East Midtown

roadrunner

bingo. there are laws on the books now that could be enforced. seems last time hpd tried, wayne dolcefino had a field day with officers double dipping.

If Greyhound could keep crime and loitering down and clean up their property, it wouldn't be a big issue. But it seems more like a Greyhound issue than an HPD issue. The El Expresso bus station seems clean and well managed in comparison. Greyhound just doesn't seem interested in maintaining and monitoring their property. It shouldn't be HPD's responsibility to clean up the Greyhound property.

Where the intermodla terminal is planned for, as VicMan said in the post you quoted. That's at N. Main & Burnett, according to Metro's web site.

The N. Main & Burnett block is adjacent to the rail tracks north of DT. Is that the line that Amtrak uses? I know they have a line to San Antonio and to Beaumont and Louisiana. Seems like that would be a reasonable place for a bus station as well as a light rain connection.

If Greyhound could keep crime and loitering down and clean up their property, it wouldn't be a big issue. But it seems more like a Greyhound issue than an HPD issue. The El Expresso bus station seems clean and well managed in comparison. Greyhound just doesn't seem interested in maintaining and monitoring their property. It shouldn't be HPD's responsibility to clean up the Greyhound property.

last time i was in midtown, i didn't see the crime happening on greyhound property. but did see the panhandling in midtown, homeless under the pierce, male prostitution on mcgowan, thieves stealing landscaping sprinkler equipment, etc. yes greyhound can do what they can on their property but they have no authority to deal with the problem everywhere else in midtown.

last time i was in midtown, i didn't see the crime happening on greyhound property. but did see the panhandling in midtown, homeless under the pierce, male prostitution on mcgowan, thieves stealing landscaping sprinkler equipment, etc. yes greyhound can do what they can on their property but they have no authority to deal with the problem everywhere else in midtown.

I live in Midtown. I've also seen drug dealing and plenty of panhandling, usually at the major intersections and often at gas stations.

The Greyhound property is also a nexus for these activities. I've seen what look like drug deals, people walking right out into traffic, and plenty of other odd behavior on that block, which I can only imagine is due to drug use or mental conditions that require professional help. Those that don't live in Midtown may not care much about the problem, but as a resident I do.

I think it's unlikely that HPD can monitor every street corner in the city. But targeting specific problem areas (like the Greyhound property) seems like an effective and manageable strategy.

Metro has designed the intermodal terminal with space to accommodate Greyhound and the international buses, but hasn't even spoken to Greyhound.

"However, Wilson indicated Friday that a North Side Intermodal Terminal may have to wait. He said Metro plans to build the North line through the site, reroute some streets and leave parcels of land open for development, which could include a terminal."

Chron, 4/7/08

www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2008_4544958

I think it's unlikely that HPD can monitor every street corner in the city. But targeting specific problem areas (like the Greyhound property) seems like an effective and manageable strategy.

seems is a BIG word in this instance.

seems is a BIG word in this instance.

That is a VAGUE sentence fragment.

My point is that HPD has a limited number of officers, so it's not possible for HPD to constantly police every corner of Midtown. But they can work with business owners to focus their attention on the problem areas. It seems logical to me that you fix the problem areas before the non-problem areas. I'm not sure what your point is.

My point is that HPD has a limited number of officers, so it's not possible for HPD to constantly police every corner of Midtown. But they can work with business owners to focus their attention on the problem areas. It seems logical to me that you fix the problem areas before the non-problem areas. I'm not sure what your point is.

I was trying to say that perhaps if you can get the neighbors to convince greyhound into footing the bill for constables that would concentrate on a 3 block radius around the station then that would severely curtail a number of problems. I'm sure they would enjoy Metro Police for backup.

• 2 weeks later...
The presence of the Greyhound bus station shows a lack of strong leadership and vision for the midtown/downtown area. There is a very noticeable lack of development in the blocks surrounding it. I know people who specifically avoid driving down Gray/Webster because they don't want to pass by the Greyhound station.

Once you get about 3 or 4 blocks away from the bus station, however, the area improves. I would have a hard time believing that crime is any worse on the east side of midtown unless your within a few blocks of the Greyhound station.

I've lived on the east side near McGowen for over 6 years and have never had any crime activity. My neighbors had a couple potted plants stolen a few years ago, but that's about the worst I've heard. The only thing about any part of Midtown is that you will be occasionally asked for change by a homeless person. This is an almost guaranteed when you stop at any gas station in Midtown.

Well said. I've always pointed out that our leadership is blundering at best.

Archived