BARC (Bureau of Animal Regulation and Care)

Our family recently decided to adopt two wonderful dogs from BARC (Bureau of Animal Regulation and Care). This was our first experience adopting or "rescuing" a dog. With so many abused and neglected dogs needing a home, this was the only option. In the short period of time they graced our home, Bear and Hondo were loved and cared for.

From the moment Bear (adopted in March 2008) arrived, he was sick. He died April 17, 2008. During his time in the facility, an outbreak of distemper occurred. We were not informed of this when we adopted him. Our second dog, Hondo, had been in BARC for 3 days without being given the necessary shots. We simply could not let him stay another day. We adopted Hondo that day. He died this past Saturday. We did everything possible. Routine trips to the vet, VERGI for treatments, and finally, Animal Emergency Clinic. The disease was simply too relentless and unforgiving.

What we found out is that distemper and other deadly viruses are prevalent in BARC animals. Local rescue organizations and veterinarians constantly see dogs that come out of BARC with distemper or kennel cough. In some cases canine parvovirus is seen as well. All it takes is one sick dog to start spreading these diseases. With distemper nothing can be done to test for it and no cure is available. With parvo and kennel cough you can treat and if the animals immune system is strong, they can overcome the disease. The best way to prevent this however is responsible pet owners. All it takes is a few shots to prevent this.

The City of Houston should be ashamed and embarrassed. I understand the budget for BARC is limited and the allocation of funds are lacking, however something must be done to improve current standards. The policies in place are failing the city and many families like ours.

I'm so very sorry that your dogs couldn't be saved. Obviously, you did everything within your power. Please take comfort in knowing they were in a loving home in their last days.

It sounds like BARC needs to be reviewed, both for funding and administration. Do you know who we can contact to remedy this situation?

I too am very sorry to hear about your loss.

My dog was a rescue from the SPCA, and she came down with kennel cough just days after I adopted her. However, the vet was able to provide me with medication that cleared it up very quickly.

I had no idea it was so serious to a young dog... Im almost glad I was naive because I did not worry about it.

I'm so very sorry that your dogs couldn't be saved. Obviously, you did everything within your power. Please take comfort in knowing they were in a loving home in their last days.

It sounds like BARC needs to be reviewed, both for funding and administration. Do you know who we can contact to remedy this situation?

I am currently drafting an email and letter to every council member, the mayor, controllers office, Harris County Animal Control, Channel 2, Channel 11, Channel 13, Channel 29, The Chronicle, The Houston Press, Friends of BARC, HSPCA, my state representatives in the House and Senate in Austin and Washington, PETA, various rescue organizations, and some other organizations as well. I hope to have the email out today and the letter sent tomorrow.

We also have a website we created that is in its infancy at this point. I can't sit back and let others go through the heartache I suffered. People need to be informed and educated so this does not continue.