston Toll road is our daily version of NASCAR.

17. If it's 100 degrees, Thanksgiving must be next weekend.

18. When in doubt, remember that all unmarked exits lead to Louisiana.

19. You don't have to wait for an exit to get off a freeway, just follow the ruts in the grass to the frontage road like everyone else. This is how Houston residents notify Texas Department of Transportation where exits should have been built.

Well if they decided to do one on the real Houston make sure they read the driving rules first.

Houston Driving Directions

...19. You don't have to wait for an exit to get off a freeway, just follow the ruts in the grass to the frontage road like everyone else. This is how Houston residents notify Texas Department of Transportation where exits should have been built.

Good post :)

Told you, They just put them up there, mabe about 2-3 months ago. Last time I was in Houston, I did not see the letters then I went back and the letters where on the building.

They are sneaky. I remember when Auchan's was brand new. I used to buy beer there. I think I saved $1 a case, but it was worth it. I was also 18 and they never seemed to mind. I guess they figured any underage kid with the balls to purcahse booze there deserved to be sold.

I guess this post has no real redeeming quality. Sorry.